Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Track wheels and tools should fit in the trunk
I suspect that would be a tight fit in a Macan.
I've only taken 4 Cayenne wheels/tires in my Cayenne and that was tight, not a lot of extra room.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a set of 997 track wheels in the trunk of our Range Rover Sport and there was plenty of room left over. There might just be enough space in a Macan. For sure there is if you can fold down the back seats.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I fit 4 rs rears and 4 fronts in my cayenne. That was tight. Nothing else will fit except a passenger. Would be great if macan was a realistic tow vehicle but just seems too close to rating to tow a gt3. Caynne works well with an open trailer. With plenty of capacity left for stuff.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I don't think Porsche intends the Macan to be the primary tow vehicle in the lineup, I suspect they're leaving the Cayenne for that duty. There are enough Cayennes ordered (by customers) w/out the tow package that I believe they're not too worried about a lack of customers for the Macan.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I don't think Porsche intends the Macan to be the primary tow vehicle in the lineup, I suspect they're leaving the Cayenne for that duty. There are enough Cayennes ordered (by customers) w/out the tow package that I believe they're not too worried about a lack of customers for the Macan.
The funny thing about all of this is that Porsche representatives are still unsure (or very sure) about the tow ratings for the Macan. People that have attended recent Porsche sponsored events have been told that the 5000+ tow rating is still intact.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rolltide86
The funny thing about all of this is that Porsche representatives are still unsure (or very sure) about the tow ratings for the Macan. People that have attended recent Porsche sponsored events have been told that the 5000+ tow rating is still intact.
Couldn't agree more. Would be nice if they put the rating on the Macan spec sheet on their web site. How difficult would that be?
I just checked the website again, it's still not on there.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect that would be a tight fit in a Macan.
I've only taken 4 Cayenne wheels/tires in my Cayenne and that was tight, not a lot of extra room.
Couldn't agree more. Would be nice if they put the rating on the Macan spec sheet on their web site. How difficult would that be?
I just checked the website again, it's still not on there.
Agree x3.

From crawling around in one, the rear area of the Macan is limited in both depth and height even with the seats down.

Honestly the trunk size is very similar (maybe even smaller in depth) to my Audi S wagon. I can get 4 tires in same for transport for flipping on the rim, etc, but not much else.

And once a trailer is added, the total GVW ratings start to come into play as well (another # I don't know...) so packing the interior might be a non-starter.

As my Wife puts it: The Cayenne is too big for our everyday use; the Macan is the 'Goldilocks' size, fun to drive day to day but could handle some stuff when needed.

Porsche needs to clear this issue up and put a period on same...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Just curious, what is the weight limitations of the roof bars? I seriously doubt you could (or would want to) put 4 wheels on the roof but if you could put 1 (or both) the front wheels of a track vehicle up there it would sure help with the interior space.

I've ordered mine with both the tow pkg. and the roof rails, I tow a good bit but have never needed the roof storage but since the roof rails can only be installed during build I'm getting them now (cheap option in the Porsche scheme of things).
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Test drove an "S" model this evening (and drooled over some other Pcars ) ~ was VERY impressed!

Last edited by 911Königin; 09-25-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karen England
Test drove an "S" model this evening (and drooled over some other Pcars ) ~ was VERY impressed! I was informed the maximum weight that Porsche is comfortable with for towing is 1,550 pounds.
If Porsche is dropping their tow rating for the Macan from (originally) ~5,400 lbs down to 1,550 lbs. I think there's going to be some really pissed off customers.... and I'll be one of them!!

I have an "S" on order, expecting a late Oct. delivery. If the 1,550 lbs. figure is correct it will result in my canceling my order.

It would REALLY be nice if Porsche would settle this issue and put the official numbers in the spec sheet on their Macan web page.

I think the 1,550 sounds more like a kg number than a lb. number (at least I hope so).

Last edited by Slow Guy; 09-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 342 Posts

I'm fairly certain the manual already states the 4K number. Owners, please chime in.

I'm in the same boat (late Oct/early Nov delivery). I'm not sure the wife would allow to cancel (it's hers) but it would surely suck!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

OK, my latest Google search found this Porsche Press Release on the 2015 Macan models.... I would rather they post these figures on the Macan web page too, relying on just a press release doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

4,409 braked is reasonable to me. The figure Karen was given is for un-braked trailers I suspect. Pretty sure most states require that trailers have brakes if they're in the 2,500 - 3,500 range anyway so it shouldn't be a big issue. The bigger U-Haul trailers have surge brakes so they would be in compliance with Porsche's specs.

Surge brakes are common on smaller trailers (and U-Haul trailers) including small to midsize boat trailers. Electric controlled trailer brakes are more common on bigger trailers and custom trailers (ones that aren't used by several different tow vehicles).

Trailer brake requirements by state Quick glance shows most state requirements are 3,000 lbs but a few are as low as 1,500.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Macan 2015 Tech Specs.pdf (49.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

OK, my latest Google search found this Porsche Press Release on the 2015 Macan models.... I would rather they post these figures on the Macan web page too, relying on just a press release doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

4,409 braked is reasonable to me. The figure Karen was given is for un-braked trailers I suspect. Pretty sure most states require that trailers have brakes if they're in the 2,500 - 3,500 range anyway so it shouldn't be a big issue. The bigger U-Haul trailers have surge brakes so they would be in compliance with Porsche's specs.

Surge brakes are common on smaller trailers (and U-Haul trailers) including small to midsize boat trailers. Electric controlled trailer brakes are more common on bigger trailers and custom trailers (ones that aren't used by several different tow vehicles).

Trailer brake requirements by state Quick glance shows most state requirements are 3,000 lbs but a few are as low as 1,500.
That is correct. The original braked capacity for Macan was stated at over 5,000 lbs. which would have accommodated my aluminum braked trailer carrying my GT3. After ordering, I found out they lowered it to the 4,409 number, which is almost exactly the total weight of what I am towing. Too close for comfort, so will not be using the Macan for towing.

Have heard the weak links in the towing capacity are the PDK (and the small rear brakes to an extent as well).

When I was at the track a couple of weekends ago, a RR Evoque pulled up next to me towing a 911 on a fairly heavy trailer. Evoque's must have higher tow ratings that Macan.

I put a nice cover on the hitch receiver on the Macan.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

The latest info I found says the braked towing capacity of the Evoque is only 3500 lbs. Unbraked is half that. Supposedly it was originally going to be 4500 lbs, but the rating was lowered shortly after it came out.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I looked for the rating for the SQ5 on Audi's web site but couldn't find it either.

Quick Reply: Towing