Macan 2014-Current

Used Turbo? vs. New GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Default Used Turbo? vs. New GTS?

Test drove a Macan GTS the other day, loved it.

But I'm also seeing tons of very lightly used Macan Turbo's on the market and considering that as an alternative, mostly due to the value.

Quite a few 2015's and even a few 2016's with super low mileage (2,000, 5,000, 7,000, etc) selling for around $68-$72K.

Wondering why there are so many extremely low mileage used Macan Turbo's on the market?

And if I do buy used? Any thoughts on 'must have' options? Ideally I'd like Air Suspension w/ PASM, Sport Chrono, and Sport Exhaust, but I'm not finding all three on many offerings.

Finally, anyone have seat time in both a GTS and a Turbo? Thoughts and comparisons between the two?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 277 Posts

Finding a fully dressed-out, low mileage Turbo in that price range with warranty left would be very tempting. Perhaps those were initially purchased by people who re-assessed their needs for such a vehicle. Their loss=your gain. The only problem we have with ours is finding more excuses to drive it!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 578 Posts

A used Turbo is a GREAT ride and I think some people just may have bought them as a second and never drove them much.

If you are considering a GTS I would suggest driving one. They sit lower, sound and drive more aggressive (if that is what you want). Either is a great ride.

If electronic options are important to you then consider the GTS with Apple Play etc...
Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM
986Prozet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of seat time in both here,
The GTS is the hot new ticket but if it were me I would go for a used Turbo. As I am sure you are aware the HP increments are 340 360 and 400 so it's a bigger step from GTS to Turbo than it is from S to GTS. 400 seems like a lot but the Macan is heavy (roughly 500 lbs less than a Cayenne depending on options).
Like Zues said though the new PCM is light years better than the previous one so that should weigh on your decision as well.

As for the GTS sitting lower it does sit 15MM lower as default but if you got a turbo with Air suspension you could make that adjustment manually. As for the sound A Turbo (3.6L) with sports exhaust will sound more aggressive than a GTS (3.0L) with sports exhaust.

For options Sport Chrono, Entry and drive, sport exhaust would be ones to seek out.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Daohaus
Instructor

Im a little biased, GTS but that extra 40hp though and the 3.6l motor...vs the 3.0l

But that new PCM is simply amazing, just amazing
Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the 16 S and Turbo ... Neither was for me ... Neither seemed 'quick' enough and the Turbo especially felt way too 'luxury' and not enough sport. Maybe it was the way it was optioned. Decided to wait for the 17 GTS for more sportiness and the new PCM. Although the Turbo has more HP, it feels better delivered in the GTS and the GTS feels (to me) more as I would expect a Porsche to feel. I still don't like having to push the Sport button every time I get into it though!

Disclaimer I did come from 991TTS so everything felt a bit slow after that!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a perfect 2016 Turbo for sale. This might be exactly what you want. My loss = your gain http://www.ebay.com/itm/162099153556...84.m1555.l2649
Old 06-10-2016, 12:17 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking the other day and feel like there are a lot of used Macan's on the market. For a car that gets very positive reviews I did not expect that. I'm planning to drive one next week.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by zweebach
I was looking the other day and feel like there are a lot of used Macan's on the market. For a car that gets very positive reviews I did not expect that. I'm planning to drive one next week.
You are absolutely correct... There are tons of very low mileage used Macan Turbo's on the market right now at fantastic prices.

One in particular I'm considering is a perfect and nicely equipped 2016 with less than 3,000 miles on it at $65,000... $23,000 off original sticker! I'm also seeing super low mileage 2015 CPO Macan Turbo's in the high $60's.

Still plenty of folks asking in the mid to high seventies for used Macan Turbo's, but they don't seem to be selling at that price.

That said, test drove a 2017 GTS and a 2016 Turbo back-to-back yesterday, both had air suspension, sport chrono, and sport exhaust (turbo also had torque vectoring) and I still prefer the GTS hands down. Dealer will do about 6% off a new 2017 and 12% off leftover new 2016's., but a used Turbo still entices me as a huge chunk of depreciation has already been taken out of it.

Why so many used Macan Turbo's? Good question. One comment I've heard from a few sellers and dealers is they traded it because it was too small. Yes, it's pretty small, but you think someone could figure that out before they bought it? Second theory I've heard is that most Turbo buyers where the early adopter, want to have the latest and greatest folks, and that quite a few are now moving into the GTS which actually drives much sportier than the Turbo even though it is a less expensive than the Turbo. Whatever the reason, good times for used Macan Turbo buyers...
Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
You are absolutely correct... There are tons of very low mileage used Macan Turbo's on the market right now at fantastic prices.

One in particular I'm considering is a perfect and nicely equipped 2016 with less than 3,000 miles on it at $65,000... $23,000 off original sticker! I'm also seeing super low mileage 2015 CPO Macan Turbo's in the high $60's.

Still plenty of folks asking in the mid to high seventies for used Macan Turbo's, but they don't seem to be selling at that price.

That said, test drove a 2017 GTS and a 2016 Turbo back-to-back yesterday, both had air suspension, sport chrono, and sport exhaust (turbo also had torque vectoring) and I still prefer the GTS hands down. Dealer will do about 6% off a new 2017 and 12% off leftover new 2016's., but a used Turbo still entices me as a huge chunk of depreciation has already been taken out of it.

Why so many used Macan Turbo's? Good question. One comment I've heard from a few sellers and dealers is they traded it because it was too small. Yes, it's pretty small, but you think someone could figure that out before they bought it? Second theory I've heard is that most Turbo buyers where the early adopter, want to have the latest and greatest folks, and that quite a few are now moving into the GTS which actually drives much sportier than the Turbo even though it is a less expensive than the Turbo. Whatever the reason, good times for used Macan Turbo buyers...
Interesting comments on size. I think this is simply a matter of comparison. In contrast to the Spyder and 993 I drive the Macan seems, well, palacious!
I love it and is tons of room for my at 5' 10". Just sayin'!
Old 06-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I think a lot of early adopters bought the car sight unseen, or certainly without any extended seat time, and later found the car not quite the "big 911" that they might have expected. It handles well for an SUV but also rides well, which some think too soft for "sport". I also think those who like the car may have traded to a GTS, which in my opinion is the sweet spot for this car (though I'm biased, as we just got one on ED). I think the Macan is the ideal small SUV/crossover, and you can't go wrong as between Turbo and GTS.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a Macan Turbo. Haven't driven the GTS but it's hard to imagine picking a new one over a low mile Turbo for the same price. Get a CPO and the turbo will have even more warranty than the new one!

There are really no must-have options but if you're buying Porsche because you want an SUV that drives as much like their sports cars, then I highly recommend the air suspension and PASM. If you're into the aesthetics, the red full leather interior and Turbo wheels are my picks. The last option I made sure to get was the pano roof for fun
Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 881 Likes on 366 Posts

I just got a 17GTS with the turbo wheels...very happy with it and the new PCM is very cool.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:07 PM
parealtor
Racer

there are 69 Macan turbos listed on porscheusa.com right now.

that seems like a lot. Seriously considering shooting out a few offers to colors I like and see if I can grab one for $62K to $65K
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 AM
stever996
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Shoot 'em! Will anybody be hurt?

Quick Reply: Used Turbo? vs. New GTS?