Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Macan Review - Initial Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a lot of first time Porsche ladies buying a lightly optioned Macan S around $60,000-$63,000 which is where the car needs to be to get a reasonable lease deal.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Brett / Sonnen Porsche... Since you are actively answering questions here... I asked this on the other thread too.. but does the mid tier leather Package (VF) include the door panel right above the armrest and below the aluminium trim area in leather. I am not talking about the very top of the door, which I realize includes stitching only with the full leather interior.. just the one panel. The Porsche Macan brochure says it does.. the configurator makes no mention of it when it lists what is covered with this.. if you have a Macan on your lot that has the VF package .. (Turbo comes standard with it), would you be kind enough to let us know...
Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Glad i could provide some entertainment value! Fair point, invalid generalization due to poor wording, not intent. No upside to trying to say anymore, one of those situations where I'll probably just end up making it worse

...and I will still try to get some pictures of the "space" between the tire and the fender.
I agree. Just this morning as she was leaving I patted my wife's behind, a playful gesture I thought, for which I was reprimanded. Apparently after 25 years of marriage I remain completely clueless.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rpilot
@Brett / Sonnen Porsche... Since you are actively answering questions here... I asked this on the other thread too.. but does the mid tier leather Package (VF) include the door panel right above the armrest and below the aluminium trim area in leather. I am not talking about the very top of the door, which I realize includes stitching only with the full leather interior.. just the one panel. The Porsche Macan brochure says it does.. the configurator makes no mention of it when it lists what is covered with this.. if you have a Macan on your lot that has the VF package .. (Turbo comes standard with it), would you be kind enough to let us know...
Yes it does. The top of the door is not covered in leather bu the middle piece is.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:05 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Yes it does. The top of the door is not covered in leather bu the middle piece is.
Awesome, thank you.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Having just returned from Alabama where I got to drive these cars on roads and the track I must say the car was very impressive. However the Air Suspension is a must tick box in my opinion as the ride is considerable better as well as the handling of the car. I drove a SQ5 on track against the Macan S and it was very good and probably sufficient for most folks....but for similar $$$ you could be driving a much better handling and braking car with Porsche chassis tuning and a better gearbox. The rear of the car has a counterweight built into the chassis which flexes the chassis to create over-steer in the car....which on the track I can attest to! Both the S and Turbo models are plenty fast with fat low rev torque production but do need the PSE option ticked later in the year when available to improve the sound. My 2 cents....
Did you find more roll with the air compared to the steel springs on the track? what was your perception?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Did you find more roll with the air compared to the steel springs on the track? what was your perception?
The opposite..less roll with the air suspension in the stiffest setting and low mode engaged.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

The opposite..less roll with the air suspension in the stiffest setting and low mode engaged.
Do you happen to know if the Sport/Suspension settings are remembered with the Entry&Drive system so if select Sport+/Low etc those settings will be selected next time I get back in the car?

Thanks Brett
Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience, performance and safety settings are never linked to key memory...I am sure for liability reasons Porsche requires a conscious decision and button push to activate sport, sport+, and suspension settings, PASM on/off, etc.

On my 991C4S, the settings that go into memory are PCM and comfort settings (A/C on-off, seat and steering positions, etc.)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I confirmed with my salesman, the Low setting is remembered but the Sport is not.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Thank you so much. We've been struggling with the varied feedback from the reviews. Intuitively it's hard for me to believe that given the versatility of the air and PASM combined with the lower COG that it wouldn't have been engineered for less roll in the stiffest setting.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a street car, air ride is awesome. Springs work great if tuned for track, but then its nearly undriveable as a daily driver on the street.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Macan S vs 335d

This is a follow-up on my initial test drive from a week ago.

Some people may ask why I am comparing a CUV to a sport sedan, here is why. As you can see from my signature, I am currently driving a 2011 BMW 335d (e90). For those not familiar with this car, it has a Diesel engine with 425 lb-ft of torque but “only” 265 hp. While I love to drive it the ~100 miles per day round trip, I was craving a Porsche for a long time, in other words going thru a mid-life crisis .

My ideal Porsche car would have been somehow smaller than Panamera, with seating for five, wagon or hatch, big enough to fit a car seat in the back and under $70,000. Unfortunately, this ideal car is not yet available (Pajun anyone?) but the Macan was officially announced just in time.

So how does the Macan fit in this picture and will it be more fun to drive then the 335d? When I took the first test drive last Saturday, I wasn’t sure. The test drive itself was quite short and I was a little surprised by the size or heft of the Macan, it is a large car compared to the 335d. Today, I am glad to report that the answer to this question is H*ll Yeah!

Here is why!

Steering
The Macan steering is absolutely heads and shoulder above the 335d steering. Keep in mind, I am comparing an electric assist steering in the Macan with the old school (read much better than the current BWM one) hydraulic assist that was available on the e90/e92 cars. While the e90 steering is heavier and gives more road feel, the Macan steering simply takes it to another level, a lot, and I mean a LOT more precise. True, the Macan steering is lighter and doesn’t have as much road feedback, but you cannot be unimpressed by the precision and feel on the Porsche side. Not to talk about the actual steering wheel, it is simply the best steering wheel available in a sub-$100K car!

Transmission
I am repeating myself here but the PDK is very sweet, the best auto-manual transmission available IMO. Okay, maybe Ferrari makes a better one but even if true, it says something about the PDK. To quote myself:

Today I pushed the car harder (ok, a lot harder) and also got to hear some burp-like sound in between the shifts while accelerating, different than the rev matching sound when decelerating. Not sure exactly how to describe it but I was in heaven. Too bad the car is so well insulated, too well I would say.

The 335d has a slush box, enough said about it.

Handling
The 335d curb weight is listed at about 3,825 lbs., approximately 300 lbs. less than the Macan S (without Pano roof mind you). So the Macan is heavier and taller. Let me tell you, you can’t tell that based on how it drives. Today I got to push the Macan a lot harder and I was very pleased, IMO it does out-handle my DD even without AS and PTV+. There is something about the Macan chassis and how it transfers weight from front to back that makes it a much better car. In my 335d I never quite know when I am about to oversteer or understeer when pushed hard, the Macan on the other hand is very predictable and reliable, controlled oversteering is available on demand without much effort .

Engine & Power
I know I am comparing apples and oranges here but they are all fruits . The 335d has abrupt power delivery when the torque kicks in, it slams you to the seat-back. The Macan is faster on paper and in real life but smooth and refined, there is no rush of power when pressing on the gas.

I did manage to get some torque kick from the Macan couple of times, however. So the power while not overwhelming, it is adequate. Only one time when I was flooring it while going uphill on an overpass, I felt the need for more power.

Did I mention how fast is the Macan S , I was changing lanes on the freeway in preparation for an exit and I thought I was going about 65 based on how it felt and sounded, when I looked down it was 90+ . My advice to fellow forum readers, buy a radar detector, you can thank me later.

Conclusion
The Macan is a great car and I know it will put a grin on my face every time I get to drive it. This, or I would have refused delivery, non-refundable deposit be dammed!

P.S. About that exhaust sound or lack thereof… Oh, never-mind, it is a CUV and family vehicle after all, for me.

P.P.S. Who am I kidding, I will get that PSE installed the minute is available to order.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
This is a follow-up on my initial test drive from a week ago.

Some people may ask why I am comparing a CUV to a sport sedan, here is why. As you can see from my signature, I am currently driving a 2011 BMW 335d (e90). For those not familiar with this car, it has a Diesel engine with 425 lb-ft of torque but “only” 265 hp. While I love to drive it the ~100 miles per day round trip, I was craving a Porsche for a long time, in other words going thru a mid-life crisis .

My ideal Porsche car would have been somehow smaller than Panamera, with seating for five, wagon or hatch, big enough to fit a car seat in the back and under $70,000. Unfortunately, this ideal car is not yet available (Pajun anyone?) but the Macan was officially announced just in time.

