Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan/Cayenne Design Flaw (Cupholder Woes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Macan/Cayenne Design Flaw (Cupholder Woes)

had this happen twice in my 2011/2012 cayenne models.. but both times my phone was elsewhere (the cayenne ashtray is perfect size for iphone5/5S)...

today i was in my macanS and stopped to get a quick bite to eat with my girlfriend, got a delicious NC bbq pork sandwich with slaw and a cup of water (styrofoam), when placing the cup (actually not even a large cup, smaller than usual)... the cup became punctured by the cup holder "arms" and instantly flooded the cupholder area which subsquently submerged both our phones (honestly no other place to set them while driving in the macan, the doors lack a place for phone and the bottle holder area was being used to bottles of water (wish we just drank these instead of desiring cold water!)

either way, instantly panic'd and removed the phones.... now the cupholder area was full of water and removed shirt to soak up the water (there are drain holes under the rubber but there is also a wiring harness located there i was concerned about)

has anyone else had the cupholders for macan/cayenne puncture a cup? if this has happened to me a total of 3 times... i'm sure it has happened to others.... honestly would love the macan/cayenne to have cupholder situation similar to boxster/911 where it comes from the dash and honestly never had a problem with that system besides when the spring becomes weak and wont click smaller.

-phoneless in NC
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry this happened to you.

We've used our cup holders in our Cayenne quite a bit, but never had a puncture.
Only done styrofoam cups a very few times though.

Hope your phones are okay!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM
wccphd
4th Gear

Sorry about the phone. Eastern or Western NC barbecue? Either way its good.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Don't know if this will help or not. My wife insists on using oversized cups that don't fit in the standard Cayenne cup holders. I bought the adapter shown at the link and added a foam insert around the bottom so that it would fit snugly in the Cayenne cup holder. I've never had a spill or had it slip out in the past two years of ownership.

Yes it is oversized and ugly, but it works. I have punctured Styrofoam cups in the stock version, don't have to worry about it with this adapter.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
Sorry this happened to you.

We've used our cup holders in our Cayenne quite a bit, but never had a puncture.
Only done styrofoam cups a very few times though.

Hope your phones are okay!
still in rice...... ill check em tomorrow.

Originally Posted by wccphd
Sorry about the phone. Eastern or Western NC barbecue? Either way its good.
eastern, wilmington NC
Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 PM
wccphd
4th Gear

At least you are getting good barbecue.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Same cupholder arms in 958 Cayennes. But no problems with paper cups from Starbucks , McDonalds, etc.

You're still seeing styrofoam cups in the Southeast, huh? On the west coast there would be picket lines outside a restaurant that uses styrofoam cups.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
K7baico
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in Wilm from 87 to 91 and I still remember my first BBQ sandwich. It only took that first order to remember to tell them "no slaw" on the sandwich. Never could get used to that....great BBQ though.

Quick Reply: Macan/Cayenne Design Flaw (Cupholder Woes)