Macan 2014-Current

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 03:50 PM
Mooshticat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blades

I have a 2022 Porsche Macan S with 4500 miles. Windshield wipers are skipping. I replaced them at Porsche dealership but didn't help. Is anyone having the same problem?
Old 11-12-2023, 07:39 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

There is likely a residue on the windshield that needs removal, whether it's environmental or a purposely applied coating. Once that is removed with a glass polish, I like the below for easy application and maintenance.

Chemical Guys CLD30116 HydroView Ceramic Glass Cleaner, Water Repellent & Protective Coating

https://www.chemicalguys.com/hydrovi.../CLD30116.html

It's possible the HydroView works on its own, depending on what the underlying issue is. It coats the glass for decent water repelling and smooth wiper operation. It's as easy to apply as windex and is my choice versus a more involved coating.

If you need a polish, I like CarPro CeriGlass. It's best applied with a rotary polisher.
​​​​​

Last edited by BMinSFL; 11-13-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:22 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooshticat
I have a 2022 Porsche Macan S with 4500 miles. Windshield wipers are skipping. I replaced them at Porsche dealership but didn't help. Is anyone having the same problem?
Sorry to say that I have had this problem on my 2021 GTS since day 1. Porsche blames it on the ceramic coating that I had installed right after delivery. Replacing blades, polishing etc. have failed to solve the problem. It has really detracted from what is otherwise a perfect car for me.

if you ever get a solution please post. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:35 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by jjhasluck
Sorry to say that I have had this problem on my 2021 GTS since day 1. Porsche blames it on the ceramic coating that I had installed right after delivery. Replacing blades, polishing etc. have failed to solve the problem. It has really detracted from what is otherwise a perfect car for me.

Did you try CeriGlass on a glass polishing pad with a rotary polisher? Mine needed 2-3 passes to get to a clear base.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:39 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
Did you try CeriGlass on a glass polishing pad with a rotary polisher? Mine needed 2-3 passes to get to a clear base.
I don’t recall what product I tried but it wasn’t that. And I didn’t use my rotary. I’ll try it. What pad did you use?
Old 11-13-2023, 11:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

I did ceramic including all glass 1 day from delivery. Forgot which product but no issue ever. I also use Griot's ceramic glass cleaner.

Easy for Porsche to blame it on the ceramic, but it may depend on product used. Or not.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:42 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

I don’t recall what product I tried but it wasn’t that. And I didn’t use my rotary. I’ll try it. What pad did you use?
I used the 6" Griots but CarPro also has a set, if you are ordering anything at the same time. Griots also has a glass polish that is cerium oxide based, that one is good as well.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/glass-polishing-pads/

You need to beat on it with a rotary, since its not a dainty clear coat, no need for anything like a DA/orbital, just the aggression of a rotary. I would do at least two full passes to ensure everything is level, and then apply a coating like the one I linked to above.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 11-13-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:05 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm afraid this is a universal problem, not just a Porsche problem. Causes and/or solutions are many. I guess I'm just lucky as I've not had a windshield (wiper) issue with either my 991.2 911 nor my '22 Macan.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:32 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 154 Posts

In most cases this happens because people use the same towel to dry the car as they do the windshield. Ideally a different towel or chamois is used for the windshield so you don't transfer any products such as wax from the paint to the glass. When wax gets on the glass and wipers it causes skipping.

You can clean the windshield with glass cleaner and then use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the wiper blades and this problem should go away and stay away as long as you are diligent about keeping the glass and wipers sterile.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob944s2:
Pavegeno928 (11-17-2023), Terry Adams (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:55 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

My 2018 is admittedly garage kept, but still, I live in the rain city Seattle area. My five-year-old wiper blades are doing just great. I recall doing the Rain-X program when the car was new, but five years of rain, ice, and snow must have taken that back to regular glass.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:08 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Speaking of cleaning glass, what do folks on the forum use to clean? I have trouble with haze and films showing up a few days later after cleaning. I use Windex with clean paper towels then DI water to rinse, then paper towels again to dry. A day or two later the haze shows up. Looks like a residue that was no comepletely removed the first time.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:34 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Speaking of cleaning glass, what do folks on the forum use to clean? I have trouble with haze and films showing up a few days later after cleaning. I use Windex with clean paper towels then DI water to rinse, then paper towels again to dry. A day or two later the haze shows up. Looks like a residue that was no comepletely removed the first time.
I fought it for years but succumbed to an obvious scam ad and thought why not try it as nothing else worked. It cost way too much and is flimsy as hell, but really does the job. It is a rectangle on a pole with a way to attach a Viva paper towel to it. Zap the inside window with some Windex and apply. Follow up with a dry towel and all is good for at least six months.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:27 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by DHL
I use the OE washer fluid that I drained from the rear window nozzle since it was far too concentrated. I then dilited that about 10:1 water:solution and use it in a spray bottle for cleaning the outside. After the initial dirt is removed with the solution, I use the HydroView I mentioned above. If you have a haze, you'll need to use a polish or you can try an isopropyl alcohol wipe to see if that will dissolve the residue.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 11-14-2023 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:55 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
I use the OE washer fluid that I drained from the rear window nozzle since it was far too concentrated. I then dilited that about 10:1 water:solution and use it in a spray bottle for cleaning the outside. After the initial dirt is removed with the solution, I use the HydroView I mentioned above. If you have a haze, you'll need to use a polish or you can try an isopropyl alcohol wipe to see if that will dissolve the residue.
I can remove the haze easily enough with a window cleaner. Its just that it returns again after a few days. If I rub it off or buff it with a clean, dry cloth then it is gone for good or until the window needs cleaning again.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:24 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Originally Posted by DHL
I can remove the haze easily enough with a window cleaner. Its just that it returns again after a few days. If I rub it off or buff it with a clean, dry cloth then it is gone for good or until the window needs cleaning again.
I'm not sure I am following but its either road grime or you can try an IPA wipe or polish procedure if you think its a more permanent residue. I clean my windshield every day or other day due to bugs, dirt, etc that leave a haze. I try not to use my windshield washer system too often because it sprays the entire car from the poor nozzle design. I save that for the days when the car is already dirty. Black paint problems.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 11-14-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades