Macan 2014-Current

Any risk of engine scoring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Overall, porsche engines are more prone to cylinder scoring because the owners think just because it has a porsche badge on it has to be driven aggressively all the time. So they go petal to metal 5 seconds after they started her up from a long night's rest. Cylinder scoring you ask! Of course says I!

Does it matter where you live? Yes, because there is an inverse proportional relationship between temperature and oil viscosity within a particular range. Outside of that range it pretty much plateaus.

So in my case, I'm not the least worried because I know how I treat my cars. My wife drives less aggressive than me so we're going to be ok.
Interesting. I have always ran my cars as close to red line as conditions would allow. But I always wait until my oil is at least to 150 F.
Back when I bought my first Corvette in 1963 I drilled the oil plug and put a thermal couple in it and so had a oil temp meter up under the dash. Had my 996 for 13 years without a problem. I have noticed that my new 2015 Cayenne S will reach oil temp in 3 to 4 miles even when the temp is -3 like it was this morning.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Interesting. I have always ran my cars as close to red line as conditions would allow. But I always wait until my oil is at least to 150 F.
Back when I bought my first Corvette in 1963 I drilled the oil plug and put a thermal couple in it and so had a oil temp meter up under the dash. Had my 996 for 13 years without a problem. I have noticed that my new 2015 Cayenne S will reach oil temp in 3 to 4 miles even when the temp is -3 like it was this morning.
But you do wait for it to warm up a little bit. Again, it's all driver dependent and I honestly think it's driver/owner error and not an engine problem. You respect simple physics and chemistry and that pretty much takes care of the potential for things to go wrong.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

I don't believe there is a problem unless u abuse the engine while still cold. If u have had much in the way of physics/chemistry/fluid dynamics, u b able 2 understand that oil flow rate at a given oil pressure (a function of rpm in these engines) is a function of oil temp and its viscosity curve. In other words, wait till ur oil is hot b4 u push ur engine hard. It's just that simple...
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I don't believe there is a problem unless u abuse the engine while still cold. If u have had much in the way of physics/chemistry/fluid dynamics, u b able 2 understand that oil flow rate at a given oil pressure (a function of rpm in these engines) is a function of oil temp and its viscosity curve. In other words, wait till ur oil is hot b4 u push ur engine hard. It's just that simple...
+1 Thank you!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just in reading through the threads it was surmised a problem with the pre-2008 V8 which had the nikasil cylinders and that was an occurrence predominantly in the colder climates.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I should update my profile to indicate that I live in Minnesota.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Just in reading through the threads it was surmised a problem with the pre-2008 V8 which had the nikasil cylinders and that was an occurrence predominantly in the colder climates.
From my understanding Flat6 was looking at a 2012 Cayenne S that also had symptoms of "scored cylinders" not to long ago. I never heard the outcome of what came of it but it does make one wonder. The 2012's are still pretty new but this doesn't inspire confidence that problem has been resolved. Time will tell if the newer ones are affected as well...
Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

[QUOTE
=Dan87951;12049670]From my understanding Flat6 was looking at a 2012 Cayenne S that also had symptoms of "scored cylinders" not to long ago. I never heard the outcome of what came of it but it does make one wonder. The 2012's are still pretty new but this doesn't inspire confidence that problem has been resolved. Time will tell if the newer ones are affected as well...[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that Porsche ever used nikasil in their cylinders. The blocks were cast using Alusil low pressure casting. The silicon content is through out the block and the cylinders are not hard nickle plated. This is the material that Porsche used for years in their blocks. In 1998 they went to Locasil which was a high pressure casting process that proved to be inferior on the 996 and 986 engines until 2009 when they went back to Alusil.
I believe all Cayenne V8 engines have used Alusil. KS Aluminium-Technologie
produces these blocks for Porsche and delivers them honed and ready for assembly. The scoring problem had to be something other than the material used.
See: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...-v6-v8-kspg-ag

Last edited by SteveFromMN; 02-18-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add link
Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Buckfever
Racer

[QUOTE
=Dan87951;12049670]From my understanding Flat6 was looking at a 2012 Cayenne S that also had symptoms of "scored cylinders" not to long ago. I never heard the outcome of what came of it but it does make one wonder. The 2012's are still pretty new but this doesn't inspire confidence that problem has been resolved. Time will tell if the newer ones are affected as well...
I don't believe that Porsche ever used nikasil in their cylinders. The blocks were cast using Alusil low pressure casting. The silicon content is through out the block and the cylinders are not hard nickle plated. This is the material that Porsche used for years in their blocks. In 1998 they went to Locasil which was a high pressure casting process that proved to be inferior on the 996 and 986 engines until 2009 when they went back to Alusil.
I believe all Cayenne V8 engines have used Alusil. KS Aluminium-Technologie
produces these blocks for Porsche and delivers them honed and ready for assembly. The scoring problem had to be something other than the material used.
See: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...-v6-v8-kspg-ag[/QUOTE]

Actually I think I got it backwards on the Cayenne the ones with the nikasil cylinders didn't have the scoring.

