Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan turbo brakes and order wait time.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM
circlet
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan turbo brakes and order wait time.

I did find that the Turbo brakes are 360mm / 356mm vs the S brakes at 350mm / 330mm.

In the process of ordering a Macan S and want to get the Turbo brakes added as they are slightly larger. I was told there was no option for that. I figured I could still have this done on a special order but the dealer says this is not the case. I do not have a need for the PCCB system for the price. I got pricing on the turbo brake parts and it is not too bad.

Shouldn't I be able to special order this? First special order experience.

About the wait time for the special order Macan, I was told if I ordered right now I might see the thing in 10 months plus or minus a month depending on how things go on the production line. I did not expect anything longer than 6 months. Is this really the case now?

Last edited by circlet; 09-27-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Found brake size info.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM
j080808
Advanced

Only brake option is PCCB's.

Japan certainly has a long lease time!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:02 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by circlet
I did find that the Turbo brakes are 360mm / 356mm vs the S brakes at 350mm / 330mm.

In the process of ordering a Macan S and want to get the Turbo brakes added as they are slightly larger. I was told there was no option for that. I figured I could still have this done on a special order but the dealer says this is not the case. I do not have a need for the PCCB system for the price. I got pricing on the turbo brake parts and it is not too bad.

Shouldn't I be able to special order this? First special order experience.
Actually, no. They are not going to make customer requested performance modifications (engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes) to production cars. The Porsche Exclusive program sometimes offers special performance upgrades that are not part of the "standard" options list but these are preplanned/engineered packages, not just a swap out of brakes, suspension components, etc. at a customers request. I am sure that when the Macan GTS comes out in 12 months or so it will have the Turbo brakes! The Exclusive department does offer almost unlimited cosmetic / interior customization but at a very steep cost.

About the wait time for the special order Macan, I was told if I ordered right now I might see the thing in 10 months plus or minus a month depending on how things go on the production line. I did not expect anything longer than 6 months. Is this really the case now?
Lead time in USA for special order cars is 3 to 5 months depending on the dealer allocation. I was offered a late December delivery this week by two different dealers and was told February/March by another dealer.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:26 PM
circlet
7th Gear

Thanks for the info on special orders. I guess I will have to seriously consider the cost of the PCCB if I want an upgrade. Not too keen on swapping parts that will void the warranty. Especially when they are not that much bigger.

I am just not seeing why the lead time is 5 to 8 months longer than the USA. But that may just be how it is.

If I order one now would Porsche roll my order over to a GTS if they are announce while I am waiting and I want a GTS instead?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Your dealer is probably also concerned that there may be more involved than just rotors and calipers (e.g. master cylinder may be different, ABS controller programmed differently, etc.). Just too many variables to try to accommodate a one-off customer request. It may be fine with just a rotor and caliper swap, but who wants the liability if it isn't?

Your lead time is probably due to the number of allocations PAG makes to Porsche Japan KK each year. For the first year, they're guestimating how many will sell and where so supply is tight. 5 to 8 months is still not bad; in some countries the wait is over a year and that's just for a Macan S.

As to rolling your order over to a GTS when it comes out, that's up to your dealership to decide. I don't see why they shouldn't let you change your mind until the order locks and probably until the car arrives unless you've spec'd out something bizarre. Still, depends on how well your dealership likes you.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 PM
circlet
7th Gear

Nothing bizarre in the spec. The special order is not finalized. Just working through the order options with the dealer.

Currently I have a Cayenne Turbo and that is a little bulky to drive in some places in the city. As well I rarely ever use the power in the Cayenne Turbo except getting on the highway when it is not so crowded, which is for a few seconds at a time. The highway speed limits are between 40-50mph. No space to use it for me. It is a waste of a great machine. The average speed on the dash hangs out around 15mph all the time. The SUV is for family use and I do not do much speeding and dodging through traffic with the family in the car. It is a social status symbol here to have a Turbo, but I could care less about that.

This has led me to consider the Macan 2.0t since it is available here.

A 4 cyl Macan with PCCBs seems like a mismatch to me.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

From what you describe, it sounds as if the performance benefits of the PCCBs isn't much of an issue for you. Less unsprung mass is nice, but the consistent stopping power doesn't come into play with speeds you're restricted to. They do dust less (almost none?) than iron brakes, but $8000 worth less?. That's the US price; I've no idea what the price is on a Japanese build. For that kind of money, you could just paint the calipers and no one would know unless they got up close...

Last point, the Macan is smaller than the Cayenne but not by a huge amount. It's only about 2.5" narrower than a Cayenne with the mirrors out. Is one inch per side enough to make a difference for you?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

you will never notice the difference between S and turbo brakes...

if u MUST have larger rotors for looks, get pccb's.. only 10k.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:21 AM
circlet
7th Gear

The inch per side is a big difference actually. Parking spaces are less than generous in size. The Cayenne is also a few years old and we could use something new.

I am very familiar with how the PCCBs run and wear. I am not needing bigger rotors or colored calipers for looks. The turbo brakes are only .5" larger in the front than the S and that is not much. I want to stay away from the PCCBs because I will surely take the family out camping or through the muck and snow from time to time. I do not need the rotors damaged from debris. Not so much about the money to replace but being far from home and having a broken rotor sucks.

I have swapped larger brakes onto a number of Porsches with out any issue even for track use. It seems like the 2.0t comes with even smaller brakes.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
gronkman
3rd Gear

Since the Macan S brakes should be fine for almost all daily use, are you only looking for the red caliper look? If so, you can probably get them painted red with a heat-resistant decal much cheaper than PCCB. In fact, this is a popular mod done by others and doesn't void the warranty.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The inch per side is a big difference actually. Parking spaces are less than generous in size. The Cayenne is also a few years old and we could use something new.

I am very familiar with how the PCCBs run and wear. I am not needing bigger rotors or colored calipers for looks. The turbo brakes are only .5" larger in the front than the S and that is not much. I want to stay away from the PCCBs because I will surely take the family out camping or through the muck and snow from time to time. I do not need the rotors damaged from debris. Not so much about the money to replace but being far from home and having a broken rotor sucks.

I have swapped larger brakes onto a number of Porsches with out any issue even for track use. It seems like the 2.0t comes with even smaller brakes.
gotta pay to play, the brakes on any/all porsche models are more than overkill.. the calipers are the same regardless of model... % wise.. the larger rotor.. you'll never notice a difference unless you race professionally from grocery store to home..

i would venture as far to say braking wise.. not even a professional racer would be able to tell the difference between the models when it comes to brakes... the tires are the weak point in braking and cause the abs to kick in far before you would tell any difference.

Quick Reply: Macan turbo brakes and order wait time.