Macan 2014-Current

AS/PASM or PTV plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 AM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
There isn't a better performance option on this car than AS, based on my testing out all of them thus resulting viewpoint. I don't need a driving instructor to want the best suspension capability and flattest cornering available on my car. My Macan needs to do lots of things at once for me, that's the "performance" I seek. And the AS is paramount to that. Not to mention that sweet stance on Pyramids car.
I actually agree with you on the looks with it being a bit lower but I may say the PTV may have been as good of a performance option. If you are going to say that AS is the best, please back that up with fact. I may even go out and say the 3.6 liter may be a better performance option followed by bigger brakes. A good driving instructor will help you be able to get the maximum out of the build you spent your money on. just becouse you installed the parts does not mean you will be able to get the proper performance out of it. A plus, you seemed to like your dealer track day, I believe you would love a couple of PCA track days.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Powereng
I actually agree with you on the looks with it being a bit lower but I may say the PTV may have been as good of a performance option. If you are going to say that AS is the best, please back that up with fact. I may even go out and say the 3.6 liter may be a better performance option followed by bigger brakes. A good driving instructor will help you be able to get the maximum out of the build you spent your money on. just becouse you installed the parts does not mean you will be able to get the proper performance out of it. A plus, you seemed to like your dealer track day, I believe you would love a couple of PCA track days.
I actually agree there. I'm just saying that for what *I* seek, AS had the most notable performance benefits. PTV+ is great and I notice a definite improvement with that as well. But for my chosen budget and all its virtues (including said looks) I felt AS as the best choice.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

The Air Suspension for me is the must tick option on the car (as well as 3 zone climate) as it allows you to lower the car improving handling, braking and fuel economy. The car sits .6 of an inch lower than the steel car normally and then 1 inch lower with the low level engaged. The off road setting gives you better ground clearance with a ride height of 1 inch higher than the steel springs, the lower sportier setting gives you the best handling version of the car and the standard setting rides much nicer than the standard springs.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 AM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdkrp
I am close to getting nailing down my build and would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I am getting an S and will not be doing any off-roading.

Trying to keep things reasonable, I am debating if one or both of these options are worth it. My main goal would be to maintain the driving experience that I have come to love with my 911S (which will soon be turned in at lease end).

By the way my 911 has neither the PASM nor PTV.
Thanks for any insight.
PASM for sure. PTV+ if you know and care about rotation. AS - I never understand why there is a need to buy a CUV and then lower it. It's a lux feature. Macan is probably the sportiest in its class but it'll never be close to a 911. The engine is in the front, if you know what I mean. Never.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 AM
K-A
Drifting

I need an "SUV" (in quotes because I don't consider the Macan a full fledged SUV) because the cabin space itself has a vertical dimension I require. Not to mention the ONLY "SUV" I'd buy is a Macan, as it really is the "SUV for guys who hate SUV's" as a magazine article said. But I don't find many redeeming qualities of a high riding car otherwise. So getting it as low as possible without messing with suspension geometry (i.e AS on the Macan) is the closest I can get to having my cake and eating it too. Plus, it's probably the best AS system I've experienced yet (thanks in part to PASM being mated to it and how they interact with each other), in maximizing sporty performance and comfort at the same time, and of course there's always the off road benefits if you ever need that.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:32 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is really no need to add AS. If you plan to keep the car for a certain amount of time, beyond warranty, AS will be a pain in the *** to fix.

PASM and PTV is more than adequate. Save the money for something else. Getting better tires already over come the AS performance factor.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:42 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kinesis 996
There is really no need to add AS. If you plan to keep the car for a certain amount of time, beyond warranty, AS will be a pain in the *** to fix. PASM and PTV is more than adequate. Save the money for something else. Getting better tires already over come the AS performance factor.
Having AS and driving all variations, I disagree. AS makes a measurable handling difference and body roll control, much more ride sophistication, better looks (worth the premium alone over PASM imo considering all the other benefits) and more adjustability. Porsche's aren't ideal cars to own out of warranty anyways so I figure it's still worth it being I'd get an extended warranty.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
I am close to getting nailing down my build and would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I am getting an S and will not be doing any off-roading.

Trying to keep things reasonable, I am debating if one or both of these options are worth it. My main goal would be to maintain the driving experience that I have come to love with my 911S (which will soon be turned in at lease end).

By the way my 911 has neither the PASM nor PTV.
Thanks for any insight.
I consider the Air Suspension to be a "must have" option for nearly all buyers at the $2800 price Porsche has it currently at. The range of comfort and sportiness adjustability is DRASTICALLY higher than the standard PASM alone. Basically here are the highlights:

1. While 'normal' driving will feel very similar with all 3 suspensions, the REALLY bad roads and bumps are significantly softer with the air suspension.

2. When in 'sport plus' mode, not only are the shock absorbers stiffer, but the car is lowered giving it a lower center of gravity, but most importantly: the actual alignment and suspension geometry changes. Ask any track guy on here how much a difference the amount of negative camber makes on a cars handling- It is a *drastic* difference in performance, and feels like a completely different car. If you plan to do any "spirited" driving at all, the $2800 is worth it.

Lasty, I do NOT believe PTV to be worth it, unless you are either an a. VERY advanced driver that plans to push the vehicle to its handling limits, or b. Willing to pay a premium for the latest and greatest technology, even though it may not make a noticeable difference in day to day driving. If you are not getting the air suspension, PTV is almost completely useless, unless you plan to disable the stability control and go hooning**

** Hooning v. See video:
Old 03-01-2015, 08:51 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
The Air Suspension for me is the must tick option on the car (as well as 3 zone climate) as it allows you to lower the car improving handling, braking and fuel economy. The car sits .6 of an inch lower than the steel car normally and then 1 inch lower with the low level engaged. The off road setting gives you better ground clearance with a ride height of 1 inch higher than the steel springs, the lower sportier setting gives you the best handling version of the car and the standard setting rides much nicer than the standard springs.
Totally agree, but why do you consider the 3-zone a 'must have'?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Totally agree, but why do you consider the 3-zone a 'must have'?
The third zone is what provides A/C to the rear passengers. In very warm climates, it is a must have, and frankly, I cannot believe Porsche did not make it standard.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

I'm glad it's not standard. Don't need it and would rather it not be built into MSRP. I love the enthusiast centric a'la carte optioning strategy. I wish Rear Seat Heaters weren't included in premium package either, as it's just "dead weight". Only thing it's done so far is impress my future mother in law and allowed for one time use. I doubt it'll get much more mileage than that as I rarely if ever have rear seat passengers.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

All- thanks for the replys. As usual, lots of good stuff to think about/consider.

In the end I just went with the PASM without the AS or PTV.
We'll see how that works out; car scheduled to be here in early May and I have to say am kind of excited about it although it will be sad to say goodbye to my sweet 991 S Cab. Hands down the best car I have ever owned/driven.

I am consoling myself with the prospect of looking for the perfect '88-89 Carrera to fill the 911 void.

Quick Reply: AS/PASM or PTV plus