Notices
Macan 2014-Current

If no diesel in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why wouldnt P just fit the cayennes diesel into the macan?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
I hear (from Car & Driver) that a 4 cylinder is coming as well. We have the 2.0T in our 2011 Q5. I wonder if it will be the same engine??? That is what I would want.
The 4 cylinder turbo in the Macan is the same 2.0T engine currently in Euro Spec Q5 or may be tuned differently. The US spec 2.0 T is a an older version (state of tune?) of the current 2.0T in Euroland because Audi USA did not want to spend the extra $$$$ certifying the new engine for the USA for the Q5 MMC.

For now atleast the 4 cyl Macan plans for the US have been put aside. The reason is simple. Porsche has limited production capacity at the moment compared to demand for the Macan. It makes no real business sense to certify another engine for the US (a typically power hungry, somewhat mpg insensitive market) and then charge less for the car. If and when the production catches up with supply in the future, expect Porsche to bring some form of 4 cyl Macan to the US market. Whether that is with the MMC or second generation Macan 7 years from now is anyone's guess.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
...Porsche has limited production capacity at the moment compared to demand for the Macan. It makes no real business sense...
Could there ever be a business case for Audi and Porsche to offer practically identical capability vehicles, with near-identical powertrains? Some of us are puzzled that Audi released the SQ5 at the same time Porsche rolled out the Macan S. The market may be growing, but it seems foolish for sister companies to be fighting for the same market space.

Porsche would want to use a 4-cylinder gasoline engine in its sports cars only if it needed to respond to a spike in fuel prices. The Boxster/Cayman don'e even offer 4-cylinder models, and they weigh significantly less. In any event, worldwide economic sluggishness (not a bad thing, actually) has held down the price of oil, so it doesn't appear to be likely that Porsche would need to take drastic measures to achieve better fuel economy within the current generation Macan lifecycle. More likely, Porsche would adapt a compact VW/Audi 4-cylinder for use in a future Macan hybrid, which is probably several years away and will be designed for 918-like performance instead of fuel economy.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Base Macan with the four cylinder (1984cc, 235hp) is on the Beijing Motorshow. Will probably hit the European and North american market in the last quarter of this year.
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thre...9392551-1.html

The Boxster will get a flat-4 with the facelift at the end of 2015. Rumours are that even the next gen 911 could be offered with a flat-4 (although they should name it a 912 in that case I guess)

SQ5 and Macan S are indeed pretty similar in performance (both in US and Europe, where the SQ5 is a Diesel). OTOH, the SQ5 is Audi's top of the range Q5, where as the Macan S is the "base" 6 cylinder Macan. Macan is more aimed to be a sporty SUV with less practicallity. The SQ5 is a practical SUV with a slightly more sporty appearance and a tweaked suspension.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

The specs for the 2.0 base Macan are up on the UK website

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/mac...turesandspecs/

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

the Four in the Macan is just 237hp? How can it be? I mean there are other 4s w/ more power. The MB CLA AMG has like 340hp. What gives?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the Four in the Macan is just 237hp? How can it be? I mean there are other 4s w/ more power. The MB CLA AMG has like 340hp. What gives?
I expect it is because it is an entry level, so costs need to be reduced. Perhaps they should put the CLA motor in the S.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM
kosmo
Race Director

i like your thinking!! The base better cost like $30k in the US for that kinda of power.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:16 PM
pmt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roule
Could there ever be a business case for Audi and Porsche to offer practically identical capability vehicles, with near-identical powertrains? Some of us are puzzled that Audi released the SQ5 at the same time Porsche rolled out the Macan S. The market may be growing, but it seems foolish for sister companies to be fighting for the same market space.
Absolutely! As a general rule, the healthiest companies are the ones that compete from within, amongst their own product lines. There are many examples out there. Audi and Porsche competing is a very good thing for the development of the organization.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

^ very true
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Based on what we've read, I don't think we see the 2.0 in the US.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keninirvine
PDK according to Panorama magazine. The mag also says "PCNA plans to introduce the 3.0 liter V6 single turbo diesel in late 2014."
The SA I talked at the Toronto Auto Show in February, where the Macan was displayed, stated the Macan diesel will arrive late 2014 / early 2015.

Was in Germany last week on a business trip and managed to visit a Porsche dealership. They had a Macan in the showroom so I managed to check it out more thoroughly than I did at the auto show. I despise Urban Assault Vehicles... uh, SUVs, but I am seriously considering the Macan.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suzy991
The specs for the 2.0 base Macan are up on the UK website

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/mac...turesandspecs/

Suzy (via iOS app)
So there is no 6-speed manual available on the base model in Europe ?
They have it for the Cayenne but not for the "sporty" Macan ?!
Just another lame automatic SUV
Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kr994
So there is no 6-speed manual available on the base model in Europe ? They have it for the Cayenne but not for the "sporty" Macan ?! Just another lame automatic SUV
Car is not available in Europe. On the British Porsche website there are specs, but the car can be ordered only on special request. Other European countries can't order the car Base Macan is only available as a RHD and specifically built for Asian markets, where they already got bored by manuals, just like in Europe.

A manual has nothing to do with a car being sporty or not. Unless you think that cars like Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Pagani Huyara, Lamborghini Huracán are lame as well.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a manual cayenne once as a loaner, apparently the only one in the country. It was truly a forgettable experience. I can totally understand why a manual in the Macan would be a very special order.....like a special needs type of order.

Quick Reply: If no diesel in the USA