Macan 2014-Current

Tire Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 09:01 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Tire Sizing

What's up experts....looking for some real-world experience. Has anyone moved up a size in Macan tires? Not a +1, just a size increase. 275-45-20 and 305-40-20. Giving some thought to making the move. The wife drives a 21 base and I just snagged a super clean Papaya 22 S. Main reason I'm considering the move is to grab some Michelin AS3 tires. I've had great success running these on other vehicles and I'm not wanting to put MPSS4 on a Macan. I'll keep those exclusive to my GT4. I'm aware of the small mm increase in overall size that will lead to a 1mph speedo error. Also, this will be on an after-market 10.5 wheel in the rear.....Phil
The following users liked this post:
mark8 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 06:17 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
What's up experts....looking for some real-world experience. Has anyone moved up a size in Macan tires? Not a +1, just a size increase. 275-45-20 and 305-40-20. Giving some thought to making the move. The wife drives a 21 base and I just snagged a super clean Papaya 22 S. Main reason I'm considering the move is to grab some Michelin AS3 tires. I've had great success running these on other vehicles and I'm not wanting to put MPSS4 on a Macan. I'll keep those exclusive to my GT4. I'm aware of the small mm increase in overall size that will lead to a 1mph speedo error. Also, this will be on an after-market 10.5 wheel in the rear.....Phil
I did this just a couple of days ago. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N0 in the OE Cayenne fitment of 275/45/20 and 305/40/20. I went with these after using a two other smaller alternate sizes and Michelin PS4S. I typically run Summer tires but I've had a great experience with Pilot Sport 4 A/S on my other set of 21" wheels.

Aesthetically, the small bump in diameter and width was exactly what I was looking for. They close the wheel gap while complimenting the SUV-ness of the car very well vs. the smaller sidewalls on the 21" setups.

I can give more impressions of driving in the next few days but after a few short drives, the ride is definitely more cushioned, however, as expected from Michelin, (and why I chose these over other OE tires) the steering feedback is still great and in curves and turns, it feels as solid and precise as ever. I started with 35psi cold pressures and I will adjust if needed to best balance comfort and handling.

I have Eibach lowering springs and H&R sway bars to help ensure that no matter what tires I go with, handling is flat and precise.

I'm using OE RS Spyder wheels and felt good about that since the OE Cayenne wheels are 20x9 and 20x10.5. I was considering widening the rears from 20x10 to 20x11 or 11.5 but I am pretty happy with how the 305/40 is sitting on the 20x10.

​​​​​The rear wheels have plenty of clearance for the extra tire width, however there is a limit in the front with the upper wishbone knuckle. I mounted the front wheels with no spacer and they have free spinning clearance but only 5 or so mm. I felt better with a 10 mm spacer to account for tire flex from more aggressive driving.

Although I didn't necessarily need spacers in the back, I put them on initially to keep the setup more in balance with factory specs. From the rear, I prefer the "tucked wide tire" look of the rear without a spacer and may try that to experiment.

The speedometer is still one mph off from gps and it's actually more accurate since it's programmed to be below actual speed from the factory. Instead of being 2mph off, it's now 1mph off. This is compared to the 21" wheel diameter with is slightly smaller than the OE 20" diameter.

Which wheels are you going with?

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-15-2024 at 06:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
Llarry (07-28-2024), mark8 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 11:29 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
I did this just a couple of days ago. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N0 in the OE Cayenne fitment of 275/45/20 and 305/40/20. I went with these after using a two other smaller alternate sizes and Michelin PS4S. I typically run Summer tires but I've had a great experience with Pilot Sport 4 A/S on my other set of 21" wheels.

Aesthetically, the small bump in diameter and width was exactly what I was looking for. They close the wheel gap while complimenting the SUV-ness of the car very well vs. the smaller sidewalls on the 21" setups.

I can give more impressions of driving in the next few days but after a few short drives, the ride is definitely more cushioned, however, as expected from Michelin, (and why I chose these over other OE tires) the steering feedback is still great and in curves and turns, it feels as solid and precise as ever. I started with 35psi cold pressures and I will adjust if needed to best balance comfort and handling.

