Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2021 Cayenne S vs 2021 Macan Turbo - Baby on the Way!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 07:17 AM
991.7mt
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2021 Cayenne S vs 2021 Macan Turbo - Baby on the Way!

Hey everyone,

I just sold my 911 and looking to pick up one of these two cars. We have our first baby on the way, and currently have a 2022 X3 M40i, which my wife usually drives to work. That’s used as our road trip car currently. We also have a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X lease that expires in June 2024.

I’ve recently transitioned from a working from home tech job to real estate. So I’m driving a lot more now. We live in Vermont and either car would be great through winter.

I’m looking for a CPO car so I’ll have around 3 years of warranty for either. Macan Turbos I’m looking at have PSE, Sport Chrono, Premium Plus, etc. I’m open to the regular Cayenne S or the Cayenne Coupe S. I’m a little afraid of depreciation, especially with the redesigned 2024 out now.

I don’t want to completely give up a fun driving experience, but I’d love to hear thoughts from people that have owned or cross-shopped both. I’ve driven my friend’s 2021 Macan GTS, and it’s relatively fun, but still feels like a compromise. I’m 5’9” and we don’t have any dogs. Both our cars can’t fit in our garage, so my car will probably sit outside the garage, underneath our balcony.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2023, 09:45 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Both good choices, we are on our second Macan S (2022 lease) and will be leasing a 2025
I was a 45 year member of the BMW club, and gave up on X5's after driving the Macan's
GTS ? Cayenne S depends on your budget I guess
We have the most practical Macan S, and the most impractical 2019 911 cab
Can I call the Macan S Half of a 911 ?

Last edited by dak911; 10-30-2023 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added last line
Old 10-30-2023, 11:49 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

I've driven both extensively and would go Macan all the way... the Cayenne is nice but feels like any mid-size SUV on the road. The Macan however drives/feels much smaller and has a sporty hot hatch feeling not normally found in an SUV. If you can deal with the smallish size and relative lack of space (compared to the Cayenne) it is a no-brainer to me.

Of course it is a compromise relative to a 911 (pretty much everything is) but it is hard to beat the Macan's performance, handling, and practicality when it comes to the SUV category. Assuming the size works for you of course.
The following users liked this post:
Penstamin (11-04-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Depends on the performance boxes the previous owner had checked.
On mine, I checked all, e.g. air, sport chrono, PTV, maybe more that I can't remember or were standard on the turbo.
When road permits, mash the gas to the floor in auto mode and hear the exhaust bark when it up shifts.
Old 10-30-2023, 01:11 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,193 Posts

In your real estate role, if you will be transporting clients, you may place higher emphasis on interior room. One passenger up front - either car will do just fine. More than that - you would want the Cayenne.

Regarding resale value - opinions certainly will vary, but my impression is that the design of the '24 is a step backward. Especially when viewing the vehicle from the rear. I've heard similar sentiments from others regarding that.

Then, there's also the price increase with the newly released '24 versus the '23 which helps offset some small portion of the normal depreciation of the earlier models.

If looking at the Cayenne - definitely an S. The 2.9L engine is superior to the 3.0L (Audi / VW) engine.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:36 PM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

The Macan is way too small in the back.

Like others have said, a rear facing child seat can only go on the passenger side because it requires the front seat moved so far forward, it would not be a proper driving position for most drivers.

The leg room in the back is probably the worst in it's class (along with the Audi Q5 of course). Compared to your X3, it's a night and day difference (even though they are in the "same class").

I find the rear leg room uncomfortable in the Macan. Literally set the driving position and then went to sit in the back and thought "zero chance". If you're driving clients for showings, you want them feeling comfortable in the back and in a good mood. Not all crammed and annoyed by the time they get to the showing.

Also, if you're loading up your signs and stuff in the back, the extra trunk space will be very useful.

