Macan 2014-Current

Radiator Mesh Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think a finer screen will impede air flow that much. Air molecules are so many orders of magnitude smaller than rocks, I doubt they're blocked that much by even a fine mesh.

I'm more interested in the availability of a finer screen for folks trying to duplicate this mod.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

It's not black but there's a fine mesh stainless steel gutter guard that's available which will allow copious amounts of rainwater through. It might offer more protection. Who wants to volunteer?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"The mesh covering the radiator" issue has been discussed rather extensively over on the 997 turbo forum with one member having concerns about air flow reduction and coolant temperature changes.
No conclusion was reached.
If one covers the radiators with a finer mesh, my suggestion would be to evaluate the coolant temp gauge for increase.
I understand the concerns regarding finer/smaller stones, etc., but, in my opinion, something is better than nothing. And, if a small stone makes it in the duct, hopefully it will, at least, get deflected by the screen mesh and avoid catastrophic damage. My 2c.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Porsche having designed the radiators being so exposed was entirely "track" minded. On the track, you want maximum airflow and the only debris on the road is rubber pellets from tire wear - basically, a non issue.

In the real world however, especially in the US where there is less regulation of trucks and safety, this is a problem. Also let's not forget the big tires on a big off road vehicle that can grab a 1" rock and then dislodge it at higher speed; I've lost a windshield to this. These off-roaders are extremely rare on European highways, so Porsche may not have thought about it.

So, in the daily driver use of these vehicles, one could say the cooling system is over-designed with the track in mind. So I don't think cooling will be impacted at all, especially, if one uses a high airflow type mesh.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the rain gutter stuff. But I saw an F430 the other day closely and the mesh they have used for their duct intakes is the same as the rain gutter stuff.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

I believe that, once the air enters the nacelle or cavity in the grille, although deflected by the mesh, it will find its way through the radiator behind it, therefore not affecting the rate of cooling. While some tracks are relatively clean, there are others not so. Keep in mind that some paddocks are gravel and hot tires pick that stuff up. They then go back out on track and lose it. I'm on my third windshield just from sand being kicked in my face (anyone old enough to remember the Charles Atlas ads? )
Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Look what I just picked up from Industrial Metal Supply. 79% open. Steel. 1/4" holes.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Lookin' good! Do they have a web-site or if not, a p/n to do a search?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Lookin' good! Do they have a web-site or if not, a p/n to do a search?
They only have locations in southern California and Arizona. But no part number. You can order it from their website I think if they ship.

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Locations

Mine is a 2'x3' piece and I paid $15 for it. I just need to spray it with a couple layers of black primer and it's good to go.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Please post finished pics when you can.
Thanks.
-Cam

Quick Reply: Radiator Mesh Mod