Macan 2014-Current

I love the feeling of leather on my backside

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 02:13 AM
HaciendaMan
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I love the feeling of leather on my backside

So I want to take care of it, the leather in my Macan I'm talking about, I want to keep it nice and new and supple and without cracks for years to come but I need help finding a good leather conditioner. I found one on Amazon that has 25k sales and 4½ stars called Leather Honey but it looks like it makes the leather shiny. That's great for leather boots and leather sofas etc.
I tried to use the search feature here but to no avail. Any tried and true products recomended would be very much appreciated.
HM
Old 01-16-2024, 07:39 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by HaciendaMan
So I want to take care of it, the leather in my Macan I'm talking about, I want to keep it nice and new and supple and without cracks for years to come but I need help finding a good leather conditioner. I found one on Amazon that has 25k sales and 4½ stars called Leather Honey but it looks like it makes the leather shiny. That's great for leather boots and leather sofas etc.
I tried to use the search feature here but to no avail. Any tried and true products recomended would be very much appreciated.
HM
Modern car leather is polyurethane coated and does not absorb “products”.

No “product” is needed. Simply use a damp cotton terry cloth and wipe the surfaces gently now and then.
The following users liked this post:
HaciendaMan (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 08:13 AM
Llarry
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not anti-leather -- all my cars have leather interiors -- but personally I would prefer cloth seat inserts. Available on the 911 but not our Macans.
The following 2 users liked this post by Llarry:
chassis (01-16-2024), HaciendaMan (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 01:31 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis

No “product” is needed. Simply use a damp cotton terry cloth and wipe the surfaces gently now and then.
With this in mind I actually purchased the Porsche leather cleaner and the Porsche leather conditioner. I figure they know the makeup of their leather and whatever coating is applied on top and their products would be formulated to clean and preserve their specific type of leather. I didn't feel that a generic "leather conditioner" would necessarily do anything for modern car leathers.
The following 3 users liked this post by rob944s2:
chassis (01-16-2024), HaciendaMan (01-17-2024), Llarry (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 03:14 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
With this in mind I actually purchased the Porsche leather cleaner and the Porsche leather conditioner. I figure they know the makeup of their leather and whatever coating is applied on top and their products would be formulated to clean and preserve their specific type of leather. I didn't feel that a generic "leather conditioner" would necessarily do anything for modern car leathers.
…and bear in mind that Porsche has no objection to selling “formulated” snake oil. Polyurethane is impervious to normal substances (coffee, water, food, etc.). A cloth damp with tap water will get the job done.

Last edited by chassis; 01-16-2024 at 03:32 PM.
HaciendaMan (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 06:37 PM
Mainiac
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I follow Matt on Obsessed Garage. I learned a lot about pigmented leather and ordered the Protector for our ‘23 S.

HaciendaMan (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:14 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis

Not comepletely true. Even modern leather has to "breath", meaning it's porous, coating or no. The coatings are hydrophobic (they repel water/aqueous fluids) but they break down over time. Even though hides are heavily processed during tanning (esp for automotive products) you are still dealing with what once was a living hide. Some believe that even these processed leather hides need moisture and oils replenished to keep the fibers in the hide from drying out and breaking down over time. Particularly since modern leather is getting thinner due to costs, which means it is weaker when put under stress.

I have used Leatherique (http://www.leatherique.com/) in the past for my 80's era BMW water buffalo hides which lasted over 30 years with no cracks or tears, but there are a lot of other products out there just as good. You probably can't go wrong with Porsche products.
The following 3 users liked this post by DHL:
chassis (01-16-2024), HaciendaMan (01-17-2024), Llarry (01-17-2024)

Quick Reply: I love the feeling of leather on my backside