Macan 2014-Current

Radiator Issue Input Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Radiator Issue Input Needed

Seeking input, thoughts, solutions, etc. from the Rennlist community...
Here's the story:
2015 Turbo. 15,000 miles. Meticulously cared for (don't we all?).
Drove home Wednesday after work, nothing unusual, typical highway and town road driving.
Repeat, nothing unusual.
A short time later, same evening, noticed large coolant puddle on garage floor with warning lights on dash upon start-up. Flat-bedded vehicle to dealership. Analysis today revealed ~1" hole in radiator secondary to "outside influence", such as a rock or stone causing a gash in the radiator, and therefore not covered under warranty!
$1,800 out of pocket expense to replace radiator on a 9 month old vehicle.
I have been driving for 35 years and have never experienced anything like this, much less on a Porsche SUV of which I've owned 2 previous Cayennes.
I am livid. Do I have any recourse? Is this a design flaw? Do I simply have to pay for a new radiator and hope it doesn't happen again?
Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

This is why you have insurance on your car. Give your ins. company a call and see if they'll cover the damage. A rock or similar item kicked up by another vehicle is a "missile" and probably covered by your comprehensive insurance. Don't lie, tell them what you know, and see if they'll cover the damage.

Or, if you've been a good customer for a while you might ask Porsche for a goodwill repair. How likely this is to work depends on your relationship with your dealer, if you've been having them service your cars, buying them new, etc. No guarantees they will cover it to keep you happy though. I got PCNA to cover replacing the wiring harness on my 997 more than a year out of warranty, so it can happen.

And no, this isn't some design defect or a failure of the materials of your car so it shouldn't be covered by the new vehicle warranty. All cars have radiators, and there's always a small risk something can strike and damage them. Most strikes are small and just bend a few fins; bigger stuff can cause real damage. The risk is so small most people don't think about it because it rarely happens. If you're really worried, find someone to fabricate and install a mesh grill to go in front of your radiators and deal with the cosmetic changes to your car.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cviles
This is why you have insurance on your car. Give your ins. company a call and see if they'll cover the damage. A rock or similar item kicked up by another vehicle is a "missile" and probably covered by your comprehensive insurance. Don't lie, tell them what you know, and see if they'll cover the damage.

Or, if you've been a good customer for a while you might ask Porsche for a goodwill repair. How likely this is to work depends on your relationship with your dealer, if you've been having them service your cars, buying them new, etc. No guarantees they will cover it to keep you happy though. I got PCNA to cover replacing the wiring harness on my 997 more than a year out of warranty, so it can happen.

And no, this isn't some design defect or a failure of the materials of your car so it shouldn't be covered by the new vehicle warranty. All cars have radiators, and there's always a small risk something can strike and damage them. Most strikes are small and just bend a few fins; bigger stuff can cause real damage. The risk is so small most people don't think about it because it rarely happens. If you're really worried, find someone to fabricate and install a mesh grill to go in front of your radiators and deal with the cosmetic changes to your car.

Thank you very much for your insight.
1. I just spoke with my insurance agent and you're right. I can put in a claim as part of my comprehensive coverage. $1,000 deductible, but hey, better than the full nut.
2. Fortunately, I have an excellent relationship with my dealer -- purchased many vehicles, etc. As such, the service manager was sympathetic when he broke the news to me. He said he'd see what he could do and let me know on Monday. So, we'll see.
Headache not a heartache. Obviously rare; should have bought a lottery ticket Wednesday.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Thank you very much for your insight.
1. I just spoke with my insurance agent and you're right. I can put in a claim as part of my comprehensive coverage. $1,000 deductible, but hey, better than the full nut.
2. Fortunately, I have an excellent relationship with my dealer -- purchased many vehicles, etc. As such, the service manager was sympathetic when he broke the news to me. He said he'd see what he could do and let me know on Monday. So, we'll see.
Headache not a heartache. Obviously rare; should have bought a lottery ticket Wednesday.
Most likely, it's going to be covered under warranty! GL with the repair.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh why oh why didn't they just put a chicken wire there instead of the 2 plastic bars. This is my worry exactly!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had road trash puncture other radiators, let's face it, they are out in the open susceptible to damage. A mess could help but will change the overall cosmetic looks of the car. Hope the dealership does a goodwill for you.. Good luck and smile... You still drive a Porsche.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Thanks fellas.
Will know more Monday.
In the mean time I have to drive my 997tt cab, so life doesn't suck.https://rennlist.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old 05-18-2015, 12:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get a good aftermarket shop install a screen, similar to what is used on the GT3 front bumper to protect it. It's something PAG should have done at the factory...

Not sure where you live? But if you're in the NY area let me know and I can send you some names to reach out to.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should consider changing your comprehensive coverage to a $100 deductible. It will come in handy when your windshield gets pitted.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="lawjdc;12292280"]You should consider changing your comprehensive coverage to a $100 deductible. It will come in handy when your windshield gets pitted. And it will only cost a few dollars more per year.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
You should consider changing your comprehensive coverage to a $100 deductible. It will come in handy when your windshield gets pitted.
Policies differ, of course, but glass coverage isn't the same as comprehensive in my experience. I have USAA here in Texas and rock chip fills are free and my last windshield replacement (a couple months ago in my '15 Macan) was $200. I also have a $1k comprehensive deductible and it saves enough in premiums to cover the occasional ding.

Crap happens. Deal with the small stuff and let insurance cover your butt when real disasters strike.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Update:
10% goodwill only.
Therefore, filed insurance claim. Considered collision not comprehensive. Will pay $1k deductible for an $1,800 radiator. Hope my rates don't sky rocket. I hate insurance companies...
Great idea re: mesh. Want to prevent this from happening again.
Ideas?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Well, at least you're getting a little relief. I know it sucks to have an expensive repair on a new car.

As to the mesh idea, I don't know where you live so all I can suggest is find a race or performance shop that specializes in Porsches. They've probably already done the mesh on a bunch of GT3s and other cars that see regular track time and will be used to fabricating stuff.

Quick Reply: Radiator Issue Input Needed