Macan 2014-Current

Standard tire for 21" wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard tire for 21" wheel

Today, I test drove 2015 Macan S with 21" wheel.
It had a summer tire and the dealer told me that, in order to get CPOed, Porsche requires the summer tire since summer tires are standard for 21" wheel.
Can anyone confirm this?

I liked the performance of the car, but this is kind of cool off for me.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Why?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Why?
Even though I live in NC, I need to drive to snow belt during the winter from time to time.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mynextcar
Today, I test drove 2015 Macan S with 21" wheel.
It had a summer tire and the dealer told me that, in order to get CPOed, Porsche requires the summer tire since summer tires are standard for 21" wheel.
Can anyone confirm this?

I liked the performance of the car, but this is kind of cool off for me.
This is actually true. When I bought my '15, the only tire approved by Porsche AG for the 21" wheel was a Summer max-performance tire. You've got a choice between Continentals and Michelins, at least. The other sizes have all-season tires as an approved option.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:58 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cviles
This is actually true. When I bought my '15, the only tire approved by Porsche AG for the 21" wheel was a Summer max-performance tire. You've got a choice between Continentals and Michelins, at least. The other sizes have all-season tires as an approved option.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Much better to purchase an extra set of Winter wheels and tires. We bought a set of Porsche 19-inch with Dunlop N-Rated Winter tires already mounted and balanced. Extremely pleased with the way they handle.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:00 AM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Much better to purchase an extra set of Winter wheels and tires. We bought a set of Porsche 19-inch with Dunlop N-Rated Winter tires already mounted and balanced. Extremely pleased with the way they handle.
I concur that this is ultimately the best way to maximize enjoyment of the performance of Macan. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for storing 4 wheels.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:32 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

As an option -

Many mechanics, tire shops, and even car dealers offer off-season tire storage. Google "Winter Tire Storage Chapel Hill" and see what you find. Pricing is usually around $20/month.

There are also a lot of ways you can hang your offseason wheels from your garage walls, like this offering from Griot's.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:06 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WJGreer
As an option -

Many mechanics, tire shops, and even car dealers offer off-season tire storage. Google "Winter Tire Storage Chapel Hill" and see what you find. Pricing is usually around $20/month.

There are also a lot of ways you can hang your offseason wheels from your garage walls, like this offering from Griot's.
Thank you for the ideas. Offering from Griot's looks good.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM
ctdwp
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are going to be driving in snow often, I would lean to getting all season tires for your 21's. I had a Cayenne GTS before my Macan GTS and had a second set of wheels/tires and it's a pain to haul them to the dealer and go in twice a year to do a swap (unless you are going to do it yourself). Most places around here will not store them and even if they did, not sure I would want to leave them to get damaged or lost. Every swap increases your chance of getting scratches (I would notice new little scratches after every swap with three different dealers).

I did that with my last few cars and decided to avoid that this time and got my Macan GTS with 20 inch Spyders and all season tires. No more swapping, taking up space in my garage and also having to sell my winter wheel sets when I trade the car in.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ctdwp
Unless you are going to be driving in snow often, I would lean to getting all season tires for your 21's. I had a Cayenne GTS before my Macan GTS and had a second set of wheels/tires and it's a pain to haul them to the dealer and go in twice a year to do a swap (unless you are going to do it yourself). Most places around here will not store them and even if they did, not sure I would want to leave them to get damaged or lost. Every swap increases your chance of getting scratches (I would notice new little scratches after every swap with three different dealers).

I did that with my last few cars and decided to avoid that this time and got my Macan GTS with 20 inch Spyders and all season tires. No more swapping, taking up space in my garage and also having to sell my winter wheel sets when I trade the car in.
Thanks, ctdwp, for sharing valuable first hand experiences!!!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Buy the car, then purchase the wheels and tires you want and sell the 21-inch set-up that came off the car...or make it a condition of sale that the dealer put on the wheels and tires you want.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Buy the car, then purchase the wheels and tires you want and sell the 21-inch set-up that came off the car...or make it a condition of sale that the dealer put on the wheels and tires you want.
NC Trackcat, thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately, I am not good at trading, and thus, want to get a car with less hassle.

I tried to negotiate a trade with AS tire at the dealer. The dealer told me that if they put AS tire, the car is not CPOed anymore. That is the point I started this thread.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

But if they (or you) put on Porsche wheels and Porsche-approved tires, there's no reason why it can't be CPO'd. Worst case, buy the car, then change out the wheels and tires to whatever you prefer and sell the ones you took off.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

But if they (or you) put on Porsche wheels and Porsche-approved tires, there's no reason why it can't be CPO'd. Worst case, buy the car, then change out the wheels and tires to whatever you prefer and sell the ones you took off.
Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply: Standard tire for 21" wheel