Notices
Macan 2014-Current

My thought on the new Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 04:23 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

I wanted a nimble utility vehicle and decided on a ‘22 Macan GTS. It took sometime to get a build allocation as I recall. The Macan GTS was going to be my DD. The 2.0L in the base Macan just doesn’t do it for me. I just like the GTS variants of P-cars, I guess. What I really wanted was a hot hatch, ie. RS6, but I didn’t want to wait for an allocation and also didn’t want to pay $120k+. I wish Audi would bring the RS4 or even the RS3 Sportback to the states! I digress. Anyways, I’d rather put that $$ towards a 992TTS/TT in the future.

I cross shopped the X3M and although it’s significantly faster in a straight line than the 434hp GTS, the overall feel and driving characteristics were subpar to the Porsche. Besides, I scratched that itch and bought a M3 Competition xDrive. I also test drove the Cayenne S (2.9L) and though it handled well for a SUV, it drove like a boat compared to the Macan GTS. I like that Porsche put the V8TT in the new Cayenne S. The 2.9L wasn’t quite enough in that SUV. JMHO. I do like the more luxurious and roomy interior of the Cayenne but that was not what I looking for. Having said that, I’m probably going to buy the new Cayenne S for my wife in a couple of years. After all, nothing really drives like a P-car and she has become a Porsche fan. The Macan truly drives like a Porsche, as it was designed to do. I can sense some semblance of 911 DNA in the Macan GTS. It is one of two cars that I will keep for a while. Ha ha…..I say that now, so says my wife!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-28-2024 at 05:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
chassis (02-28-2024), roule (03-11-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:42 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I also like the 20 second boost button although I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything, at least with the base engine. Ditto with the ionizer. I think if you're going to settle for a base you need to accept it for what it is, a nice SUV with very mild Porsche DNA.
The boost button brings the drive mode to Sport+ temporarily. You won't see any additional engine output from higher turbocharger boost but being in a lower gear and more agressive shift behavior, it will make it feel much faster, assuming you are not already in Sport+.

As far as "settling" for a base, you don't have to if you dont want to. There are plenty of fairly non-invasive mods that can drastically improve the performance without sacrificing much at all on OE reliability or comfort.

Quick Reply: My thought on the new Macan