Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Polishing Center Console Trim (Facelift Car)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 06:46 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Polishing Center Console Trim (Facelift Car)

Double whammy here: had the wife’s ‘22 S at the dealer this week to fix a few things. Had a ‘24 S as a loaner. Before returning it, I vacuumed it using a Shop-Vac and somehow the plastic nozzle scratched the center console trim (possibly a bit of grit embedded in the plastic?). Now the dealer is talking about making me pay to replace it (for $3500).

In addition, my wife’s console is also a bit scratched. Has anyone tried polishing this? I think it’s actually glass, so not sure how well a Meguiars plastic polish will work.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:41 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I believe it is an acrylic or polycarbonate material. If it was glass, most likely it would never have scratched so easily to begin with.

It most likely could be polished out (depending on how deep it is into the material.) However, I think it would need to be wet sanded first (most likely with 1500 followed by 3000G - feathered outward. Then polished with two grades of polish (one to polish out the sanding marks followed by an ultra-fine polish (Rupes Uno Pure is one.)

It will take someone with some skill to fix it.

I polished out all of the various materials in my Cayenne. Time consuming...

The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-30-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 03:04 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Double whammy here: had the wife’s ‘22 S at the dealer this week to fix a few things. Had a ‘24 S as a loaner. Before returning it, I vacuumed it using a Shop-Vac and somehow the plastic nozzle scratched the center console trim (possibly a bit of grit embedded in the plastic?). Now the dealer is talking about making me pay to replace it (for $3500).

In addition, my wife’s console is also a bit scratched. Has anyone tried polishing this? I think it’s actually glass, so not sure how well a Meguiars plastic polish will work.

Reminds me to get those matt finish PPF covers for the center console. My local PPF application guy says he can do it for $180.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:16 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

So sad...

FYI, after I use my vehicles, I vacuum, blow, wash, blow then dry. Then the vehicles are covered.

For that part of the interior, I only blow then microfiber buff off the fingerprints. Still looks new.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:35 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

The vacuum I use on my interior is a hand held with a flip down brush for hard surfaces. That said, I never felt the need to vacuum the console, just a wipe down with a microfiber cloth and interior cleaner from Chemical Guys.
I did have PPF applied to the piano black surfaces after I bought it and some micro scratches were covered up by the material.

Quick Reply: Polishing Center Console Trim (Facelift Car)