Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Current Macan owners not interested in a Macan EV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 10:29 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DR_DFW
what is so bad about BMW??
I owned an X3 M40i. No comparison to a Macan S or esp the GTS. Controls poorly thought out; lacks the clean simplicity of the Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
WasabiPeas (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 10:25 AM
Kodabear
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I owned an X3 M40i. No comparison to a Macan S or esp the GTS. Controls poorly thought out; lacks the clean simplicity of the Porsche.
Partly disagree. The controls are fine on the M40i with minimal learning curve and the idrive controller works great which keep finger prints off the screen.

I would debate how superior the S and GTS really are vs a LCI M40i. The LCI M40i is one of the best SAV’s that BMW offers today. It’s a beast in sheep’s clothing for $65K. The M40i power train is amazing. You don’t need a peddle commander or Sport mode to feel the performance. Comfort mode is the M40i feel like Sport in the Macan S. It’s really very noticeable and for the life of me I don’t know why Porsche hasn’t rectified this huge Macan S/GTS shortcoming.

Tech is also better in the M40i and for $65K you get full leather with contrasting stitching that is easily as nice as a full leather Macan S/GTS that cost $5K+ to option.

Where the Macan tromps on the X3 is is in the handling/suspension department and by a wide margin.

Looks are subjective.

There are pros and cons on both sides but I disagree that Macan is “far” superior.

Last edited by Kodabear; 04-22-2024 at 12:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kodabear:
DR_DFW (04-22-2024), mark8 (06-01-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:59 PM
DR_DFW
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
Have you seen one lately?
I just traded my G80 for the Macan and the G80 was a great machine. The looks are subjective.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:04 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I’m not buying an EV anytime soon. I know I know, never say never but probably never, unless something really catches my interest! I enjoy the sound and feel of ICE; it’s all personal taste. We all know that a Plaid can smoke just about every supercar (stock) to 160mph in a straight line but I don’t want one as I will highly likely be bored with it after a month. Oh, and the weight!
As for the M40i (M-Lite) vs. Macan GTS, I personally will choose the Mac every time and I’m not a die hard P-car loyalist. I remember a few Rennlist members were bashing my decision for ditching my 911 for an R8 and I won’t be that guy. At the end of the day, to each his own.
The Bimmer has better tech but the Porsche has the edge in “overall” driving characteristics. I cross shopped the X3M before purchasing the GTS. X3M is very fast in a straight line but the harsh ride and driving characteristics weren’t very impressive to me. As for the M-Lite models, I have no interest. I love my G80 Comp xDrive (yes, I like the Angry Birds face) but I will get rid of it before the warranty expires and get back into a 911. The upcoming hybrid 911TT/TTS remains to be seen and I will withhold my opinion. That’s a whole new can of worms.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-22-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:06 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Today came journalist video road tests. Based on the consistent highly favorable reviews, it is either a fantastic machine or they all had the same spiked cool-aid.

On YouTube search "macan ev road test" - there are some very credible reviews.

I'll drive one If a dealer lets me but see little chance I'll give up my "18 Turbo.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:46 AM
chris956
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It weighs as much as the moon which is why it needs enormous power. The tyres will be the weak point if continually driven enthusiastically which I doubt will happen because it will harm the precious range. Let alone putting the heated seats on !!
New ICE Macan on order to replace our existing 's' ....... You can keep the BEV and park them all with the unwanted Taycans in a year or 2.
The following users liked this post:
macanori (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 05:51 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New to Macans but I don't have any interest in a new EV model. I think it look fine, probably drives fine. $80k for the the base model is a stretch and to get a few options you have to pay $100k. An SUV/Crossover is just a grocery getter/road trip car for me and not what I consider fun enough to spend that kind of money on. It is also massively heavy. If they depreciate like the current models you will pick one up for $60k with low miles in a couple years, but that assumes they sell in the numbers they do now, which at 33% higher entry cost, I doubt the sales figures will hold up. Look at how sales of the Taycan have slumped.

