Macan 2014-Current

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road Trip

Going on a road trip for Labor Day weekend.

Destination: Bass Lake. (4 hour drive)
Concern: Road rash and other environmental elements
Contributing Factors: Front end is not wrapped yet. Also have not installed Radiator protection grids yet

Possible solutions: Get a rental. Take the Prius. Borrow brother's 4-Runner. Or take the Macan but put some blue painters tape on all vulnerable areas?

What say you?

I'm thinking: Rental. F*ck the Prius. Forget the brothers' car. Terribly miss the Macan.

Last edited by Rubik; 08-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd take the Macan and try to be a bit careful.

Your trip is kinda what it's designed for after all.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

You can take care of the radiator protection by reading the prior thread on the subject and getting the material at HD or Lowes. It's a 15 minute job at most. As for the road rash, you can get temporary clear bra material at most auto stores now which will tide you over until you can get a professional job done. Just do the leading edge of the hood and aft of the wheels. Unless you get behind a gravel truck with a full load, you should be o.k.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just at bass lake last weekend, roads are real good but it will be very busy that weekend. Take the macan, it will be a fun ride.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Powereng
Was just at bass lake last weekend, roads are real good but it will be very busy that weekend. Take the macan, it will be a fun ride.
Actually, after I wrote this thread, I started to make plans to take the Macan. But now that you have crisply reminded me that "...it will be very busy that weekend" another element just came to my mind: Parking! We all know what happens when parking is sh*t. You end up in some f*cked up spot followed by door dings from some ***** in a 10 year old ford who opens his door without any consideration for the adjacent car or his own door hinges. Screw that!

Rental it is!

Last edited by Rubik; 08-26-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a car?! Just drive it, it will be fine.

Your roads in the U.S. are not any worse that the ones we have (just returned from 2.5 weeks vacation from New Englang, did 1500 miles, all fine, and have probably done another 10,000+ miles in other parts of the US, never any issues).

In the German forum, discussion on wrapped front ends rarely occur and never seen anything on radiator protection for the Macan / Cayenne (sometimes a topic for the 911 and Cayman / Boxster).

Would never take a rental for a 4 hour trip, that's what I have two Porsche for.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

The only thing that would bother me would be having to park near or under pine trees. Pine sap is terrible on paint. The only good pine tree is a dead one cut up for lumber!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The only thing that would bother me would be having to park near or under pine trees. Pine sap is terrible on paint. The only good pine tree is a dead one cut up for lumber!
Agree with that as well.

Quick Reply: Road Trip