Macan 2014-Current

Small dots on headlights of newer Macan with 3k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 12:12 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I'd be carefull with methanol. It definitely will craze some plastics, esp polycarbonates. I think IPA (isopropyl) is safer, even at 90% purity levels. If you can get away with 70%, that is even safer as the more water content the less the propensity to attack plastics.
You want to use 99.9% electronics grade to ensure no additional moisture remains after the alcohol flashes off. They do have an IPA at that level for the same purpose, I simply can't remember if I used the methanol or IPA, I had both in my Amazon history and I may have used the methanol for water injection instead lol.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 01-25-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:12 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I'd be carefull with methanol. It definitely will craze some plastics, esp polycarbonates. I think IPA (isopropyl) is safer, even at 90% purity levels. If you can get away with 70%, that is even safer as the more water content the less the propensity to attack plastics.
Originally Posted by Nashvegas
I would recommend you do not pour alcohol in your headlights. It will remove the chrome coating on the plastic inside of the light. That advice is better suited to 1980's e-codes...
I am in 100% agreement with the above comments.

Experimenting on a modern Porsche headlight could have very expensive consequences.

Old 01-25-2024, 12:30 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like I know exactly what to do - suck it up and leave the lights alone. Being PLDS+, I dread to think how expensive they are to replace should I screw it up!

Quick Reply: Small dots on headlights of newer Macan with 3k miles