considering a macan turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default considering a macan turbo

Hi all,
I am considering a 16 macan turbo that is at my dealer. I am wondering a few things that I am guessing some of you know the answers to:

1) The car does not have sport chrono. Launch control is something that I would want because I have the maturity of a 5 year old. Sun Coast has a retrofit kit and I am wondering if any of you have gone this route and how it worked out.

2) Has anyone figured out (or are they close to figuring out) how to get the 440 hp of the engine with a ecu reflash or something similar?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

so i have a 15 Macan Turbo, I can't say its a car that I even think about launching but I'm just not a launch control guy never done it on my TTS or GT3.

I've been waiting for a flash for awhile now, doesn't exist yet. I always felt like it was underpowered for a P-car with the Turbo label slapped on it. But i think because its so smooth, when i find myself driving aggressively i realize how fast it really is, just so smooth. but still would like to see a reliable flash from someone.

jeff
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

drwuss, just how often to you anticipate using launch control? You can do the same thing with your brake and accelerator pedals. As for the extra 40 hp, someone will undoubtedly come up with a way to extract money from our wallets. Other than the sport chrono, if the car is what you want and the price is right, do it!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is just so smooth. I have never used the launch control in it and I have in my 911. I do believe that some will come up with a flash to get some more out of this but what will it actually get you? The Gts that has more HP than a 911S is .1 second faster to 60. That time can be made up by hitting the light faster. Remember that it is still a SUV and not a sports car, people have tracked these already and the end problem is not power..lots of that available but brakes, even with the larger brakes you get with the turbo model, they just can't handle lots of laps on a track.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I would say pick it up if you like it. The launch control? Go to your local amusement park if you really need that. The Sport Chrono? I know of KNOW ONE that uses the wart-clock, but may put it on to sharpen throttle response and even that is not super noticeable. The big options for the Macan Turbo seem to be the extra brakes and the Air Suspension. I've driven the S and the Turbo and I can not really tell the difference in power. There's more than enough power, flash or no flash, to get into trouble! So it comes down more to options. If this Turbo has options you like, pick it up.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:14 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Macan has the air suspension PASM combo and PTV. I would use the LC, not everyday but enough to justify the $1500 or so it would cost to add. I do in the cayman and think it would be fun with a cartoonish looking suv. My concerns with the after build sport+ (or sport chrono) option is not getting the full effect, like missing transmission settings or something like that.

Tech Art has a piggy back unit that supposably bumps output to 450hp. I haven't gone full nerd on any of this yet, but extra beans under the hood will be appreciated passing trucks/campers/tourists in the 10k+ mountain passes I frequent. It may sound funny that I would be all gung ho to mod what would be the DD suv, and be happy leaving the toy car cayman as it is, but the hp in the toy car wound not help my skill set much at drivers events.

Quick Reply: considering a macan turbo