Macan 2014-Current

PDK Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDK Clutch

Before I begin, I just want to say that I am really fond of the PDK transmission and the paddle-shifters. I was just screwing around on the Porsche website the other day and I noticed that the only other model that has paddle-shifters that are similar are the 911s; the Boxters' and Caymans' are the button-on-the-steering-wheel type which I'm not crazy about. I don't do anything crazy with it but I love merging into traffic on the freeway; downshift from 6th to 5th or if reasonable to 4th (while still trying to keep the RPM less than 4K) and it just flys.

So I started thinking yesterday, how long before I need to change the dual clutch? And is it even serviceable or you have to get a new tranny?

I read on the 991 forum that supposedly it's going to last 100K miles or more. Well, that's nice, but what about afterwards? When it's time, do you just replace the tranny or can the double clutch be serviced for a reasonable cost?

If anyone of you has more information or knowledge on this topic, I'd love to hear it.

Our Driving Style:
Weekdays: Wifey DD in mild city traffic. Drives in auto mode. 10 miles each way.
Weekends: I drive primarily to go to the beach etc with family. Highway, city, and mountain driving mix. 200 miles max. Mostly auto wit the occasional downshift.

P.S. BTW, since PDK is standard on the Macan S and still a $3200 option on Boxters and Caymans, it makes the Macan the most fiscally responsible choice.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go find the You Tube video of a 911 Turbo doing 100 launches in a row full throttle. My guess is it will last forever.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Go find the You Tube video of a 911 Turbo doing 100 launches in a row full throttle. My guess is it will last forever.
Saw it already. My guess is really the same but I welcome all opinions.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:01 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory 991 with PDK that was used for the 100 "launches" is probably the one that as of a year ago had 15,000 km's of only "launches" on it and at that distance no issues with the transmission whatsoever. It seems that PDK is very strongly built.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

I figured I'll run a poll on the 997 forum. Here is a link https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...lity-poll.html
Old 06-18-2015, 02:24 PM
freestreamt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for jumping in but this is an interesting topic. Was wondering what about routine maintenance a pdk vs manual or even a traditional auto?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freestreamt1
Sorry for jumping in but this is an interesting topic. Was wondering what about routine maintenance a PDK vs manual or even a traditional auto?
Manual: Periodic clutch kit replacement. Every 15K-80K+ miles depending on driving style.

Auto: No routine maintenance. The tranny breaks after certain mileage; under mild driving conditions it can last the intended life of the car. Once it breaks, it has to be disassembled and rebuilt.

PDK: 2 types: dry & wet

Dry: Every 15K-50K mile clutch replacement. More frequent if a lot of stop and go traffic vs. highway

Wet: No routine maintenance. The clutch goes after certain mileage depending on use history; under mild driving conditions it can last the intended life of the car. This is what's being said anyway.

In the poll I started in the 997 forum, most issues with PDK are electronic system management issues. No mechanical issues from what I can tell. However, there aren't any responses with >100K miles. So time will tell.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:58 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

The Macan's PDK is apparently a different unit than the 911's. Though you couldn't really tell by driving it as the Macan's to me feels every bit as good (and the 911's feels every bit as good) and nearly identical in character (tuned a little more for comfort, naturally, but surprisingly not much more so at all). I find the Macan's snappier and crisper than the Panamera's.

Not sure the intended life, but I'm sure you can downshift all you want and get well over 100K, unless you're unlucky. The unit on the Macan is really excellent and I'm sure accounts for some durability threshold even past performance driving, considering the small amount of off road or towing capability is has to at least market as a virtue.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 PM
freestreamt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Manual: Periodic clutch kit replacement. Every 15K-80K+ miles depending on driving style. Auto: No routine maintenance. The tranny breaks after certain mileage; under mild driving conditions it can last the intended life of the car. Once it breaks, it has to be disassembled and rebuilt. PDK: 2 types: dry & wet Dry: Every 15K-50K mile clutch replacement. More frequent if a lot of stop and go traffic vs. highway Wet: No routine maintenance. The clutch goes after certain mileage depending on use history; under mild driving conditions it can last the intended life of the car. This is what's being said anyway. In the poll I started in the 997 forum, most issues with PDK are electronic system management issues. No mechanical issues from what I can tell. However, there aren't any responses with >100K miles. So time will tell.
Hmm and which type of pdk would be in say the 911 vs cayenne vs ??

And that being said a wet pdk seems just as reliable as traditional autos just imo a lot better. And wet pdk vs manual is just preference. Maintenance wise really close.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freestreamt1
Hmm and which type of pdk would be in say the 911 vs cayenne vs ??

And that being said a wet pdk seems just as reliable as traditional autos just imo a lot better. And wet pdk vs manual is just preference. Maintenance wise really close.
The 911 has a wet PDK. Cayenne is still an automatic transmission. Tow capacity is better with auto & manual vs. PDK.

Manual is always cheaper to maintain in the long run. A clutch job on a manual is at most $1K. For PDK, not a lot of folks can service a PDK. The dealer just swaps the tranny for $10K.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macan's PDK is sourced from VW's gearbox plant in Kassel, Germany, at least that's the case for the Diesel. All other PDKs in Porsches come from ZF.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch