Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Macan Review - Initial Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Thanks and I appreciate it. If the Macan was riding lower (I am not looking for a CUV here) I would have omitted AS. And if I didn't have a 15 months old baby in the car, I would have omitted PASM as well.
YVW. It's good to have a decent debate on options. And FWIW, I fully agree with your observations on PDK. Having had it for over a year now, it is the probably the best transmission I have ever had. From what I hear they have tuned it even more in the Macan vs the 991.

I do have a question. What are your thoughts on the rear visibility (ie: how bad is the porthole effect out of the rear window) and rear/side visibility ? (ie: the kind you need to rapidly change lanes), if you paid attention to that sort of thing. I am going to order the LCA, still nothing beats visual visibility.

Last edited by rpilot; 05-13-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpilot
YVW. It's good to have a decent debate on options. And FWIW, I fully agree with your observations on PDK. Having had it for over a year now, it is the probably the best transmission I have ever had. From what I hear they have tuned it even more in the Macan vs the 991.

I do have a question. What are your thoughts on the rear visibility (ie: how bad is the porthole effect out of the rear window) and rear/side visibility ? (ie: the kind you need to rapidly change lanes), if you paid attention to that sort of thing. I am going to order the LCA, still nothing beats visual visibility.
I ordered the LCA myself. The rear window is not that big from looking out from the back seat. However, during the test drive I didn't feel that there are visibility issues when changing lanes. Now, I was going faster then everyone else so wasn't that concern with what is in the back anyway .
Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Cool review! Excellence has one as well - just received in the mail
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
You mention it has less space than the sq5? How is the rear? The rear legroom and headroom is big for me since it will be my DD.

Jeff
This is one of the reasons we bought a new SQ5 in April (ordered in December, took delivery in April). There is more space in the back of the SQ5 than the Macan, but I wouldn't say it's a huge difference. The SQ5 still has less space than our Cayenne. FWIW, I'm 6'4" and I can sit in the back of the SQ5 with no problem. I wouldn't want to take a long road trip back there, but it's fine around town.

Like the Macan, the SQ5 loves to be pushed. It's as quiet and calm as a standard Q5 in comfort mode or auto mode. If you put it in dynamic mode and give it some gas, it becomes a totally different animal.

Personally, I prefer the look of the Macan to the SQ5. That being said, the SQ5 is my wife's daily driver, and she likes the boxy look of the Audi better.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Having just returned from Alabama where I got to drive these cars on roads and the track I must say the car was very impressive. However the Air Suspension is a must tick box in my opinion as the ride is considerable better as well as the handling of the car. I drove a SQ5 on track against the Macan S and it was very good and probably sufficient for most folks....but for similar $$$ you could be driving a much better handling and braking car with Porsche chassis tuning and a better gearbox. The rear of the car has a counterweight built into the chassis which flexes the chassis to create over-steer in the car....which on the track I can attest to! Both the S and Turbo models are plenty fast with fat low rev torque production but do need the PSE option ticked later in the year when available to improve the sound. My 2 cents....
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Having just returned from Alabama where I got to drive these cars on roads and the track I must say the car was very impressive. However the Air Suspension is a must tick box in my opinion as the ride is considerable better as well as the handling of the car. I drove a SQ5 on track against the Macan S and it was very good and probably sufficient for most folks....but for similar $$$ you could be driving a much better handling and braking car with Porsche chassis tuning and a better gearbox. The rear of the car has a counterweight built into the chassis which flexes the chassis to create over-steer in the car....which on the track I can attest to! Both the S and Turbo models are plenty fast with fat low rev torque production but do need the PSE option ticked later in the year when available to improve the sound. My 2 cents....
lucky beggar!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"However the Air Suspension is a must tick box in my opinion as the ride is considerable better as well as the handling of the car."

This is the feedback I'm looking for and need to explore for myself.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
"However the Air Suspension is a must tick box in my opinion as the ride is considerable better as well as the handling of the car."

This is the feedback I'm looking for and need to explore for myself.
If Brett lets me drive the Macans tomorrow (dont even know if thats possible) I'll write up my feedback
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the report! I'm anxious to hear from some of the guys at my dealer to get their impressions. Question for you...your review certainly speaks to the majority of the rennlist community - what review would you give to the female buyer? My wife is excited to get her Macan in June, and I know some of the "must tick" options you mention (like PSE) are of no interest to her. Does Porsche have any official (or unofficial) position on what percentage of Macans they expect to be driven primarily by women?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 PM
ser42
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Thanks for the report! I'm anxious to hear from some of the guys at my dealer to get their impressions. Question for you...your review certainly speaks to the majority of the rennlist community - what review would you give to the female buyer? My wife is excited to get her Macan in June, and I know some of the "must tick" options you mention (like PSE) are of no interest to her. Does Porsche have any official (or unofficial) position on what percentage of Macans they expect to be driven primarily by women?
I'm a woman and an enthusiast and would likely choose the options other rennlist members would. Perhaps you mean non-enthusiasts?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by ser42
I'm a woman and an enthusiast and would likely choose the options other rennlist members would. Perhaps you mean non-enthusiasts?

Sorry brother.. Hammer911...
Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ #WarOnWomen lol
Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3

She didn't mean it we still need the wheel gap pictures. LOL
Old 05-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad i could provide some entertainment value! Fair point, invalid generalization due to poor wording, not intent. No upside to trying to say anymore, one of those situations where I'll probably just end up making it worse

...and I will still try to get some pictures of the "space" between the tire and the fender.

Last edited by Hammer911; 05-15-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I was surprised how much better the ride was with the Air Suspension ticked as we went from a car with 19's on steel suspension to a car with Air Suspension and 20 inch wheels and the ride improved considerably. The PSE may not be for everyone and if your wife is concerned about noise then by all means do not tick that box. I think a lot of folks will be happy with the base interior or leather package as well over the full leather interior to save a few duckets. Larry you are welcome to drive a car on Friday mate!

Quick Reply: Porsche Macan Review - Initial Test Drive