Macan 2014-Current

PSA: Check your drain lines!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 12:38 AM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PSA: Check your drain lines!

Noticed a little condensation on the inside of the windows the next day after a big storm. Opened the rear side hatches and there was a water droplet on the sunroof drain line. Pulled the drain from the bottom and sure enough it was partially clogged. Cut a "V" shape into the bottom of the drain to open it up a bit and hopefully prevent any further issues!

Glad I caught it when I did before it became a major headache!
Old 03-11-2024, 08:43 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad that you caught that! If you read the Audi Q5 forums, the drainlines are very problematic. As I noted elsewhere, I had the dealership snip the duckbill ends of my rear drainlines off. The SA said it was a not uncommon request.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:50 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Do the drain lines get clogged as s result of extended parking/sitting outside of a garage or will "road dust" and rain from normal driving cause the issue?
Old 03-11-2024, 09:59 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

What do you suppose is the reason of the drain design to be pinched at the bottom. Water doesn't flow uphill, but it sure needs to flow down with these drain lines.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:15 AM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

This is a very old problem. My 2004 R32 had the same issue and I don't think it is VAG specific as other manufacturers use the same design. It seems the duckbill is intended to keep debris from being kicked up into the tube and preventing blockage. The issue is that this then presents the opposite problem when debris comes from above, which it inevitably does. Cutting off the duckbill seems to be the better way to go for most.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:10 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 265 Posts

If it fails and causes premature and catastrophic electrical failure, you have a real problem.

If it doesn't fail and the car lasts forever, the manufacturer has a real problem. Especially nowadays, as there are so many incentives to HODL to a good car.

Follow the money...
Old 03-13-2024, 09:52 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
What do you suppose is the reason of the drain design to be pinched at the bottom. Water doesn't flow uphill, but it sure needs to flow down with these drain lines.
It's a check valve. To prevent road splash and grime from backing up into the tube and blocking it (at the bottom). Blockage from tree droppings happens at or near the top of the car.

Quick Reply: PSA: Check your drain lines!