Macan 2014-Current

Why the smaller width up front?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckfever
Fine I hear you all. Now someone find me an off road tire that fits. Thank you very much.
If you want off-road, get a Jeep or a Range Rover.... It's not what this car is made for, despite what Porsche says.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting thread. There are many reasons for tire sizing but it all boils down to what the manufacturer intended. Going, say, 10mm wider wont really change anything. Going a lot wider, especially on a STREET car, can have unintended effects on tracking and over/understeer.

BTW the Cayenne has equal size tires.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
If you want off-road, get a Jeep or a Range Rover.... It's not what this car is made for, despite what Porsche says.

Suzy (via iOS app)
It's interesting there's a poll up at the Macan forum and the preponderance are selecting "soft roading" as an option. I like outdoor recreation. To get to some of the remote spots I need to negotiate mile long unmanaged dirt/gravel roads. This isn't serious off roading, but you need clearance so you don't bottom out, AWD and off road capable tires to handle the mud. Worse case scenario I go through 10" of water. We also have snow, lots of it. And I'm out there when it's snowing too, so an off road tire with a snowflake rating is even better.

But this is a very small percentage of my life and I don't want to be stuck with a Jeep or Range Rover. No offense if that's you're thing. I have a 4 Runner that's unreal in this regard. Last week I drove 300 miles to a remote state park and had to drive down just such a road. My wife's 4 series would have to have been towed out. But I would have enjoyed the drive down there immensely more.

I think there's a lot of people like me that want a Porsche, but need that soft roading utility that this iteration provides.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting there's a poll up at the Macan forum and the preponderance are selecting "soft roading" as an option. I like outdoor recreation. To get to some of the remote spots I need to negotiate mile long unmanaged dirt/gravel roads. This isn't serious off roading, but you need clearance so you don't bottom out, AWD and off road capable tires to handle the mud. Worse case scenario I go through 10" of water. We also have snow, lots of it. And I'm out there when it's snowing too, so an off road tire with a snowflake rating is even better.

But this is a very small percentage of my life and I don't want to be stuck with a Jeep or Range Rover. No offense if that's you're thing. I have a 4 Runner that's unreal in this regard. Last week I drove 300 miles to a remote state park and had to drive down just such a road. My wife's 4 series would have to have been towed out. But I would have enjoyed the drive down there immensely more.

I think there's a lot of people like me that want a Porsche, but need that soft roading utility that this iteration provides.
+1
Old 04-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Maybe a Dacia Duster is a better option LOL!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404107...ent-in-morocco

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
interesting thread. There are many reasons for tire sizing but it all boils down to what the manufacturer intended. Going, say, 10mm wider wont really change anything. Going a lot wider, especially on a STREET car, can have unintended effects on tracking and over/understeer.

BTW the Cayenne has equal size tires.
Right and I know exactly what tires I would use for the Cayenne.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Maybe a Dacia Duster is a better option LOL!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404107...ent-in-morocco

Suzy (via iOS app)
See, probably didn't have the right tires. LOL
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

See, probably didn't have the right tires. LOL
Hahaha +1

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have read somewhere as to why the tire are sized the way they are.
It is a performance and handling purpose.
typically I believe it is a lot to do with a matching/balancing the f/r ratios of parameters such as 'slip angles' etc ... weight dist ...

You will note for example that very few (if any) FWD cars have staggered fitments f/r, nor do many FWD cars (where the power dist is typically 50/50) ...

In a RWD car (or FWD car with a power dist rear biased) the rear tires are required to do more 'work' since they are responsible for delivering the power
to the road, and therefore require a larger contact patch ...

The problem with changing to a larger front fitment is that you *may* cause problems with either the ABS, traction control or FWD system...

best to check in the Macan manual to see if they recommend a winter tire configuration that has equal dimension rubber all round and go with that
tire spec.

having said that, many 911 drivers go with wider rubber on the front, but usually also increase the rear width at the same time to maintain the contact patch ratios
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

... I need to negotiate mile long unmanaged dirt/gravel roads. This isn't serious off roading, but you need clearance so you don't bottom out, AWD and off road capable tires to handle the mud. Worse case scenario I go through 10" of water. We also have snow ...
Far be it from me to judge, but it sounds to me like you need to see how the Macan performs on its stock 18" tires before you decide you need to outfit aftermarket tires on it. I have forded snow, mud, and >24" of water in a Subaru Outback with stock M&S tires. Nothing you described requires more than that.

If all else fails and you really are lusting to beat up your Macan on truly brutal terrain, then perhaps by next year tire manufacturers will have more options for you ... and perhaps a matching winch to mount up front ahead of the ugly Macan cruise control radar thing.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by roule
Far be it from me to judge, but it sounds to me like you need to see how the Macan performs on its stock 18" tires before you decide you need to outfit aftermarket tires on it. I have forded snow, mud, and >24" of water in a Subaru Outback with stock M&S tires. Nothing you described requires more than that.

If all else fails and you really are lusting to beat up your Macan on truly brutal terrain, then perhaps by next year tire manufacturers will have more options for you ... and perhaps a matching winch to mount up front ahead of the ugly Macan cruise control radar thing.
What tires were those? In the Outback.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Getting back to the OP's original post about putting the same width rims all around: I read that because Porsche was told to use the Q5 platform, they made the styling changes they wanted and found they had room for wider rims at the back, so decided to capitalize on that by going with staggered offsets. In other words, they did it because they could. It also suggested that the wider rear rims allowed more aggressive driving on the track, suggesting that was the only place that the benefit was derived. I came away with the feeling that one could put the same size all around and do fine in normal driving conditions. For winter tires, I would seriously consider 18x8 or 18x9 wheels all around.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Getting back to the OP's original post about putting the same width rims all around: I read that because Porsche was told to use the Q5 platform, they made the styling changes they wanted and found they had room for wider rims at the back, so decided to capitalize on that by going with staggered offsets. In other words, they did it because they could. It also suggested that the wider rear rims allowed more aggressive driving on the track, suggesting that was the only place that the benefit was derived. I came away with the feeling that one could put the same size all around and do fine in normal driving conditions. For winter tires, I would seriously consider 18x8 or 18x9 wheels all around.
That might just be the best way to go. I can pick up 18s with some offroad snowflake rated tires and run them November through May when snow and mud is an issue. Especially if I go with the Spyders. I reached out to Conti regarding mud and snow tires and they responded: "Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC.

We currently do not have plans to manufacture a matched fitment for the Macan S."

I'm waiting on a few other inquiries and it's early who knows what will be provided in terms of fitment. But I suspect for my seasonal recreation needs a designated set is going to be required. Between the Blizzaks for my wife and mine they'll be 8 piled up in the corner of the garage.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
it might be worthwhile waiting for porsche to release the owners manual which may contain a "winter" spec for tires/wheels ...
Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it might be worthwhile waiting for porsche to release the owners manual which may contain a "winter" spec for tires/wheels ...
It's already a month available for the "Good to know" app.

This is all I can find.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 04-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Why the smaller width up front?