Notices
Macan 2014-Current

My New Macan Turbo Order

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ecybur;12338790]New to the forum and configuring a Macan Turbo. Have been reading a lot of the recent posts. Seems like most people go for the Premium Plus package. Am I being dumb for not really wanting all of the park assist and lane assist gizmos? Any thoughts of the Burmester extra bang for the buck? Opinions on the sport exhaust? Is matte black window trim not available for 2016?[/QUOTE
The premium plus gives some great options for a SUV. This is not a 911 or Boxster but a SUV. Of all the options you get with the premium plus, the only one I do not like is the LKA, I just hate the slight tugging of the wheel when I don't use a turn signal. I have used every other option and these should all be on a luxury SUV. That package gives you the best bang when equipping one of these vehicles. As far as shaving off weight for rigidity, if you need this, Take some driving lessons, they will help more than any gains from removing a sunroof.
This is a SUV that at this time is quicker than most, does well on a track for a lap or two and you already selected the most important part if opting for performance, you made it a turbo. The burmeister is great but my hearing is not so I opted for the Bose system. Some of the music guys love the upgrade, and I do listen to the music more in the Macan than my 911. But I would highly recommend the premium plus package...
Old 06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

The Macan is hardly an "SUV". It's really a Crossover. More so a Performance Crossover with luxury than Luxury SUV with performance, imo. It's not that much taller than a large sedan, especially with the lower air suspension.

As for all the nannies and fluff options. It depends on what one wants out of the car. I prefer a build more geared towards sportier handling and styling (power is solid enough across the board for my environment). So every little bit towards that counts. I also think that a Macan in basic form with Premium is already inherently luxurious for what I envision a sporty Porsche Crossover.... but that's because I personally prefer to take advantage of said cars inherent comfort basis to try to enhance it elsewhere as much within the budget I allot towards the car itself. Of course, it depends on what you want to spend.

As for weight. I don't think anyone should forego a sunroof solely to save weight. But if you already don't want a sunroof, then shaving off around 100 lbs from the highest point of a vehicle and any complimentary result in rigidity is simply a nice bonus, and a fundamental benefactor. I find lowering cog on a car of this height is actually more drastic and noticeable than on a lower cog car.

Last edited by K-A; 06-09-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll add my thought that if you're really concerned about shaving weight and lowering the CoG, then you probably shouldn't be buying an SUV. Buy a sport car and live with the limitations that come with it.

The Macan is a compromise. It's taller and heavier than most cars, but errs on the sportier side of the utility spectrum. I knew this going in -- I was ceding performance because I needed the utility more often. Accept that you're doing that if you buy a Macan. I think it's an amazing compromise of objectives and I'm very happy with mine, but I don't have any illusions about what I'm giving up.

If you want to carve canyons and spend your weekends at the track, Porsche offers other models for you. If you want to enjoy your daily commute and carry some stuff to boot, the Macan is a great choice.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:49 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I'll add my thought that if you're really concerned about shaving weight and lowering the CoG, then you probably shouldn't be buying an SUV. Buy a sport car and live with the limitations that come with it.

The Macan is a compromise. It's taller and heavier than most cars, but errs on the sportier side of the utility spectrum. I knew this going in -- I was ceding performance because I needed the utility more often. Accept that you're doing that if you buy a Macan. I think it's an amazing compromise of objectives and I'm very happy with mine, but I don't have any illusions about what I'm giving up.

If you want to carve canyons and spend your weekends at the track, Porsche offers other models for you. If you want to enjoy your daily commute and carry some stuff to boot, the Macan is a great choice.
I need what the Macan offers in headroom and find the experience enhanced with less weight on the roof and a lower center of gravity, for what I want out of it. Don't need a 911 to appreciate the physics of both. Personally, I think the Macan isn't a great simply utility vehicle, but a great sports vehicle with utility. It's downright sportily sleek and dainty compared to a true SUV, but high enough to be extra inherently utilitarian compared to a sedan. But Porsche do everything they can to sacrifice its utility for sport and style, relying on the inherent fundamentals the package supplies in utility to consider "enough" (again, like I consider it). So to me, keeping weight and center of gravity lower, whilst not giving up weight adders that I do want, are beneficial to achieving that.

The Macan is a compromise for those who seek a sports car. That's the whole purpose if it via why Porsche brought it out. I've driven several Macan's and do find that you can tell enough of a difference especially when pushing through some corners in the heavier loaded (namely sunroof) and higher sitting models. Which are what are important to me. The Macan really has no true competition for its whole package, so you can really flavor it how you like.

Quick Reply: My New Macan Turbo Order