Here Flat6 talks about it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cylinders.html
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Originally Posted by ][/QUOTE] Actually I think I got it backwards on the Cayenne the ones with the nikasil cylinders didn't have the scoring. Here Flat6 talks about it: [URL="https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/799450-scored-cylinders.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/799450-scored-cylinders.html[/URL]
I believe that was referring to replacement cylinder Flat 6 uses to repair locasil blocks. As I said in a previous post those open deck locasil blocks were a bad design that Porsche abandoned in 2009.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Actually I think I got it backwards on the Cayenne the ones with the nikasil cylinders didn't have the scoring. Here Flat6 talks about it: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cylinders.html
I believe that was referring to replacement cylinder Flat 6 uses to repair locasil blocks. As I said in a previous post those open deck locasil blocks were a bad design that Porsche abandoned in 2009.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, I have to admit I do find the overall discussions confusing. My overall impression is that Porsche has had a decent history with engine durability. I think the concern is that occasionally there has been a low incidence of design issues and this is an area of very high cost xwarranty.

I do view the Macan as different in terms of the numbers they're looking to produce. I know they took a step in that direction with the Cayenne but here they're looking at a much bigger "n" overall and I'm inclined to think that strategically they were going to consider durability in the offerings, because a lot of brand equity is at stake.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Thanks for the clarification, I have to admit I do find the overall discussions confusing. My overall impression is that Porsche has had a decent history with engine durability. I think the concern is that occasionally there has been a low incidence of design issues and this is an area of very high cost xwarranty. I do view the Macan as different in terms of the numbers they're looking to produce. I know they took a step in that direction with the Cayenne but here they're looking at a much bigger "n" overall and I'm inclined to think that strategically they were going to consider durability in the offerings, because a lot of brand equity is at stake.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree. They had these design problems when they were strapped for cash and probably did not do enough testing. In the last 8 years or so they have been extremely profitable. I think they have been able to not only put more money towards the design but more importantly testing of the designs. They have a lot riding on making cars that not only perform above the competition but are as reliable as a Toyota!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarification, I have to admit I do find the overall discussions confusing. My overall impression is that Porsche has had a decent history with engine durability. I think the concern is that occasionally there has been a low incidence of design issues and this is an area of very high cost xwarranty. I do view the Macan as different in terms of the numbers they're looking to produce. I know they took a step in that direction with the Cayenne but here they're looking at a much bigger "n" overall and I'm inclined to think that strategically they were going to consider durability in the offerings, because a lot of brand equity is at stake.
Yes I agree. They had these design problems when they were strapped for cash and probably did not do enough testing. In the last 8 years or so they have been extremely profitable. I think they have been able to not only put more money towards the design but more importantly testing of the designs. They have a lot riding on making cars that not only perform above the competition but are as reliable as a Toyota![/QUOTE]

Six Porsches so far, and all have been dead-flat reliable. No issues whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Tazcat
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Cayenne S engine issue at 85k miles

I see many people mentioning the piston scoring issues occurred in the early Cayenne's but I have an 08 that I believe has suffered the same fate. I kept fouling out a plug on cyl #5 and of course it misfired...sometimes other cyl's too but #5 was always the worst. I thought maybe it just needed the oil separators replaced....that would have been an easy fix but of course no luck. Then had a compression test done and cyl 5 only had 100 lbs. I'm devastated.....its been sitting in my garage for 6 mos because I'm not sure what to do and am cringing at the thought of spending almost 10k on having a used engine installed....but I have no choice it seems....trying to find someone reputable to deal with, this is my biggest nightmare....there is nobody nearby ( I live in Buffalo) and I will have to have this thing flatbedded somewhere, not cool. The vehicle is in pristine shape and a blast to drive, not a speck of rust, perfect tranny, etc....thats the only reason I'm even considering having it fixed. I drove it last winter, soon after all of this started happening. Made the mistake of taking it to the local Porsche dealer when it all started, they basically soaked me for 1k and it did NOTHING to help me.....they did some diagnostics, changed the plugs, replaced 2 coils that most likely didnt need replacing.....2 weeks later the plug fouled again and I was back at square one with a misfire. Ive taken the plug out numerous times to clean it off and cleared computer so I could drive it but have pretty much given up, it can drive for around 20 or so miles until plug fouls again and engine misfire occurs. Time to play the lottery...lol

Last edited by Tazcat; 03-10-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear but you might want to put this in the Cayenne forum, I know they have a couple threads on this issue there.

Quick Reply: Any risk of engine scoring?