Macan 2014-Current

Macan GTS Option Questions for Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts
Default Macan GTS Option Questions for Owners

Considering a Macan GTS and had a couple option/ride quality questions.

Suspension

Two questions. First, in normal air suspension setting and normal PASM, how firm is the ride? It is supple and not pounding? Second, is Terrain mode usable in normal driving and, if so, what is the ride quality? I'm really only interested in it for snow, but still curious.

Brakes

I'm a huge PCCB fan, but also want snow performance. Two Qs here as well. First, how are the standard brakes on the GTS in terms of stopping performance? I've heard mixed comments on them. Second, has anyone been able to run 19" winter wheels over PCCBs? I didn't think the 19's would clear PCCB calipers, but the configurator allows them to be spec'd together. Curious if someone has actually done it.

Panoramic Roof/Headroom

I'm not a big pano roof guy and would skip it if it would buy me an extra inch of rear headroom, which I find very tight at 6'1". Does anyone know for sure whether the fixed roof gives you additional headroom? In pictures it sure looks like it does.

Rails/Window Trim

One of the colors I'm considering is Rhodium, but I want roof rails. Don't want aluminum window trim (which have to match the rails), so thinking black, but curious whether that much black would look weird on Rhodium. Looks odd on the configurator.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:22 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhodium GTS

Here are some pics of Rhodium with black roof rails.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32252928&Log=0
Old 08-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Thanks. Don't like that look personally. Guess I'm going to have to go with my first choice, black. Love black, just don't think it'll hold up as well taking a beating in a snowy locale. Love white on the GTS as well, but have the same issue with the roof rails. Too much contrast in black, and I just don't think I can do the aluminum window surrounds.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Ride quality is very subjective, but to me, the ride is very good on the normal setting. I haven't tried the terrain setting yet, but I prefer the control I get with the sport II setting on the shocks. Even at that level, I find the ride very supple, despite the poor road quality around here.

I don't track the Macan, but find the standard steel brakes are more than adequate in public road driving. There is good cold bite and stopping power, but I haven't really wrung it out with repeated heavy use. I personally prefer the steel brakes in this application, as a couple of rocks could ruin your day with ceramic rotors.

I'm 6'0" and find there is plenty of headroom even with the pano roof. I also have the optional 18 way seats, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I have black rails on our Sapphire Blue car, with body color side inserts, and don't think it's too black, but this question is entirely subjective, so you may prefer a different rail color.

I suggest you try to find a car with these options (even if it's a Turbo) and try it yourself, as the above come down to subjective preferences that only you can really judge. We really like our GTS and are constantly amazed by how big its performance envelope.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Thanks for the comments. Re: headroom, my issue isn't front headroom, it's rear headroom. I'm 6'1" and my head brushes the roof sitting in the rear seat. Every inch would make a difference to me in terms of being able to put adult males back there in a pinch.

You hit on my other PCCB concern. Gravel getting caught up in there and scoring a rotor. I think PCCBs are probably just not worth it on this car if there is any intention to be a snowy climate.

I also may just forgo the rails if my ski bag will fit inside okay without too much intrusion over the center console cubby. I'm going to measure that on a dealer car. I don't like dealing with ski racks anyway.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:14 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Thanks for the comments. Re: headroom, my issue isn't front headroom, it's rear headroom. I'm 6'1" and my head brushes the roof sitting in the rear seat. Every inch would make a difference to me in terms of being able to put adult males back there in a pinch. You hit on my other PCCB concern. Gravel getting caught up in there and scoring a rotor. I think PCCBs are probably just not worth it on this car if there is any intention to be a snowy climate. I also may just forgo the rails if my ski bag will fit inside okay without too much intrusion over the center console cubby. I'm going to measure that on a dealer car. I don't like dealing with ski racks anyway.
Ah. Rear seat headroom. I never sit back there! But ok, I tried it just now and there's a good 2 inches above my head back there, which is fine so long as you're not wearing a racing helmet! So I'm thinking the length of torsos vary, since we're only an inch apart in overall height.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 480 Posts

Even the sportiest shock setting on the Macan GTS rides better than most SUVs while retaining pretty awesome handling characteristics. It's THAT good. I've got a rhodium with black roof rails and its fine but the car wasnt optioned with the extra black side blades and instead has body color ones with the GTS text on it. I actually find it's a good mix.

The PCCB vs Steel...if the car was in dry weather only, I'd go for ceramics. If you need to use it in winter, I wouldnt risk it with a mixture of the cold temperature and possibility for debris that gets in there (or salt rocks) scoring the rotor (as others have mentioned). The stock brakes are fine. I REALLY wish there was a 4 pot in the back vs 2...but they work well and are nice and firm. Honestly no idea for the roof...mine has pano, I'm 6 ft 2 and I fit in the back fine...wouldnt want to go more than an hour but its no problem.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 AM
Ruby Red
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB points to remember

The on line owners manual sometimes talks about using a spare tire and other times about a can of fix flat. I couldn't figure out why until I realized that if you get the PCCB option the spare tire will not fit, so no spare if you go with the ceramic brakes. Frankly I would never use the spare unless I was very very desperate. But that is a consideration. Also it is recommended that you use two alignment pins when changing a tire with PCCBs. I always use two pins when changing from winter to summer tires just because it's easier.

Quick Reply: Macan GTS Option Questions for Owners