Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Security: Is it possible to prevent rear seats from folding down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 02:36 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Security: Is it possible to prevent rear seats from folding down?

The Macan doesn't have a locked trunk area like a sedan does, but if it were possible to lock the rear seats then the rear cargo area could be fairly secure so long as the privacy panel is used. That privacy panel seems pretty tough, and can't be lifted up if the rear hatch is closed, even if the glass it broken. I think it would take some work to get through it and might stand up to a fast smash & grab.

I'd love to feel more comfortable putting items back there with less concern about smash & grab theft, but the seats seem to be the weak spot. Anyone have a solution to keep the rear seats locked upright?
Old 04-27-2024, 10:59 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I suppose one could attach a ratchet strap to the LATCH point and the other end to the rearmost tie down and apply minimal tension.

Last edited by jbx2; 04-28-2024 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Proof of concept pic
The following users liked this post:
WillinEvergreen (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:29 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
The Macan doesn't have a locked trunk area like a sedan does, but if it were possible to lock the rear seats then the rear cargo area could be fairly secure so long as the privacy panel is used. That privacy panel seems pretty tough, and can't be lifted up if the rear hatch is closed, even if the glass it broken. I think it would take some work to get through it and might stand up to a fast smash & grab.

I'd love to feel more comfortable putting items back there with less concern about smash & grab theft, but the seats seem to be the weak spot. Anyone have a solution to keep the rear seats locked upright?
What is it you are trying to hide?
Old 04-29-2024, 10:14 AM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jbx2
I suppose one could attach a ratchet strap to the LATCH point and the other end to the rearmost tie down and apply minimal tension.

Well that looks like a pretty effective method right there!
Old 05-04-2024, 09:54 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2

Asked the same question some time back, as Porsche did not have the foresight to put key locks on the rear seat latches (as I have had in some BMWs in the past). My concern was the transport of firearms in CA, where they must be located in a lockable container if transporting to and from the range, for example. Now I have to put all firearms in their own lockable container within the trunk.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:54 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 916 Posts

In short, no.

Quick Reply: Security: Is it possible to prevent rear seats from folding down?