Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Thinking about a Macan S for a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
If all you're worried about is soft-roading, why waste the money on a Porsche in the first place? You could buy 3 or 4 RAV4s in assorted colors for the price of a loaded up Macan. Or one of those Lexus hybrid thingies.
I actually was in the market for a city commuter that was small and had all-wheel drive to share with wifey.
RAV4 and Tiguan were on the radar but they were fairly lame.... Nothing small out there was really exciting. All lame but practical.

When Porsche announced this little ute I figured it would be a great way to at least have some fun and enjoy my time when in a small ute while still being "practical".

Price is steep at 2x the price of fully loaded Tiguan, but when on the road im sure it will reveal why the price of entry is what it is. That is important to me as a 911 guy.

Life is too short to be too practical
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
. i feel the macan was created for those wanting to own a 60k sports car and a 60k SUV but only having 60k total... it's a good mixture of the two.. not one.. not the other.. but a mix...
That would be me.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Every vehicle is a compromise. The Macan just seems to really hit the sweet spot with me. More practical than my 911 or my Boxster but still hooligan fun when I want. Plus, the interior is just a nice place to be.

But as they say: Jack of all trades; master of none. If I needed a serious off-roader or a tow vehicle, it wouldn't be my choice. If I wanted a track toy, it would also not be my choice. But I'm very happy that Porsche has a nice range of options to skew the car in the direction I want it to go.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Buckfever
Racer

I found this:

"ABD
The Automatic Braking Differential (ABD) system was co-developed by Bosch and Porsche in order to counteract unnecessary wheel spin by one of the driving wheels. In essence, ABD is an electronic locking differential that uses the brakes and inputs from the Anti-lock Braking System sensors to simulate "the lock" of one of the wheels in case of hard acceleration or during a high-speed maneuver.

On most car models, the ABD does not substitute for a real locking differential, but is a supplementary system which provides better directional stability and more traction on less-than-ideal road surfaces by applying braking power to any slipping wheel during acceleration."

So the ABD is only applying braking during acceleration, this is more of a traction control rather than vectoring. My feeling is that given the weight of the Macan, I want the help the LSD would provide in slippery conditions. I tend to agree with the thoughts about the PTV+ as far as sports car usage. I can't envision my daily usage benefiting from it. Except with the designated winters, I want the LSD.

Anyways I have to check it now, for as cviles put it, you know to correct the rounding error.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm buying the Macan because I want it, not because I have to have it for a particular capability. The Tacoma is for Home Depot and beater duty (and it's a great little truck) and the 993 for a little more "raw" fun (yes, I know it's refined compared to earlier 911's). If I had more garage space I'd probably add a Jag to the stable just for something different. Neighbors enjoy ribbing me about having 3 vehicles just for me, I just ask them if they have any spare garage space for me to add something else to the stable.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 297 Posts

well that thought it dead. No cars on lots and no allocations. Looks like it's going to be well over 6 months until some Macan's become available. I need something right away. I guess I will be buying an E350 wagon. Kinda bummed, I thought the Macan would have been a good daily driver for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by Ceepe
well that thought it dead. No cars on lots and no allocations. Looks like it's going to be well over 6 months until some Macan's become available. I need something right away. I guess I will be buying an E350 wagon. Kinda bummed, I thought the Macan would have been a good daily driver for me.
That's too bad up here there's lots of them. I don't think they're moving here as well as elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckfever
That's too bad up here there's lots of them. I don't think they're moving here as well as elsewhere.
There's lots here and I see one at least twice a week. The allocation the P dealer near us gets is likely one of the biggest in the US. We are spoiled here.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this:

. I tend to agree with the thoughts about the PTV+ as far as sports car usage. I can't envision my daily usage benefiting from it. Except with the designated winters, I want the LSD.

Anyways I have to check it now, for as cviles put it, you know to correct the rounding error.
I have just ordered a new Cayenne S. I drove a Cayenne with PTV and one without. I noticed that even on slow speed sharp turns I could feel the effect of the PTV. It made the car seem to have an even tighter turning radius. I did not measure the TR but that was my impression. It made the car feel much more nimble on these kind of turns. Needless to say I had to have it so I ordered it. I also ordered PDCC which I don't think is available on the Macan. It made an even more dramatic effect on body roll on higher speed turns.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I have just ordered a new Cayenne S. I drove a Cayenne with PTV and one without. I noticed that even on slow speed sharp turns I could feel the effect of the PTV. It made the car seem to have an even tighter turning radius. I did not measure the TR but that was my impression. It made the car feel much more nimble on these kind of turns. Needless to say I had to have it so I ordered it. I also ordered PDCC which I don't think is available on the Macan. It made an even more dramatic effect on body roll on higher speed turns.
I appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by fincher
There's lots here and I see one at least twice a week. The allocation the P dealer near us gets is likely one of the biggest in the US. We are spoiled here.
Well the other thing that makes me say that is that 2 other dealers have offered me unsolicited discounts to encourage an order. I had only reached out to them to inquire on exterior colors available for viewing. I know everyone is saying there's no discounting and some dealers are saying that but a buddy of mine got a real nice discount on an order. That's not a lot of data points though.

Last edited by Buckfever; 08-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the other thing that makes me say that is that 2 other dealers have offered me unsolicited discounts to encourage an order. I had only reached out to them to inquire in exterior colors available for viewing. I know everyone is saying there's no discounting and some dealers are saying that but a buddy of mine got a real nice discount on an order. That's not a lot of data points though.
Interesting. Is some sort of discount not the norm? To get one unsolicited is definitely unusual, though. I think the more people see Macans, it will really push sales. I see Q5s all over the place...must see at least a dozen each day.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts
Default PASM = traditional springs + driver-selectable-damping shock absorbers

My recollection is PASM also includes adjustable swaybar stiffness...
Old 08-10-2014, 01:48 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
it doesn't race around tracks all that well.
Which track did you take your's to, that you didn't like it?

To me, it looks like it's a lot of fun:

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 297 Posts

Really was feeling the Macan. I'm bummed I could not locate one, or a build. I ended up getting a 2014 MB E350 wagon. Just picked it up yesterday.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Macan S for a daily driver.