Lastly, people say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but your clients will definitely judge you. If the vehicle is too cheap, they won't think you're a successful realtor. If the vehicle is too expensive or over the top, it might put some clients off as well. Gotta find that right balance and I think the Cayenne is closer to the top of that balance.
Penstamin (11-04-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:33 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalson
The Macan is way too small in the back.

Like others have said, a rear facing child seat can only go on the passenger side because it requires the front seat moved so far forward, it would not be a proper driving position for most drivers.

The leg room in the back is probably the worst in it's class (along with the Audi Q5 of course). Compared to your X3, it's a night and day difference (even though they are in the "same class").

I find the rear leg room uncomfortable in the Macan. Literally set the driving position and then went to sit in the back and thought "zero chance". If you're driving clients for showings, you want them feeling comfortable in the back and in a good mood. Not all crammed and annoyed by the time they get to the showing.

Also, if you're loading up your signs and stuff in the back, the extra trunk space will be very useful.

Lastly, people say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but your clients will definitely judge you. If the vehicle is too cheap, they won't think you're a successful realtor. If the vehicle is too expensive or over the top, it might put some clients off as well. Gotta find that right balance and I think the Cayenne is closer to the top of that balance.
The Cayenne is like a Nash Rambler. Life is too short. Get smaller clients and the Macan S.
Larson E. Rapp (11-03-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:40 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats on the baby! The Macan feels like a coupe while using it as a family car with a baby seat in the back. It feels tiny compared to my wife's Lexus NX, which is already a "small" suv. It's doable since its my work daily and dosen't see family duty too often but it's not a good car for routinely having anyone in the back and front seats simultaneously

Its the trade-off for being almost 1,000lbs lighter and more nimble. The only flavor I would opt for a Cayenne is a V8 "coupe". That would offset some of the loss of handling fidelity switching from a Macan. With a Cayenne S (pre-2024), I couldn't justify being in a car with the same engine as something 1,000lb lighter. The V8 would somehow make up for that however its more fun to have a great handling car than one with a big engine.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 10-31-2023 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:02 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 658 Posts

Personally in that situation I would get a Cayenne. The Macan is too small in the back seat/back area for a family. IMO it's really an occasional use back seat only.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
dak911 (10-31-2023), Penstamin (11-04-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:22 AM
nc.detail
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne. Macan is tiny and wouldn't have it if our other car wasn't an X5
Old 10-31-2023, 11:06 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

I agree, the Mscan rear passenger space is cramped in the leg room..(But we only have dogs back there,so GREAT)
Old 10-31-2023, 12:34 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Battery changes on the cayenne look like a potential major expense, which was one factor for me when deciding new Macan vs used Cayenne.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:48 PM
TonyVan
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Recently lost my 2013 Cayenne GTS in an accident. Not going into details but the car saved my life. Crash was at 70 mph and involved 70' of guard rail and a tree or two. Walked away with a lot of bruises and a small cut. Car was a total loss.
Looked for a replacement but didn't like the new console smooth switches or having to access functions via the touch screen, on the newer models.
I wound up buying a 2018 Macan GTS. Picked it up yesterday so I don't have a feel for it yet but the comments about rear leg room are very valid. I'm only 5'10" so the drivers room is fine. Hope the car is a strong as the Cayenne.
Tony
Pictures to make you think:

Last edited by TonyVan; 10-31-2023 at 07:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyVan:
i386_64 (11-03-2023), Larson E. Rapp (11-03-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 03:04 PM
Kalson
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Holy smokes, glad you're OK.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:09 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Glad you are OK, managed to bend every panel!!
You are right about the "Touch console" it SUCKS BIG TIME Porsche engineer who thought this up should be tarred and feathered
One more time IT IS A ****TY SOLUTION TO A NON PROBLEM and it is DANGEROUS you can't feel the buttons, you have to look down

Quick Reply: 2021 Cayenne S vs 2021 Macan Turbo - Baby on the Way!