I have Eibach lowering springs and H&R sway bars to help ensure that no matter what tires I go with, handling is flat and precise.

I'm using OE RS Spyder wheels and felt good about that since the OE Cayenne wheels are 20x9 and 20x10.5. I was considering widening the rears from 20x10 to 20x11 or 11.5 but I am pretty happy with how the 305/40 is sitting on the 20x10.

​​​​​The rear wheels have plenty of clearance for the extra tire width, however there is a limit in the front with the upper wishbone knuckle. I mounted the front wheels with no spacer and they have free spinning clearance but only 5 or so mm. I felt better with a 10 mm spacer to account for tire flex from more aggressive driving.

Although I didn't necessarily need spacers in the back, I put them on initially to keep the setup more in balance with factory specs. From the rear, I prefer the "tucked wide tire" look of the rear without a spacer and may try that to experiment.

The speedometer is still one mph off from gps and it's actually more accurate since it's programmed to be below actual speed from the factory. Instead of being 2mph off, it's now 1mph off. This is compared to the 21" wheel diameter with is slightly smaller than the OE 20" diameter.

I'm really liking the look you achieved, and the rear tires appear to sit just right. I'm currently considering a set of Vossen HF5 for the Macan S and I'll move the factory wheels from the S to the base Macan. How's the ride so far......Phil
Old 07-18-2024, 05:21 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

I'm really liking the look you achieved, and the rear tires appear to sit just right. I'm currently considering a set of Vossen HF5 for the Macan S and I'll move the factory wheels from the S to the base Macan. How's the ride so far......Phil
Thank you, I almost gave up on these wheels but these tires did the trick to make this set as desirable to use as my 21" set.

I'd be curious to see how these tires look on the Vossen's which have a more modern look than the Spyders. What color are you considering to pair with Papaya?

I am trying one more test to remove the 10mm rear spacers and use a 5mm spacer up front. It may look better, it may not, but I like to test out all options. I think the rear can come in a bit to be more OEM, but up to personal preference. Photos are below of the current rear spread.

The ride is great, and I am loving the tires. I actually like the traditional sidewall without the newer soft-touch velvet areas found on the PS4. I've always found it difficult to balance the right amount of tire shine on that area and a general fear of messing that up.

The ride is super comfortable and I haven't felt the need yet to adjust tire pressures. I am seeing more traction from a stop when turning into traffic but I did notice some tire squeal when turning at speed but only in highly aggressive tighter turning maneuvers, like a left turn in an intersection at high speed. This is comparing to PS4S and PS4 SUV. I am hoping this is just a factor during the break-in of these tires but again, only at much higher speeds and aggressive maneuvers. In normal or sporty driving, they are completely capable.

This may be a stretch, but I like how the bigger tire but low wheel gap somewhat channels the past looks of the 911 that I am a big fan of:

Here's the only other photos of this tire size that I found, and what persuaded me to try this out, red wheels and all. Those are 275/45 on 20x10 all around, so the sidewall is more stretched. Not a bad look but I didn't want the rear tires looking too skinny.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/a...-tires.147722/

Current rear setup:

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-18-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

What color are you considering to pair with Papaya?
I've never been a huge fan of black wheels but, the Papaya is screaming for gloss black. I've ordered some smoked side markers (even though the "orange peel" doesn't look bad on Papaya) and received my Zunsport grills today. So, with these additional dark accents the gloss black should play well. I'll make a final decision after the side markers arrive and get installed.......Phil
Old 07-27-2024, 06:26 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

I've never been a huge fan of black wheels but, the Papaya is screaming for gloss black. I've ordered some smoked side markers (even though the "orange peel" doesn't look bad on Papaya) and received my Zunsport grills today. So, with these additional dark accents the gloss black should play well. I'll make a final decision after the side markers arrive and get installed.......Phil
That could look great, you can go either dark or light with Papaya.

