Macan 2014-Current

Battery Replacement Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 03:32 PM
Pretorien
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery Replacement Experiment

I replaced the battery on my '18 SE today (Actually my favorite Indie shop did it - these old hands are not up to it these days.) The "experiment" part? They can read codes, clear codes and reset service reminders but their OBD gear won't code batteries. I've read dozens of posts on the Macan Forum on this topic most of which relate to the ability of various scanners to perform the task and few dire warnings about the consequences of failing to do so.

Porsche is not alone in "requiring" this step (BMW does it as well) I have thought long and hard on the subject - Full disclosure: I have a strong technical background in electricity and electronic and am skeptical of the process because looking at the steps we find this information input is required:

1. battery serial number
2. battery part number
3.battery type
4.battery specs

1&2 are useless and contain no useful information (in point of fact, many of the "how to" discussion note that these numbers often differ in length between brands and can be adjusted to suit)
3&4 - AGM, 92AH, 850 CCA This is the "hard" information in the system's computer and, if the new battery has the same specs, (mine does) nothing needs changing. All the computer knows at this point is that the battery has been disconnected. All the system can gather beyond this is voltage at some point (presumably at the battery terminals) and current flowing through the system - the same variables that are avialable to "adjust" (as we are told) the charging curve to avoid battery damage. My assumption - If the system can use the V & A readings to compensate for battery aging, it will use the same data to adjust for any differences in the new unit.

Here's what I have seen so far: On initial start-up a running voltage of 12.4 was displayed, different from the typical 14,6 - 14,7 volts but, after a brief stop following a very short drive, on restarting, the customary 14.6 - 14.7 number reappeared. Of course, the travel limits on the hatch and windows needed resetting.

If anything occurs to change my mind, I shall report it here.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:09 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts

The Battery Type (AGM or Flooded) and the capacity (Ah) are needed for the capacity aging mathematical model used in the Battery Management System. The results of the Battery Management System is only to shut things down if the calculated battery capacity and/or state-of-charge falls below a certain threshold (ie, if the battery calculated state-of-charge is too low, the Auto Start-Stop feature is disabled, or the rear defogger (high current consumption) is disabled).

The change of the battery part number, and/or serial number just resets the capacity/aging model, because a new battery was installed. The system only sees that these numbers changed from the previously stored values.

If you don't "recode" for a new battery, I suspect nothing bad happens, other than the system weak-battery protection features may trigger prematurely.

VW and Audi use the same type of Battery Management/Protection systems, where a recode is suggested when a battery is replaced.

Last edited by VAGfan; 10-09-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:49 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretorien
I replaced the battery on my '18 SE today (Actually my favorite Indie shop did it - these old hands are not up to it these days.) The "experiment" part? They can read codes, clear codes and reset service reminders but their OBD gear won't code batteries. I've read dozens of posts on the Macan Forum on this topic most of which relate to the ability of various scanners to perform the task and few dire warnings about the consequences of failing to do so.

Porsche is not alone in "requiring" this step (BMW does it as well) I have thought long and hard on the subject - Full disclosure: I have a strong technical background in electricity and electronic and am skeptical of the process because looking at the steps we find this information input is required:

1. battery serial number
2. battery part number
3.battery type
4.battery specs

1&2 are useless and contain no useful information (in point of fact, many of the "how to" discussion note that these numbers often differ in length between brands and can be adjusted to suit)
3&4 - AGM, 92AH, 850 CCA This is the "hard" information in the system's computer and, if the new battery has the same specs, (mine does) nothing needs changing. All the computer knows at this point is that the battery has been disconnected. All the system can gather beyond this is voltage at some point (presumably at the battery terminals) and current flowing through the system - the same variables that are avialable to "adjust" (as we are told) the charging curve to avoid battery damage. My assumption - If the system can use the V & A readings to compensate for battery aging, it will use the same data to adjust for any differences in the new unit.

Here's what I have seen so far: On initial start-up a running voltage of 12.4 was displayed, different from the typical 14,6 - 14,7 volts but, after a brief stop following a very short drive, on restarting, the customary 14.6 - 14.7 number reappeared. Of course, the travel limits on the hatch and windows needed resetting.

If anything occurs to change my mind, I shall report it here.
My experience with an Autel scanner and my 991.2 911 was that there are inputs for battery replacement, but that not all (or many) aftermarket batteries are accepted by the Porsche system in the car. If the battery does not have Porsche part numbers then the new battery data cannot be added with the scanner. If you use the old battery data you can complete the registration process but it is unknown if the data is really changed by the system. I doubt if it really makes any difference in any case.
You have a battery voltage readout in your Macan?
I can't find it in my 22 GTS.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Pretorien
Advanced

Originally Posted by DHL
My experience with an Autel scanner and my 991.2 911 was that there are inputs for battery replacement, but that not all (or many) aftermarket batteries are accepted by the Porsche system in the car. If the battery does not have Porsche part numbers then the new battery data cannot be added with the scanner. If you use the old battery data you can complete the registration process but it is unknown if the data is really changed by the system. I doubt if it really makes any difference in any case.
You have a battery voltage readout in your Macan?
I can't find it in my 22 GTS.
The battery voltage display is part of the car data panel choice in the small LED window to the right of the tach. On my car, it is brought up by scrolling through the options with a thumb button on the RH steering wheel spoke.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:14 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretorien
The battery voltage display is part of the car data panel choice in the small LED window to the right of the tach. On my car, it is brought up by scrolling through the options with a thumb button on the RH steering wheel spoke.

Found it. But there are only 4 fields there and I have Boost, Oil temp, Oil pressure, and coolant temp already selected. Looks like you have coolant temp available for the bottom sector but I only have time/and or time/temp (air temp) available on mine.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:20 AM
Pretorien
Advanced

Default 1st Report

Drove the car yesterday (first time since Monday battery replacement) "Turn on" voltage: 12.4 volts. Initial voltage reading after start: 14.7 V. About half way through a 35 minute drive, voltage reading dropped to 13.5 volts. This is the pattern that I would expect from an "intelligent" system responding to the state of charge of a new AGM battery. (charge rate slowing as the battery approaches fully charged)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:39 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts

That is normal charging system behavior for either flooded or AGM batteries.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Experiment