Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Vibration at high speeds 70+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 11:33 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought my 911 Carrera S from a BMW dealer. Had them put it up on a lift for my visual inspection. I noticed some alloy rim damage which they repaired. Car fax was comepletely clean. Less than 100 mi later my water pump was leaving purple puddles under the car and lets go while loading on the flat bed to Porsche. Now it was suspicious to me that a water pump would have no signs of leakage and yet fail 100 mi later? I suspect the BMW dealer wiped down the rear of the motor prior to my inspection but I wil never be able to prove it.

So you can do all the due dillegence you like but if the dealer is crooked, you still may ending up paying for repairs you did not anticipate.
The following users liked this post:
thisischoi (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 09:09 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I bought my 911 Carrera S from a BMW dealer. Had them put it up on a lift for my visual inspection. I noticed some alloy rim damage which they repaired. Car fax was comepletely clean. Less than 100 mi later my water pump was leaving purple puddles under the car and lets go while loading on the flat bed to Porsche. Now it was suspicious to me that a water pump would have no signs of leakage and yet fail 100 mi later? I suspect the BMW dealer wiped down the rear of the motor prior to my inspection but I wil never be able to prove it.

So you can do all the due diligence you like but if the dealer is crooked, you still may ending up paying for repairs you did not anticipate.

Water pump failure is a known issue with late model 911s. If you had done a "visual inspection" prior to purchase, you would have seen the pink residue presenting itself at the back of the motor. It would be very obvious. Presuming the pink residue was not present, it's not out of the question that the pump was failing and had not yet shown signs of failure. You are probably aware by now that Porsche will replace the water pump and provide an extended warranty at no cost to you.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:50 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Water pump failure is a known issue with late model 911s. If you had done a "visual inspection" prior to purchase, you would have seen the pink residue presenting itself at the back of the motor. It would be very obvious. Presuming the pink residue was not present, it's not out of the question that the pump was failing and had not yet shown signs of failure. You are probably aware by now that Porsche will replace the water pump and provide an extended warranty at no cost to you.
What is it called when you have the car placed up on a lift to view the undercarrige? I think that is a visual inspection. There was no pink residue or signs of water pump leakage, which may also be the case if the rear was flushed with water and wiped down before my inspection.

The point is not what Porsche will do warranty wise, for which I had no complaints. Point is I was sold an expensive 100K car with a defective water pump and no disclosure of such before the sale, and that evidence of this condition may have been deliberately covered up.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:02 AM
thisischoi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

At the end of the day, unless you’re a trained professional, you can and will miss things. Tires in my case are more apparent which is a bit embarrassing on my part but it is what it is. I think the point is that dealerships want to make a quick sale and choose not to be as transparent as we would like them to be. It’s the way of the world.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:06 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Point is I was sold an expensive 100K car with a defective water pump and no disclosure of such before the sale, and that evidence of this condition may have been deliberately covered up.
You may be right. However, the evidence of a failing water pump may not have been evident at the time of sale. You know, things can happen within 100 miles.
BTW, your Porsche did come with a warranty, didn't it? Just sayin...

Quick Reply: Vibration at high speeds 70+ MPH