So how does the Macan fit in this picture and will it be more fun to drive then the 335d? When I took the first test drive last Saturday, I wasn’t sure. The test drive itself was quite short and I was a little surprised by the size or heft of the Macan, it is a large car compared to the 335d. Today, I am glad to report that the answer to this question is H*ll Yeah!

Here is why!

Steering
The Macan steering is absolutely heads and shoulder above the 335d steering. Keep in mind, I am comparing an electric assist steering in the Macan with the old school (read much better than the current BWM one) hydraulic assist that was available on the e90/e92 cars. While the e90 steering is heavier and gives more road feel, the Macan steering simply takes it to another level, a lot, and I mean a LOT more precise. True, the Macan steering is lighter and doesn’t have as much road feedback, but you cannot be unimpressed by the precision and feel on the Porsche side. Not to talk about the actual steering wheel, it is simply the best steering wheel available in a sub-$100K car!

Transmission
I am repeating myself here but the PDK is very sweet, the best auto-manual transmission available IMO. Okay, maybe Ferrari makes a better one but even if true, it says something about the PDK. To quote myself:

Today I pushed the car harder (ok, a lot harder) and also got to hear some burp-like sound in between the shifts while accelerating, different than the rev matching sound when decelerating. Not sure exactly how to describe it but I was in heaven. Too bad the car is so well insulated, too well I would say.

The 335d has a slush box, enough said about it.
I *HATE* the BMW SLOTHTRONIC(tm) transmission ... I think they borrowed the technology from an old tug boat...

Originally Posted by sebis
Handling
The 335d curb weight is listed at about 3,825 lbs., approximately 300 lbs. less than the Macan S (without Pano roof mind you). So the Macan is heavier and taller. Let me tell you, you can’t tell that based on how it drives. Today I got to push the Macan a lot harder and I was very pleased, IMO it does out-handle my DD even without AS and PTV+. There is something about the Macan chassis and how it transfers weight from front to back that makes it a much better car. In my 335d I never quite know when I am about to oversteer or understeer when pushed hard, the Macan on the other hand is very predictable and reliable, controlled oversteering is available on demand without much effort .

Engine & Power
I know I am comparing apples and oranges here but they are all fruits . The 335d has abrupt power delivery when the torque kicks in, it slams you to the seat-back. The Macan is faster on paper and in real life but smooth and refined, there is no rush of power when pressing on the gas.

I did manage to get some torque kick from the Macan couple of times, however. So the power while not overwhelming, it is adequate. Only one time when I was flooring it while going uphill on an overpass, I felt the need for more power.

Did I mention how fast is the Macan S , I was changing lanes on the freeway in preparation for an exit and I thought I was going about 65 based on how it felt and sounded, when I looked down it was 90+ . My advice to fellow forum readers, buy a radar detector, you can thank me later.

Conclusion
The Macan is a great car and I know it will put a grin on my face every time I get to drive it. This, or I would have refused delivery, non-refundable deposit be dammed!

P.S. About that exhaust sound or lack thereof… Oh, never-mind, it is a CUV and family vehicle after all, for me.

P.P.S. Who am I kidding, I will get that PSE installed the minute is available to order.
[/QUOTE]

great review, thanks...
Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK is a good tranny. I drove a Panamera Turbo S with AS. the Macan was not out yet so I figured this would be the closest PDK comparison. I could be wrong.

I decided to order an Audi S4 because it had a manual transmission and was much more fun to drive. I drove the SQ5 (same chassis as the Macan) and 0-60 is within 0.1 sec of the Macan S. It was not as fun to drive and the S4 is faster. I love the S4 and so does my wife. It has enough storage for us. We do not have to have passengers in the back seat for long trips...but the back seat is very comfortable.

BTW PDK is a fine tranny but not in the same class as the Ferrari DCT. shifts are 40 milliseconds and there is absolutely no jerking when upshifting at 9K rpm.

Best

Quick Reply: Porsche Macan Review - Initial Test Drive