What is special about Porsche Headlights that it does like PPF’d

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 12:58 PM
123blackjack
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is special about Porsche Headlights that it does like PPF’d

Hi,
We all know the recommendation or warning from Porsche to not have any protection film or PPF on headlights and the possibility of voiding the warranty.

Isn’t applicable even for other make and models such as Volkswagen vehicles or BMWs. I see this concern only from Porsche while i am expecting this atleast from VW Family of vehicles
Old 04-17-2024, 05:02 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

I PPFed my headlights on 911 and Macan so far no issue on either cars but we suppose to not have any PPF on the headlights??? I didnt know that.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:42 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Apparently, there is a coating on the lens surface. If, for some reason the PPF must be removed this coating may be pulled off with it. Porsche will not warranty replacement of this coating which actually requires a new headlight assembly (read=$$$). In any case, this does not affect the warranty on any other part of the car.
The following users liked this post:
isugoo (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:36 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
I PPFed my headlights on 911 and Macan so far no issue on either cars but we suppose to not have any PPF on the headlights??? I didnt know that.
Porsche's official response, when I asked them about this specifically last year, was any PPF coating applied to the headlights constitutes a "modification", and therefore voids the warranty. If you don't have the seperate "consumables" warranty that covers the headlights, then I would not worry about it since they will probably not cover any road damage in any case (and the PPF may be better protection). I did pay for the consumables Porsche warranty (which also covers brake rotors and a few other items) so I have to heed the no PPF warnings.
isugoo (04-18-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 09:38 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Apparently, there is a coating on the lens surface. If, for some reason the PPF must be removed this coating may be pulled off with it. Porsche will not warranty replacement of this coating which actually requires a new headlight assembly (read=$$$). In any case, this does not affect the warranty on any other part of the car.
This.

I still PPF them. My thought is they get wrecked if not PPF'd anyway so you end with the same result, and with PPF at least they don't get all pitted. The UV coating that MAY get pulled off if you remove PPF offers zero protection from pitting.

Also my detailer has told me he has had the coating come off with removal on a Porsche headlight, he was able to easily polish the headlight back to gloss and then put new PPF over it.
rasetsu (05-03-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 06:03 AM
Tim Cooper
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 123blackjack
Hi,
We all know the recommendation or warning from Porsche to not have any protection film or PPF on headlights and the possibility of voiding the warranty.

Isn’t applicable even for other make and models such as Volkswagen vehicles or BMWs. I see this concern only from Porsche while i am expecting this atleast from VW Family of vehicles
I didn't know but no film on my 996 so i spent an afternoon last winter refurbing them. Even if they only last another 10 years that won't be too bad.

Had to do my Suzuki headlights a bit earlier but that does a lot if off road stuff.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:01 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Is it possible that when Porsche was still running xenon bulbs the surface got too hot? Now witht he advent of LEDs running cooler it's not an issue in recent years. Just asking....
Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Is it possible that when Porsche was still running xenon bulbs the surface got too hot? Now witht he advent of LEDs running cooler it's not an issue in recent years. Just asking....
Porsche's response to my inquiry was wrt LED lamps. So I doubt if heat has a lot to do with it (although LED lamps can get warm too).
Old 04-19-2024, 07:11 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Full front PPF including headlights and windshield for 5+ years with zero issues. I have replaced the windshield protection once due to wear and tear which I anticipated. I also have PPF on my Cayman headlights with no problems.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:38 PM
engin_ear
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due to spider cracks on my 2017, I had to sand off the ENTIRE protective coating on both headlights anyway, then I repolished them out. I used vViVID PPF over them.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:00 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

Good point and good question. I don't believe Porsche headlight lenses are somehow more special than those from every other manufacturer. I suspect it's just legal response to some rash of customer complaints who had PPF removal that took some of the coating with it and then tried to pass the issue onto Porsche.

The logic of all the responses above is why I PPF'd mine. I have PPF on the headlights of both of my Porsches for a total of 13 years and counting with no issues due to the PPF being on there. I'm sure they are out there but I have personally not seen or heard of anyone having delamination or crazing issues with PPF'd headlights. The only ones who have those issues experienced it without PPF on headlights.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:50 PM
einstuck
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbx2
Full front PPF including headlights and windshield for 5+ years with zero issues.
Dang. I didn't realize you could PPF the whole windshield. I must do this.

Quick Reply: What is special about Porsche Headlights that it does like PPF’d