Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How complex to swap the rear light panel of gen 3 Macan S to the clear version

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 09:19 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts
Default How complex to swap the rear light panel of gen 3 Macan S to the clear version

Would love to swap the rear light panel to the clear version. Has anyone here done this? How complex of a project would that be? Is there a risk to damaging anything? I see Suncoast has the kit on sale for under 1000 bucks and I am really tempted to just go for it. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:40 AM
DavidRS
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Would love to swap the rear light panel to the clear version. Has anyone here done this? How complex of a project would that be? Is there a risk to damaging anything? I see Suncoast has the kit on sale for under 1000 bucks and I am really tempted to just go for it. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
My wife backed into a tree with our Gen 2 Macan. Broke the horizontal center light. Ordered a replacement from Suncoast Porsche. Install was fairly straightforward. Since she has backed into the same tree for a second time, when I replace the unit again, I will make a short video. Unfortunately Suncoast part is back ordered until 2/15

The basic steps are simple. Rear hatch cover needs to come off. There are torx bolts, 6, that hold the panel on. 2 are under the flip open panel in the center, the others are behind the grab handles at the bottom. Those are covered with a thin vinyl/plastic cover that comes off with a hooked pick or similar tool. To get the panel off, remove the reflectors on either side and pull straight down. The plastic clips hold very well so pulling hard is needed, but straight down. The electric switch for the tailgate has a slip connector that must be disconnected.

Once the panel is off, there are 6 fairly large torx bolts, 2 on either end and 2 in the middle. These connect the light to the body. Once removed, the light is free. Just disconnect the power and you are good. Putting the light back in proved more difficult. It is just the reverse of the removal, however I could not get the 2 center bolts to align to the point where I could tighten them. Got them threaded but that was it. Seems ok. Will get to check one more time when the new part comes in and I install it.

Will do a quick step by step video.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidRS:
isugoo (01-09-2024), john981 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 11:17 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS
My wife backed into a tree with our Gen 2 Macan. Broke the horizontal center light. Ordered a replacement from Suncoast Porsche. Install was fairly straightforward. Since she has backed into the same tree for a second time, when I replace the unit again, I will make a short video. Unfortunately Suncoast part is back ordered until 2/15

The basic steps are simple. Rear hatch cover needs to come off. There are torx bolts, 6, that hold the panel on. 2 are under the flip open panel in the center, the others are behind the grab handles at the bottom. Those are covered with a thin vinyl/plastic cover that comes off with a hooked pick or similar tool. To get the panel off, remove the reflectors on either side and pull straight down. The plastic clips hold very well so pulling hard is needed, but straight down. The electric switch for the tailgate has a slip connector that must be disconnected.

Once the panel is off, there are 6 fairly large torx bolts, 2 on either end and 2 in the middle. These connect the light to the body. Once removed, the light is free. Just disconnect the power and you are good. Putting the light back in proved more difficult. It is just the reverse of the removal, however I could not get the 2 center bolts to align to the point where I could tighten them. Got them threaded but that was it. Seems ok. Will get to check one more time when the new part comes in and I install it.

Thank you! I was under the impression that you have to remove the bumper to do the job. Maybe it is the case for the side units??
Old 01-10-2024, 11:26 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Thank you! I was under the impression that you have to remove the bumper to do the job. Maybe it is the case for the side units??
That's correct. Here is a good guide:

https://www.eyeofthekiger.org/post/p...llight-removal
The following users liked this post:
john981 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 12:44 PM
DavidRS
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL

Great link. I must have mis-interpreted. My process is just for the center light and not the stop/turn signal lights. Like that video for Gen 1 the Gen 2 and 3 cars need to have the bumper removed to get to the connections. There are several YouTube videos showing upgrading Gen 1 to Gen 2 full width lights and I think the process of removing the brake/turn signal lights in similar in Gen 2 and 3
The following users liked this post:
john981 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 11:51 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL

This is what I thought, thank you! Is too complicated for me, I will wait for now until I have a little more patience.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:21 PM
MRA
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRS

Hi David, just a quick sidenote, as I ordered the clear light bar (w/ both taillights) from Suncoast last week for our 23 S, and was told there was a backorder until 2/20. As luck would have it, I received an email this morning (1/17) notifying me the parts are in and have already shipped to me, 5 weeks early!

Thought it was worth mentioning...

PS - you may want to either remove the tree, or the wife

Quick Reply: How complex to swap the rear light panel of gen 3 Macan S to the clear version