Macan 2014-Current

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 11:32 AM
mark8
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Leather Care

I have yet to clean or treat the leather in my Macan (it doesn't need it just yet), but I wanted to get folks experience with this particular leather, which is very soft and has a nice matte finish. I want to keep it that way while also being able to clean and condition it. On past vehicles I have used every product under the sun. I welcome thoughts on how folks are caring for their Porsche leather. Here are my experiences with past products:
  1. Griots:
    • Detailer -- excellent neutral cleaner. This will probably be my go to, unless I hear about something new to try.
    • Conditioner -- works well, but has the typical fake leather smell, so it's a pass for me.
  2. Lexol: I like the smell of their products, but it seems to dry out the leather after repeated use, so again, a pass.
  3. Zaino: Super strong fake leather smell, so definitely a pass.
  4. Leatherique:
    • Conditioner: Very neutral smell, but also a very heavy oil. I'm hesitant to put this on the perforated Porsche leather, although if you have a stain you need to "lift" out of leather, this is your product...
    • Cleaner: the cleaner is a nice product that has done a great job for me in other vehicles, again, I'm worried it might also be too heavy for the job in this vehicle, but I might try it at some point
  5. Leather Honey: I have used these products in a similar way to Leatherique (condition first, then clean). They work well, but again, on perforated leather I want to be cautious.
Does Porsche have their own line of products? what have folks tried that maintains the soft/matte finish of the leather? Unscented would be preferred, but if it does have a scent, ideally it should be something that stays close to the "from the factory" scent.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!
Old 05-03-2024, 11:45 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Leatherique fan for all my Porsches past few decades. I put on a rubber glove and apply by hand.

Have Griot's wipes for road trips when Wife lathers sunscreen on her arms.
The following users liked this post:
mark8 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Colourlock.

Made in Germany. All kinds of leather care and leather repair products.

https://www.colourlock.com/?gad_sour...UaAqHfEALw_wcB

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
mark8 (05-03-2024), Penstamin (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Ironman88, if I see you I'll give you a wave.
Ironman88 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Ironman88, if I see you I'll give you a wave.
I'll keep an eye out for that Ruby Red Turbo!
Terry Adams (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:38 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Modern automotive leather is polymer coated and impervious to liquids including cleaners and conditioners.

A cotton terry cloth dampened with tap water is the way to go.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:50 PM
mark8
Instructor

Originally Posted by chassis
Modern automotive leather is polymer coated and impervious to liquids including cleaners and conditioners.

I know this is the case, but honestly I think it still needs more than superficial care. even the coated leather starts to dry out and become tougher over time. That's my main goal is to stay on top of moisture level within the leather. I think this is especially true for perforated leather...
Old 05-03-2024, 05:56 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8
I know this is the case, but honestly I think it still needs more than superficial care. even the coated leather starts to dry out and become tougher over time. That's my main goal is to stay on top of moisture level within the leather. I think this is especially true for perforated leather...
I typically use a damp microfiber but once in a while I use a microfiber damp with leftover solution of DIY Detail Rinseless Wash for an interior wipedown. For a twice-per-year moisture step (even though I know its not needed on a new car) I like Zaino Leather In a Bottle. It is strong but dosent give me a headache like other leather-scented conditioners.

The manual is very vague vs. other manuals which had specific product recommendations:

Cleaning and caring for the vehicle interior

Leather care

NOTE

The leather may become damaged by the use of improper cleaning agents and care products, and by inappropriate treatment.
  • Do not use aggressive cleaners or hard cleaning objects.
  • Make sure that perforated leather does not get wet on its reverse side.
  • Remove water drops from the leather immediately.
To ensure proper cleaning and care of your vehicle, please observe the following:
  • Clean all types of leather regularly to remove fine dust using a soft, white woolen cloth, or a commercially available microfiber cloth.
  • Remove heavy dirt (no water or moisture stains) with a leather cleaning agent. Read the instructions for use on the containers.
  • Porsche recommends car care products from Porsche Tequipment.
  • Treat cleaned leather only with a leather care product.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 05-03-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:49 PM
mark8
Instructor

Cool, sounds like the key is "go easy" I'll probably start with just a damp microfiber cloth, sprayed with Griot's interior detailer, diluted, as needed and see how things go. If I am sending that there is any drying, I might do a lightweight conditioner, but I think I'll resist the urge to go as far as leatherique on this particular vehicle.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:50 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Chassis - I do follow your recommendations and they are virtually always spot on.

In this case - your recommendation is 100% wrong.

chassis (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:01 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Cool, sounds like the key is "go easy" I'll probably start with just a damp microfiber cloth, sprayed with Griot's interior detailer, diluted, as needed and see how things go. If I am sending that there is any drying, I might do a lightweight conditioner, but I think I'll resist the urge to go as far as leatherique on this particular vehicle.
MB specifically recommends against synthetic (microfiber) on MB-Tex which is vinyl. Reason is microfiber (polyester) is harder than vinyl and nylon, or nearly identical hardness. Over time the microfiber will dull the surface finish of vinyl and abrade nylon upholstery stitching.

Using MB’s approach towards leather, I would avoid microfiber and use rather cotton terry. Why chance dulling the leather surface and abrading seat stitching assuming the car in question is owned long term. For a lease-and-dump it doesn’t matter.

Last edited by chassis; 05-03-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:18 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

MB specifically recommends against synthetic (microfiber) on MB-Tex which is vinyl. Reason is microfiber (polyester) is harder than vinyl and nylon, or nearly identical hardness. Over time the microfiber will dull the surface finish of vinyl and abrade nylon upholstery stitching.

Using MB’s approach towards leather, I would avoid microfiber and use rather cotton terry. Why chance dulling the leather surface and abrading seat stitching assuming the car in question is owned long term. For a lease-and-dump it doesn’t matter.
Interesting, does this account for a microfiber towel that is soaked and damp with water/a light cleaning agent?
Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

I forgot about a good sample in my arsenal, Blackfire Interior Protectant. I would actually use this over the Zaino next time, I keep forgetting about it. It does have a light smell on the fruit side that I don't care for but it doesn't linger once applied.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:02 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
Interesting, does this account for a microfiber towel that is soaked and damp with water/a light cleaning agent?
Polyester is polyester, leather is leather and nylon is nylon. The (lack of) fiber hardness differential , the principle in operation here, is the same.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:33 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Polyester is polyester, leather is leather and nylon is nylon. The (lack of) fiber hardness differential , the principle in operation here, is the same.
But the liquid acts as a buffer between the materials, just as a wet cloth or even paper towel is less abrasive on clear coat than a dry one.

Also, microfiber cloths have different ratios of materials and are not all polyester. The count would typically go down as quality and price goes up.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 05-03-2024 at 08:35 PM.
chassis (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Leather Care