Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Realistic to track Macan 2-3 times per year?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Realistic to track Macan 2-3 times per year?

Would it be realistic to track a Macan 2-3 times per year at HPDE's?

A little background, I currently track my Carrera twice a year and I'm not sure I can swing keeping both vehicles. Love going to the track but also need a family car sometime soon (2 kids now!).

I would hope to keep up with mid-level run groups even if that is a slight challenge at first. If this is impossible or unrealistic, sadly I may have to turn my sights to the upcoming M3 sedan.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, the process is the same. Have it checked out prior to taking it to the track to pass inspection.

It should be able to keep up to any of the older 911's, 944's and early boxster's that are running street tires.

I've taken my 05 Cayenne TT to the track though run sessions are limited due to over heating the brakes when pushing it hard. Though after backing off and just lifting and braking less I was able to have a lot of fun with it. I'm an advanced driver and the Cayenne is very quick and powerful but very heavy to get it to stop since it can get to high speeds rather quickly.

The modern cars are much more capable then my 05. I expect the Macan would be slightly better then the Cayenne and more of a momentum car for the S where the Turbo may still over heat the brakes if driven to hard.

I'd suggest getting another set of performance tires and wheels for the track and then run another set of all season for the rest of the time.

Check this out. Miracles of modern driving assists.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With no one having any direct experience or knowledge of the Macan yet, it's hard to provide a definitive answer. I've driven my Cayenne at DE's without a problem but it's not nearly as much fun as driving a 911/Boxster/Cayman on the track. Have to wait and see what the Macan experience is.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Austin
With no one having any direct experience or knowledge of the Macan yet, it's hard to provide a definitive answer. I've driven my Cayenne at DE's without a problem but it's not nearly as much fun as driving a 911/Boxster/Cayman on the track. Have to wait and see what the Macan experience is.
Why isn't fun. I found it an absolute blast. It is much more scary but when you get it to do things you would never expect from it it does it. Also very balanced when going sideways compared to my 996. Yes it losses some fun by losing the stick and tipronic shifts slow and the steering wheel buttons are awful which is why I use the gear shifter. The Macan will be pdk so it will be better in that regard but still not as fun as stick.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, it is fun, I didn't say it wasn't. Just not as much fun, for some of the same reasons you mention. Very balanced though, as you say.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why not? Not sure if the organizer would allow you to run in the mid level groups but with proper wheels and tires its possible. I'd avoid PCCB however.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
why not? Not sure if the organizer would allow you to run in the mid level groups but with proper wheels and tires its possible. I'd avoid PCCB however.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

That video of the Cayenne on the track looks no fun at all. Honestly, I think you'd have a lot more fun going and buying a 30 year old E30 or Miata and chucking that around. Plus you'd learn a lot more.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Macduff
Would it be realistic to track a Macan 2-3 times per year at HPDE's?

A little background, I currently track my Carrera twice a year and I'm not sure I can swing keeping both vehicles. Love going to the track but also need a family car sometime soon (2 kids now!).

I would hope to keep up with mid-level run groups even if that is a slight challenge at first. If this is impossible or unrealistic, sadly I may have to turn my sights to the upcoming M3 sedan.
Nope.

I have thought about it too because I can really only have one car here on the west coast and would rather a 911, but not practical for the wifey and newborn.

The Macan makes sense for us, but tracking the wife's Macan is not really gona cut it as a 911 alternative, so in order to maintain sanity I have considered looking for an affordable 964 to fill the void….
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Nope.

I have thought about it too because I can really only have one car here on the west coast and would rather a 911, but not practical for the wifey and newborn.

The Macan makes sense for us, but tracking the wife's Macan is not really gona cut it as a 911 alternative, so in order to maintain sanity I have considered looking for an affordable 964 to fill the void….
good choice.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Where's the video of the Macan on the Weissach test track when you need it.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Where's the video of the Macan on the Weissach test track when you need it.
+1 ... I think a turbo with PASM+air, PTV, and SC on 20s or 21s (with PCCB when available) could be a lot of fun ... not as much as a car ... but still fun
Old 02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Thanks for the comments all, I'm really going to have to give this some serious thought. I appreciate the perspective of those who have tracked their Cayenne's and agree that the Macan with its smaller/lighter/lower chassis should be even more exciting. Having tracked a Carrera though, I feel I may be a bit spoiled from that perspective. Tough decision, thanks again for all of the input.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 ... I think a turbo with PASM+air, PTV, and SC on 20s or 21s (with PCCB when available) could be a lot of fun ... not as much as a car ... but still fun
I hear ya.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macduff
Thanks for the comments all, I'm really going to have to give this some serious thought. I appreciate the perspective of those who have tracked their Cayenne's and agree that the Macan with its smaller/lighter/lower chassis should be even more exciting. Having tracked a Carrera though, I feel I may be a bit spoiled from that perspective. Tough decision, thanks again for all of the input.
its never going to be like tracking a 911 or a Cayman/Boxster, but with the right setup its going to be a pretty exciting ride...

I plan to take my turbo to the Ring next year when I take (euro) delivery

Quick Reply: Realistic to track Macan 2-3 times per year?