I upped the tire pressures to 37/38 and I am liking these tires even more. More response and stiffness in turns without much decrease in ride quality.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:56 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

How's the mileage with more road resistance? One other question: any concerns about exceeding the recommended width of wider tires? You mention a cushioned ride. I was thinking more along the lines of a balooning effect.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:07 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
How's the mileage with more road resistance? One other question: any concerns about exceeding the recommended width of wider tires? You mention a cushioned ride. I was thinking more along the lines of a balooning effect.
I haven't noticed a difference in mileage. Due to the larger diameter, RPMs are lower at a given speed compared to the OE size and that must be offsetting any losses due to road resistance.

In terms of width, the OE 20" Cayenne wheel up front is 9" wide, same as what I'm running with the 275/45, and the rear on the Cayenne is slightly larger at 10.5" compared to my 10", which is still within the recommended range for a 305/40 tire. I mentioned the 10 mm spacer up front to help clear the upper wishbone, plus it looks much better with them on the rears also.
​​​​​
I'm not sure what a ballooning effect is, but due to the stiffer sidewall construction and load rating of these specific tires paired with appropriate tire pressures, they feel wonderful in both performance driving and driving on less-than-perfect surfaces. I switch often with my 21-in set and I'll get a better back-to-back comparison once I make the switch back. I'm liking these so much though, that it may be a while.

Old 07-27-2024, 12:45 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I haven't noticed a difference in mileage. Due to the larger diameter, RPMs are lower at a given speed compared to the OE size and that must be offsetting any losses due to road resistance.

In terms of width, the OE 20" Cayenne wheel up front is 9" wide, same as what I'm running with the 275/45, and the rear on the Cayenne is slightly larger at 10.5" compared to my 10", which is still within the recommended range for a 305/40 tire. I mentioned the 10 mm spacer up front to help clear the upper wishbone, plus it looks much better with them on the rears also.
​​​​​
I'm not sure what a ballooning effect is, but due to the stiffer sidewall construction and load rating of these specific tires paired with appropriate tire pressures, they feel wonderful in both performance driving and driving on less-than-perfect surfaces. I switch often with my 21-in set and I'll get a better back-to-back comparison once I make the switch back. I'm liking these so much though, that it may be a while.
If you read the recommended tire sizes for a 10” wide rim, you are exceeding the limit. But hey. If you’re happy that’s all that counts. Right?
Old 07-27-2024, 02:03 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

If you read the recommended tire sizes for a 10” wide rim, you are exceeding the limit. But hey. If you’re happy that’s all that counts. Right?
I am reading 10-12" from TireRack. I have run 305s on 10" wheels for many years on other vehicles and agree with their recommendations.

Old 07-27-2024, 02:32 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I am reading 10-12" from TireRack. I have run 305s on 10" wheels for many years on other vehicles and agree with their recommendations.

I stand corrected. Last time I checked a few years ago it was suggested to not run this size on a 10” rim. Makes me wonder about the next set of tires.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:57 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

I stand corrected. Last time I checked a few years ago it was suggested to not run this size on a 10” rim. Makes me wonder about the next set of tires.
As long as the sidewall is large enough, it will accommodate. For example, a 305/35 and 305/40 are recommended on a 10" wheel but a 305/30 and below, it goes up to 10.5". The smaller sidewall may prevent the seat the bead needs but once you have some meat on the sidewall, it's fine again.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:53 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

That could look great, you can go either dark or light with Papaya.

I upped the tire pressures to 37/38 and I am liking these tires even more. More response and stiffness in turns without much decrease in ride quality.
Do you know the offset of the wheels? I'm looking at +25 up front and +25 or +30 on a 10.5 wheel in the rear......Phil
Old 07-28-2024, 06:06 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Do you know the offset of the wheels? I'm looking at +25 up front and +25 or +30 on a 10.5 wheel in the rear......Phil
Mine are OE, so they are +26 up front and +19 in the rear. With the 10mm spacer, effectively +16 and +9.

I would go with the +25 option (or lower) vs. +30.
Old 07-28-2024, 03:27 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Mine are OE, so they are +26 up front and +19 in the rear. With the 10mm spacer, effectively +16 and +9.

I would go with the +25 option (or lower) vs. +30.
Yeah, that's my plan...Phil

Quick Reply: Tire Sizing