The other thing is, people who have tended to spend money on enthusiast cars also tend to like the uniqueness of different cars. Things like flat six engine noise. The feel and rumble when you rev an engine. Sure Porsche has a different level of refinement and chasis magic other automakers don't have, but when everything has a silent electric motor and can all make huge power, the difference between an average product and a premium product shrinks. Adding a ton to the sticker price does not help much. It gives additional "snob appeal" and prestige of rarity I suppose, but then you need to keep hiking the price to have the same income stream from falling sales. I would have asked owners and prospective buyers what they want and I think you would get a different answer than if you asked Klaus Schwab, which might be the case here.

Had they asked me, maybe a freshened design inside and out but evolutionary, reduce some weight as they are heavy for not that large of a CUV, and a bit better gas mileage from the updating instead of it all going to more power. Like it or not, the BMW B58 in the X3 is probably one of the best engines ever made and beats the current Audi sixes in the Macan in power, refinement, fuel economy, and reliability. The engine is top notch save for some plastic parts that fail after a decade. And the ZF 8 speed is better than the audi unit in the Macan. Get on that level or close to it. An X3 M40 will get to sixty in 4.2 and can get 34 at a steady 75mph cruise. That is way better than low twenties. Part of it is the Macan engine, part is the wonky seven speed. The interior of the X3 sucks, but the all new model comes out this fall. Interested to see what they accomplish.

Last edited by jwalz1; 04-24-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:33 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

No interest in the EV, but the Macan ICE is starting to bore me, especially the fake PDK.
I'll also think about the new X3.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:08 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm interested but with Tacans trading at near 50% of MSRP with sub 10K miles on them I'll probably get one of those until the EV pricing/depreciation thing works itself out.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:40 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nemo06
No interest in the EV, but the Macan ICE is starting to bore me, especially the fake PDK.
I'll also think about the new X3.
I'm curious about which Macan you have that is boring you, and why? I also don't understand what you mean by fake PDK.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:43 AM
jwalz1
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevil
I also don't understand what you mean by fake PDK.
Isn't the Macan transmission an off-the shelf transmission from Audi from the Q5? I don't think it was made by Porsche, and frankly, I hate the tuning. Way too slow to kick down, and upshifts too soon to try to get better, what Porsche wants to call "gas mileage" in this thing. In the 2020 S, it is the weak spot in the whole car.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalz1
Isn't the Macan transmission an off-the shelf transmission from Audi from the Q5? I don't think it was made by Porsche, and frankly, I hate the tuning. Way too slow to kick down, and upshifts too soon to try to get better, what Porsche wants to call "gas mileage" in this thing. In the 2020 S, it is the weak spot in the whole car.
Nope, it's Porsche's PDK. As for the ECU tuning, try the Sport or if you have Sport Chrono, Sport + setting. Alternatively, step harder on the gas pedal. If that doesn't do it for you get a tune.

Based on the road tests, if what you judge cars by is tip-in acceleration, you will love the new EV.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 04-25-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:34 PM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Nope, it's Porsche's PDK. As for the ECU tuning, try the Sport or if you have Sport Chrono, Sport + setting. Alternatively, step harder on the gas pedal. If that doesn't do it for you get a tune.

Based on the road tests, if what you judge cars by is tip-in acceleration, you will love the new EV.
Nope, it is the old DSG Volkswagen
Old 04-25-2024, 03:11 PM
Str8Piped
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2022 Macan GTS and the last thing I would ever buy is an electric vehicle. Doesn't matter what vehicle or brand.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:54 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Nope, it's Porsche's PDK. As for the ECU tuning, try the Sport or if you have Sport Chrono, Sport + setting..
No sport chrono. It is dog slow, and you have to mash and hold to get it to kick down. Was almost dangerous a couple times. The Sport helps, but I don't drive with it most of the time, and then if you have to make a move and mash it, it will go a bit quicker and fail to upshift and just hold annoyingly loud high rpm unless I hit the up paddle. It blows. I wonder if disconnecting the battery will allow it to "relearn" driving style. I bought it used recently. I drive fairly sedately, but when I need to punch it, I punch it.

A tune when warranty expires.

Quick Reply: Current Macan owners not interested in a Macan EV?