Roof rack adapters ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:18 AM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Roof rack adapters ?

Hi
I have a 2016 Macan S with the factory option roof rails. I have a collection of Yakima rack pieces that I've been using for years across all of my prior cars. I was hoping that the factory rack adapters would work (they worked for our old X5 and for an Audi Avant), but it seems like they won't and it looks like I'll need to buy the Porsche rack kit. I would like to stick with my bike mounting trays though - does anyone know if there is a Yakima to Porsche Rack adapter available ? I've Googled it and checked the usual suspects (Suncoast, Yakima, etc) but haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance !
Old 10-16-2015, 04:11 AM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Right now it looks like Yakima has no adapter kit for the Macan. They make a "Railgrab" foot that looks like it should fit, but according to the website it doesn't. Wierd.

That's why I'm switching to Thule. Options abound with the Swedes: One kit for those without Macan factory rails, two options for those with factory rails:

For a Macan with no factory rails (3 parts):
- "Aeroblade" bars, 53 inch long, aluminum, in silver or black
- Rapid Traverse foot pack #480R
- fit kit #1762

For a Macan with factory roof rails (2 parts):
- "Aeroblade Edge" bars #7602
- AE Foot kit #4050

OR

- AeroBlade ARB47
- Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R

Each has pros and cons and will cost about $450-$500 total. You can buy adapters to use your current bike carrier (any manufacturer) on Thule bars.

I was hesitant because I always thought the old Thule square bars were noisier than other companies' round bars, but Thule has a few new bar shapes. I even took a test ride with a friend. Without question, the Thule aero bars are quieter than the old square bars or the round Yakima bars.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info; I was about to pull the trigger on the Porsche racks but the Thule racks would be more versatile and are less expensive. Did you wind up going with the Thule also - if so, which ones and how are they ?

Quick Reply: Roof rack adapters ?