Macan 2014-Current

'17 Macan GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:43 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts
Default '17 Macan GTS

Guys what do you think about the new Macan GTS as it relates to the vehicle and its competition.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 590 Posts

It's, uhhh, freakin' AWESOME? I have one on order...

Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What competition ? Audi doesn't bring its best wagons to North America! ;-)

Other vehicles do outclass the Macan in some measures, but utility and features come down to personal needs/preference. When you do your cross-shopping, you might consider taking a Macan Turbo with Air Suspension in lowest setting for a test drive -- the GTS wouldn't be worlds apart from that overall.

If like me you find that handling is more compelling than just HP, I would love to see what a base Macan with a chipped engine and lowered springs could do. 200# off the nose can only help things.

Drive 'em and report to us what you find!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:46 PM
sirwilliamaye
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
What competition ? Audi doesn't bring its best wagons to North America! ;-)

Other vehicles do outclass the Macan in some measures, but utility and features come down to personal needs/preference. When you do your cross-shopping, you might consider taking a Macan Turbo with Air Suspension in lowest setting for a test drive -- the GTS wouldn't be worlds apart from that overall.

If like me you find that handling is more compelling than just HP, I would love to see what a base Macan with a chipped engine and lowered springs could do. 200# off the nose can only help things.

Drive 'em and report to us what you find!
Very well said. The first GTS in my area is hitting the lot next week. Cant wait to see it in person. When people ask me how i like the Macan compared to another SUV of the same size, i say that it doesnt drive like a SUV at all. Very planted with minimal body roll. Plus 340hp on the base (for now) Macan S isnt too shabby either.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
willyspub
Advanced

We picked up my wife's 2017 GTS on Friday. Turned in her 2014 Audi SQ5.

Obviously out-handles the SQ5 easily. It's also faster although it doesn't "feel" as fast because the engine is not nearly as torque-y as the supercharged Audi.

The sport exhaust sounds great, much better than any S or Turbo Macan I've heard. Not sure if they worked in some magic like they did on the Cayman GTS exhaust. The quad tailpipes are huge and super thick.

I can report back with more thoughts and pics if folks are interested.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by willyspub

Obviously out-handles the SQ5 easily. It's also faster although it doesn't "feel" as fast because the engine is not nearly as torque-y as the supercharged Audi.

The sport exhaust sounds great, much better than any S or Turbo Macan I've heard. Not sure if they worked in some magic like they did on the Cayman GTS exhaust. The quad tailpipes are huge and super thick.

Pics and driving reports always welcome!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

. . . .
YES PLEASE!

Please verify if the ride height is in fact 15 lower than a standard air suspension. PCNA doesn't know! After I enquired, the web site was tweaked on that point but is still poorly written.

List options.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:20 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm waiting for mine to come in the next month!

How's the AS (air suspension) on the GTS? Do you think it's any different from the Turbo AS?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Need a separate thread for the GTS. Grats btw!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine came in. I was pretty convinced after the Porsche world road show test drive on the Auto X course and not get the glass roof. I can feel the weight on top and makes the rear roof too low. I think it's the best driving SUV in the world. Still need to test drive the GLA 45 but I had a CLA 45 and sold due to the crappy tranny and super cramped interior.

I would say it's the drivers SUV top choice.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:47 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

How much room did you get back by not getting the sun roof?

My dealer said its only about 1/2 an inch, but they don't really know for sure
Old 03-25-2016, 04:19 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight
How much room did you get back by not getting the sun roof?

My dealer said its only about 1/2 an inch, but they don't really know for sure
I'm 6 foot tall and it's a matter being able to sit back there vs my head hits and I do not fit.

Heard it's 4cm or 1.57 inches which is quit a bit. It's all personal preference. To me I cannot stand having 4 doors and not being useable and too top heavy. I got the GTS due to the better driving feel and if I didn't need headroom I'd spec on a Macan or Macan S.

So far only cons are brakes don't feel anywhere as nice as GT cars or standard 981/991 etc.. More on/off feel and seats can be made a tad softer since it is a SUV and not a sports car.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:34 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, I'm 6' 2" so I understand the headroom issues

I wish there were a non-sunroof Macan around here to compare the difference.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Rear seat

Originally Posted by eflight
Thanks, I'm 6' 2" so I understand the headroom issues

I wish there were a non-sunroof Macan around here to compare the difference.
I am 6'4 and as long as the front seat is not as far back as it will go the ride is fine. Not sure I would want to go from LA to NY though but in the back of anything would not be good.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:50 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtr

Mine came in. I was pretty convinced after the Porsche world road show test drive on the Auto X course and not get the glass roof. I can feel the weight on top and makes the rear roof too low. I think it's the best driving SUV in the world. Still need to test drive the GLA 45 but I had a CLA 45 and sold due to the crappy tranny and super cramped interior.

I would say it's the drivers SUV top choice.
I have a GTS on order and am trading in my S. I've also skipped on the pano roof for driving dynamics reasons. The pano roof adds about 100KG (thick glass panels and structural strengthening for the panel) to the worst possible place in the Macan. Removing this lowers the centre of gravity of the vehicle and considerably improves the handling characteristics. I've also noticed that, more often then not, when they are providing cars to journalists for review they tend to give them Macan's without the pano roof.

Quick Reply: '17 Macan GTS