Why I "settled" for a Macan

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts
Lightbulb Why I "settled" for a Macan

There's another thread here about a member giving up his Macan. That's OK; his car -- his choice.

But there's a reason I traded my 911 and my Boxster (with PSS9's, tower braces, camber plates, etc. It was my track car.) for a Macan.

I hadn't seen my brother in six years. He lives in California and I live in Texas. My life changed immensely in those years and circumstances kept us apart, so I could only share my life with him over the phone. I went back to school, changed my career and my circle of friends. I became a new person, and words over the phone don't really cover that.

I was already pretty much sold on the Macan, but the clencher was this: He didn't have much luggage but it still wouldn't fit in either of my cars. Soft sided, but with rigid corners just didn't work with the luggage space available. A few precious moments with my brother matter more to me than bragging rights about some track stats, so I went looking for some compromises.

I love driving. You can look at my .sig for a clue to that. Cars aren't just transportation, they are also entertainment. My Macan checks so many boxes I don't regret a single dollar I've spent on it. All the things that don't show up in a magazine review make me happy every day. Surprising the hell out of a guy in a Viper a few weeks back is just the icing on the cake.

So if this car doesn't work for you, that's fine, we're all cool. If you can't understand this car just like Chris Harris, that's ok also -- the US market doesn't get estate cars, so niche buyers (like Porsche customers) make do.

After all, it's about the people.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally agree. To each his own. My brother in law had test driven the Macan and the Pani and talked so much crap about both cars, and the whole time I kept thinking about that Jack Nicholson line....(see below)

Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the story.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

if you just want one car to do it all, a Macan turbo is close to perfect. Happy Motoring.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

the macan is a great little practical porsche...
Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Well said. The package and various attributes that the Macan can deliver on, especially enhanced by how you choose to spec it to push the meter in whichever of the many directions it can do so outstandingly, is a revolution within the car market. I.e, I've always seeked all that it can do, but it's hard to find it all packed so neatly. The meter would usually be pushed too far in one extreme direction, leaving too much to be desired in another. IMO; this is the closest to having your cake and eating it too, if you desire various and complex, almost impossible to satisfy ingredients of which usually don't coincide with one another.

It also shows a passion within the car when we can all option it so personably, and so different from one another that two models can cater to entirely different desires.... yet still uphold the inherent capabilities engrained within.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,173 Likes on 5,291 Posts

No one settles for a Porsche.

You chose a Macan.

Well done. Enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Why I "settled" for a Macan