Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
You got the ford edge, FYI you don't have a Range Rover, it's a Land Rover Evoque with a marketing gimic calling it range rover. Btw those are some nice trails that even a VM golf can drive on. Not real off roading.
/agree.

Neither the Evoque or Macan are true off roaders. And no, driving on the trails is NOT real off roading in any form.

Clutch, my acura cost me 1/10th of your Evoque and it has been on the same trails as your car. It has same luxuries, it is faster in the straight line, and it will top out higher, has 200k miles on it now...so it is a better buy?

Evoque and Macan are the expensive versions of Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander, and Subaru Forester. Nice, luxurious cross overs.

Pictures of a 150MPH off-roader monster for sub $5,000

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 927 Likes on 519 Posts

The main problem with the Evoque is that is is very underpowered, with no larger engine option.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I call bull**** on the reviewer making a big deal out of this. I'm 6'2" and fit fine in a Q5, which is very similar to a Macan size-wise, with the exception of rear headroom. And I don't fit in many cars.....
+1

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

See below, laughing too hard.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
/agree.

Neither the Evoque or Macan are true off roaders. And no, driving on the trails is NOT real off roading in any form.

Clutch, my acura cost me 1/10th of your Evoque and it has been on the same trails as your car. It has same luxuries, it is faster in the straight line, and it will top out higher, has 200k miles on it now...so it is a better buy?

Evoque and Macan are the expensive versions of Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander, and Subaru Forester. Nice, luxurious cross overs.

Pictures of a 150MPH off-roader monster for sub $5,000
I don't know whether to keep laughing or respond. I'm going with the former. For a minute I thought you were serious.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank with this one. It's definitely not an entry level car and priced above both the Cayenne and a Boxster.

The 50k base price is pretty deceptive, because you REALLY don't want this car in base form. Decently equipped, you're looking at 65k for the S and 85k for the turbo. ...for a compact SUV.

As much as I really like this car, based on how much it costs, here are my 2 cents:

The Macan is not a car for existing Porsche owners, but for those who have always aspired to own a Porsche. They are active or have a small family, so a Boxster won't fit the size requirement. They are also fairly young (or feel young), so the Cayenne is just not sporty enough. They can only own one car to do everything.

If you already have a 911 and want to add a utility vehicle to your stable...your money is better spent on something other than a Macan.
+1

I was looking at the macan but probably will end up with a cayenne for more space. I have a 991 C2S.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank with this one. It's definitely not an entry level car and priced above both the Cayenne and a Boxster.

The 50k base price is pretty deceptive, because you REALLY don't want this car in base form. Decently equipped, you're looking at 65k for the S and 85k for the turbo. ...for a compact SUV.

As much as I really like this car, based on how much it costs, here are my 2 cents:

The Macan is not a car for existing Porsche owners, but for those who have always aspired to own a Porsche. They are active or have a small family, so a Boxster won't fit the size requirement. They are also fairly young (or feel young), so the Cayenne is just not sporty enough. They can only own one car to do everything.

If you already have a 911 and want to add a utility vehicle to your stable...your money is better spent on something other than a Macan.

I would have to say the Macan offers something for existing porsche owners as well as opening the door for new customers.

The segment is for those seeking a small vehicle that can carry 4 people in any weather everyday.

There are existing Porsche owners to fit this market as they do not require the larger (and more expensive) Cayenne but could use something small like the Macan when the 911 is parked.
Same goes for non Porsche owners currently in the mini-ute size market who have a few dollars more to spend or those interested in the Porsche brand but have a smaller budget below that of a Cayenne.

Going to be interesting to see how many they sell in the first year.
Hopefully the option pricing list dosnt scare off the new customers…. it adds up quickly!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

When considering the $50k S version is actually a middle model and not entry, their pricing doesn't seem unreasonable. Driving any new Porsche with 340 HP and PDK for less than $60k (moderately optioned) is an idea that's beginning to grow on me. It's about the same price as a base Boxster that has only 265 HP.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Evoke or Macan? The evoke to me is a fashion disaster that looks like a slab of concrete landed on it's roof and squashed it more down from the rear! Looks absolutely stupid to me. From inside it must be like peering out the slot of a letterbox….must be terribly claustrophobic. And then there is the engine and power train, the ugly interior trim and so forth. Ewk! I wouldn't want to be seen riding in one of these even as a passenger.

Macan all day every…..I truly see no comparison here.

Last edited by speed21; 11-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The reviewer here, at the LA auto show - notice his focus on how tight he says the cabin is, and he's not a large fellow. My takeaway from this is that this car is really targeted more towards women:
LOL, so a car with a tight cabin is intended for women? Does that mean the Ariel Atom is intended for Olympic gymnasts?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:55 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 927 Likes on 519 Posts

Yes, most women I know are smaller in height, weight, and body frame - then men.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I would have to say the Macan offers something for existing porsche owners as well as opening the door for new customers.

The segment is for those seeking a small vehicle that can carry 4 people in any weather everyday.

There are existing Porsche owners to fit this market as they do not require the larger (and more expensive) Cayenne but could use something small like the Macan when the 911 is parked.
Substitute Cayman for 911 and you have described my situation exactly. Although I do drive my Cayman year-round, I don't like to take it out when the roads are still covered in wintry moisture or by a lot of remnants of road treatment. In our situation, the Macan will replace a 328i X-drive wagon, which is nearing the end of its warranty period and, being a modern BMW, not something I care to deal with outside of warranty.

As for 'real off-road vehicles' I doubt many RR or Cayenne owners take their rigs out where we take our FJ Cruiser.

No doubt both the RR and Cayenne are capable vehicles, but the hit to the wallet for trail damage would seem quite prohibitive to me. I considered a Cayenne but ultimately decided on the FJ just for the cheap care and feeding requirements on the Toyota, plus a distinct lack of the Porsche tax when it comes to aftermarket accessories.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyca
Yes, most women I know are smaller in height, weight, and body frame - then men.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I think thats referred to as very high heels lol.

Anyway going by who usually drives these cars the greater majority appears to be mums doing school and shopping runs, and they always sit in the front. Not to say guys don't drive these cars as I certainly do on every occasion we go all go out. Love the drive of the car!! The 911 just doesn't have the same practicality for certain duties so…horse for courses. I think Macan will also see that.

The beauty of the Cayenne and Macan is a guy can be seen driving them without getting looked at funny like your in a "chick" car. I think the performance credentials really adds the masculinity to the car. I know my wife always comments that it is usually the blokes that are ogling her Cayenne.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:06 AM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Evoke or Macan? The evoke to me is a fashion disaster that looks like a slab of concrete landed on it's roof and squashed it more down from the rear! Looks absolutely stupid to me. From inside it must be like peering out the slot of a letterbox….must be terribly claustrophobic. And then there is the engine and power train, the ugly interior trim and so forth. Ewk! I wouldn't want to be seen riding in one of these even as a passenger.

Macan all day every…..I truly see no comparison here.
Well said. The Evoke looks like an electric iron.

Quick Reply: How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?