Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Buzzing noise from under 2018 GTS with 60k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:03 PM
Cat daddy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise from under 2018 GTS with 60k miles.

Hi everyone.. looking for assistance in troubleshooting this issue I'm having in a 2018 macan GTS. This video is taken with the windows up, in normal driving mode. The buzzing can generally only be heard when gently accelerating in 7th gear and the transmission downshifts to 6th. I can recreate the sound with manual downshifting which I am doing in the video. Any assistance is appreciated. ETA. The bussing in the video is a lower tone than what I hear in person, it has maybe a bit of a tangy vibe to it. I also feel a slight grab/ bump in the seat when the sound stops. Wondering if this is a transfer case issue, it has an updated replacement completed in 2020. I’m in the process of purchasing this vehicle and spam wondering if it is something that can be dealt with under warranty or should I run far away?. Thank you
Old 04-22-2024, 12:32 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I wonder if it could be a heat shield for the exhaust / catalytic converter that is vibrating?

The following users liked this post:
dml (04-26-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 12:45 PM
Cat daddy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I wonder if it could be a heat shield for the exhaust / catalytic converter that is vibrating?
Not sure. Would I feel the heat shield vibrating in my seat or feel a slight bump when the sound disappears? I know it does sound heat shield related, but to recreate the sound is so specific and doesn’t do it with the car sitting still and working through engine rpm’s.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:05 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat daddy
Not sure. Would I feel the heat shield vibrating in my seat or feel a slight bump when the sound disappears? I know it does sound heat shield related, but to recreate the sound is so specific and doesn’t do it with the car sitting still and working through engine rpm’s.
Well - it's either going to be something really simple (such as a heat shield) or the like - or it's going to be something much more serious. And to get to the bottom of it, it's going to take a hand-on person with specific repair experience with a Macan. If you don't have access to someone like that - it's then a roll of the dice as to what's going on. In that instance, I would probably pass on the car.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:00 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

If you're seriously considering buying this car, make the sale conditional on the seller fixing the issue. You didn't mention if it is a private sale or a dealer, either Porsche or other, but better to have the seller take care of it.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:53 AM
jayson
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 142 Posts

Do you also feel the buzzing in the steering wheel? Or just hear it. Regardless I would not buy this car, go for a newer model where all the gremlins were worked out.

Last edited by jayson; 04-23-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:43 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine is an '18 GTS. Never heard this sound. I doubt it's a heat shield since you would surely hear it when changing between other gears. This sounds like something in the transmission not switching properly and friction between some parts in there between these gears. Seller must know there is an issue. I would run from this one as fast as I could.

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise from under 2018 GTS with 60k miles.