Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Idiot question: why does the radio always start up at high volume

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023 | 03:12 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Default Idiot question: why does the radio always start up at high volume

Tried to search the forum but couldn't find an answer or an answer in manual.

For some reason, my Macan T always starts up with the radio on a loud volume every time I start the T. I always use CarPlay and either listen to Apple Music or podcasts. I always pause the audio before turning off the car, but for some reason the FM radio plays full blast on returning and starting the car. Seems that locking or leaving the car unlocked makes no difference.

Totally annoying. Anything I can do to prevent this?
Old 09-21-2023 | 03:37 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

sometimes the last setting is what the macan starts with. when connected to a phone, the phone volume is usually maxed so that the vehicle controls will do the adjusting.
you can also adjust the settings on each source--check the radio has automatic adjust to cabin noise on. But the moment the macan starts, it probably is still trying to connect to
the phone (mine, a 2021, takes a minute at least)
Old 09-21-2023 | 04:45 PM
PSEE
Pro

Installation of a Niche module will alleviate this annoying/obnoxious "feature", which has been present since the 95B.1 Macans.

Old 09-21-2023 | 11:56 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

If it's like mine, it will remember the source that was active at the time CarPlay came up. Then, the next time you start the car, it will play that source until CarPlay connects once again.

Fortunately, there's an 'Online' option in my Source menu that corresponds to something that I apparently don't have, so it doesn't make any sound at all when selected. So whenever I'm done listening to the radio, SD card, or SiriusXM, or at the end of a drive where any of those sources were playing, I try to remember to select 'Online' before shutting the car off.

Super stupid that there's no menu option to disable this behavior, but this workaround gets the job done as long as you remember to do it.
Old 09-22-2023 | 12:11 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

My 2023 T always starts on FM radio before CarPlay boots up, but the volume is normal.
Old 09-22-2023 | 12:20 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

If you have memory seats, try setting the volume where you like it / want it and save the memory to your position. I feel like mine doesn't start very loud and wondering if that's why.

(related...should remember climate control temp this way as well)
Old 09-22-2023 | 03:21 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alin2
Tried to search the forum but couldn't find an answer or an answer in manual.

For some reason, my Macan T always starts up with the radio on a loud volume every time I start the T. I always use CarPlay and either listen to Apple Music or podcasts. I always pause the audio before turning off the car, but for some reason the FM radio plays full blast on returning and starting the car. Seems that locking or leaving the car unlocked makes no difference.

Totally annoying. Anything I can do to prevent this?
Try pressing the mute button on the steering wheel before turning the car off. Exit the vehicle, lock the doors. Then re-enter the car, start the engine and see if the sound system remains muted.

VW vehicles are weird with the volume on start thing. I had a Touareg with RNS850 that always started with low-mid volume and the first thing I needed to do is turn the volume to zero each time starting the car.
Old 09-22-2023 | 10:38 AM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

If you have the Porsche Entry and Drive, and clicked the key memory setting on the display, the car will “remember” various settings, including audio, seats etc. every time you locked the car, and re-open it with the same key. So if you want it quiet, or lower volume, change it before you shutdown/lock the car.
Old 09-22-2023 | 08:47 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone.

Will try some of the suggestions, but I'm pretty sure I've tried all of them.

I wonder if when I mute the PCM on exiting/turning off the car I'm muting the Apple CarPlay podcast or Apple Music but not the underlying FM radio? I wonder if I have to mute both?
Old 09-22-2023 | 09:07 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

You're sure you tried selecting a nonexistent or silent source before selecting CarPlay?

Quick Reply: Idiot question: why does the radio always start up at high volume