Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Brake Dust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 04:55 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Knowing then what I know now I’d go with ceramic brakes every time.
Old 07-03-2024, 09:54 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I remember reading threads in the 911 forums where fellas would spring for the $8+K ceramic brakes just to avoid the dust. Me, I'd rather just clean the wheels and spend the $8K on something else.

BMW and MB were just as bad as Porsche... BMW has found a good compromise and I don't do MB any more... but it's always a trade-off. If you want superior braking performance, then you're going to get some dust. If you want clean wheels, then you're not going to get the initial bite and fade resistance.

The Macan is the wife's car, and I want it to have the best braking experience possible. I'll put up with some dirt (I do all of the vehicle maintenance) so that she's safe.
$10K on my 911, and I respectfully disagree.
Plenty of initial bite, fade resistance, and am told by the dealer my 911 PCCB rotors will last the life of the car.
On my Macan, the brakes it came with are PSCB. Same no dust, but no box to check or extra $.
It's a 2 ton SUV, so not the same stopping as my 911, but good enough.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:41 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
On my Macan, the brakes it came with are PSCB. Same no dust
Hey, mine has that option too, but wondering what exactly that is. Do you know what exactly that is? Porsche doesn't exactly say. Sounds like just a coating, and if so, does it eventually wear out? And more importantly, most of the dust comes from the pads. What kind of pads do we have? Do you know? I've only driven mine for about 70 miles so far, and the brakes are definitely dusting more than I expected, but nothing crazy. Thank you. I also thought that option included the huge calipers, but maybe they're standard. Take care.
Old 07-04-2024, 08:25 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
$10K on my 911, and I respectfully disagree.
Plenty of initial bite, fade resistance, and am told by the dealer my 911 PCCB rotors will last the life of the car.
On my Macan, the brakes it came with are PSCB. Same no dust, but no box to check or extra $.
It's a 2 ton SUV, so not the same stopping as my 911, but good enough.
Sorry, my bad, I wasn't clear. I meant that low dust conventional pads do not perform as well as the dusty OE pads. PCCB are another story entirely, and they perform very well as well as having nearly no dust. But, expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 10:06 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Yes, pads are a different story.
Thanks to occasional spirited canyon carving in my 993, I went through rotors about every 45K miles.
I have never replaced PCCB rotors on my 997.1TT, and probably never will in my lifetime.
PSCB on the Macan, too early to tell. About the same 80% DD, 20% canyon carving.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:16 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
I installed the hawk performance ceramic on the rear of my Macan Turbo and there is very little brake dust. I'm seriously considering replacing the fronts as well (currently Pagid) even though the front pads only have 10k miles on them.
Hawk HPS are great, but can get pretty squeaky. EBC Red Stuff are honestly a really nice pad. I had those on a Golf GTI and liked them a lot.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:09 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm running Stoptech rotors and Hawk HPS pads up front and can't or won't complain about brake dust. I wash the car weekly and don't use any special cleaners or process other than car wash soap and a few brushes. Dust means the brakes are working. Someone mentioned the rotors contribute to the dust, I don't think so or miniscule at most. Consider the sub millimeter wear of the rotors and I doubt there's any measurable dust. I you don't like dust, wash your car.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Question