Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Who's ordered their Macan without Infotainment. If so, is resale a concern.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Who's ordered their Macan without Infotainment. If so, is resale a concern.

I have my Macan build all perfectly tailored. SD Package, RS Spyders, AS/PASM, Premium, etc. One way to stay within budget is by not selecting Infotainment since it's such a ripoff at that price, considering all you get over the standard CDR+ unit is Nav (Smartphone Nav's work a lot better and IMO, especially in 3+ years, in-car Nav's should be all but obsolete if not further redundant.... remember that 4 years ago, Smartphone in-car Nav use was barely even in existence), Hard Drive (could easily and even more conveniently use a memory stick, Sirius (don't need it), Aha app (don't care for it), and HD Radio (which I'd select a'la carte).

Screen resolution is the same, and from what I understand, all the functions are the same (?) though some have said that PCM allows for some more customizing via MFD display (unconfirmed).

Either way, I could get by fine without it, considering all the above is true. However, the setback I'm having with my build is, in the event of resale, will that $2,600 savings (because I'd get HD Radio a'la carte) come right out of the car again (take or give), making it so I saved nothing from not selecting it in the long run, and didn't even get the benefit of using in-car Nav/PCM whenever I would have wanted to.

Interested to see if anyone on this Forum has had a similar conflict with this option.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who has time to program a destination into an in-car nav when you just have to talk to your phone to get a likely better result? I bet my wife won't use it 26 times, which will make it over $100 per use. Don't need a hard drive either...can store plenty of music on my phone or a $70 iPod. These are things I won't pay a penny for if I buy a used car. I've tried satellite radio before but never seem to stick with it.

If you'll use these features, get them and enjoy them. If not, pass. Don't build your car for the next owner. That's my opinion, fwiw. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Who has time to program a destination into an in-car nav when you just have to talk to your phone to get a likely better result? I bet my wife won't use it 26 times, which will make it over $100 per use. Don't need a hard drive either...can store plenty of music on my phone or a $70 iPod. These are things I won't pay a penny for if I buy a used car. I've tried satellite radio before but never seem to stick with it.

If you'll use these features, get them and enjoy them. If not, pass. Don't build your car for the next owner. That's my opinion, fwiw. Good luck!
Great advice and thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Waze exclusively. The Macan is my wife's car. She does not like using her phone for Nav, no matter how much I tell her it is better. Ordered Infotainment. She is happy. When she is happy, works out good for me, which is what is important :-)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

infotainment was not needed for my order.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 PM
TGED
Instructor

You can a better sound system when you get the Navi, higher amplifier output with more speakers, try do a comparison before making a decision.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 PM
TGED
Instructor

I believe this applies on the Macan too.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Actually, the Base sound systems are identical on the Macan without Infotainment and with PCM (the Base uses CDR+ which I understand is identical to PCM in every way, save for Nav and hard drive).

One concern I had to functionality of CDR+ (Base) vs PCM, and from what I hear, they're indeed identical in how they look and work, just sans the Nav aspect.

Thanks for the replies. I was set on skipping it. It's really the biggest cash jerker from Porsche on this car IMO, but I can understand why some would want it. I mean, on a $64K (or whatever you spend) car, you'd like the option to at least have it. However, at $2,500+, it's just not worth it for something that adds so little, IF you can get by without it. I actually think using the Smartphone, although a little less "luxurious" (though as said above, it's true, what's so luxurious about entering an address on your laggy infotainment screen) is a superior experience, especially if you have in in a safely accessible way.

However, some people get in my head in regards to "without Nav, people will run away from the car during resell, nobody will want to buy it and those who do will offer you so much less that you could've gotten PCM and gotten at least all of that back later". Then there are those who've told me that Macan's without Nav currently have no problem selling for MSRP, instantly. And I think that in 3+ years, people will care fairly little for in car Nav, and more importantly, they'd want the high res screen, backup camera and functionality of the premium infotainment (which again, the base CDR+ provides in totality, save for Nav and hard drive).
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

For a car like the Macan, i.e. non-sportscar, I'm a big fan of in car nav, keyless entry, voice control etc.

Being able to leave keys/phone etc in briefcases/gym bag/hand bag and not have to waste time is very valuable.

I got it for my wife's and would never buy her a car without it. Her having to deal with the kids etc and everything, its just once less hassle.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Infotainment also includes satellite radio and Porsche connect.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheBen
Infotainment also includes satellite radio and Porsche connect.
Sat radio I don't need. I'll happily take it for free, but personally don't need to pay for it.

What's Porsche connect? Is it the apps? CDR Plus seems to have the same Bluetooth, mp3 and streaming capabilities, etc.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried finding my local dive shop when I moved here 2 months ago, Google Maps kept telling me it was just across the street from the hotel I had used. It wasn't, it was about 3 mi. down the road (address was correct, location wrong). Nav in the Cayenne took me to the correct location.

No idea how often that happens w/ Google Maps and I'm not complaining about ordering the Infotainment Pkg. I'll use (at least some of) the 40G HD.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking at ordering a Macan - but I cannot stomach the $3K PCM price. So if I do NOT order that, what do I get? Do I still get a screen that lets me play audio from my iPod? CD player? I'm a little confused because the Porsche configurator isn't very clear.

I do not need navigation, but I would still like to be able to play CDs and audio through my iPod. I think I've used navigation in my 991 a total of two times. It's always Waze on my iPhone for me...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Looking at ordering a Macan - but I cannot stomach the $3K PCM price. So if I do NOT order that, what do I get? Do I still get a screen that lets me play audio from my iPod? CD player? I'm a little confused because the Porsche configurator isn't very clear.

I do not need navigation, but I would still like to be able to play CDs and audio through my iPod. I think I've used navigation in my 991 a total of two times. It's always Waze on my iPhone for me...
Yes Porsche makes this confusing on purpose. You get EVERYTHING except for nav and the hard drive. You get BT and BT streaming, high res screen, iPod connectivity, USB port/s, all the functions, same audio, etc. This is why PCM is such a ripoff. CDR Plus is a bargain when you know what you get. The other stuff from Infotainment I wouldn't pay for either, save for HD Radio which I'd just get on its own.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yes Porsche makes this confusing on purpose. You get EVERYTHING except for nav and the hard drive. You get BT and BT streaming, high res screen, iPod connectivity, USB port/s, all the functions, same audio, etc. This is why PCM is such a ripoff. CDR Plus is a bargain when you know what you get. The other stuff from Infotainment I wouldn't pay for either, save for HD Radio which I'd just get on its own.
Thank you for the clarification! I will not be ordering the PCM option.

Quick Reply: Who's ordered their Macan without Infotainment. If so, is resale a concern.