Macan 2014-Current

Q: Factory tinted glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 12:08 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Q: Factory tinted glass

Is the factory "privacy glass" tinted or is it just colored pigment that simply darkens the window? If the later, then it really doesn't block out the suns heat and only provides privacy or shade to the interior. I always have the front door glass ceramic tinted and thinking about having the other windows tinted now.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:25 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
Is the factory "privacy glass" tinted or is it just colored pigment that simply darkens the window? If the later, then it really doesn't block out the suns heat and only provides privacy or shade to the interior. I always have the front door glass ceramic tinted and thinking about having the other windows tinted now.
My understanding is that it’s just dyed, so I have ceramic tint on everything but the windshield.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:02 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdubu
My understanding is that it’s just dyed, so I have ceramic tint on everything but the windshield.
I guess I'll have clear ceramic installed on all of the factory tinted glass while the fronts are getting done.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:32 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
I guess I'll have clear ceramic installed on all of the factory tinted glass while the fronts are getting done.
Thanks for posting this. I am currently going through the same decision process. I was not familiar with the clear ceramic product you mentioned. Does the clear ceramic provide heat/sun blockage? I am not interested in placing a tinted film over the tinted rear glass.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:13 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn’t aware that you can get a clear ceramic film either.

https://suntekfilms.com/na/en/automo...ow-tint/clear/
The following users liked this post:
NickS (08-21-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Do it. I got the entire car done including glass roof and windshield. I have a black interior and live in very hot climate and it's made a world of difference.
The following users liked this post:
NickS (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 10:54 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdubu
I wasn’t aware that you can get a clear ceramic film either.

https://suntekfilms.com/na/en/automo...ow-tint/clear/
Yup... I typically use Llumar but I think every major brand sells a clear tint now.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:21 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

The description for the infrared/heat properties in the provided link are:

Stealth ProtectionGood heat and infrared rejection with excellent UV protection; nearly imperceptible change in glass appearance

Most film manufacturers like to specify percentages of rejection with their products. This product states "good" and excellent.

Dropped my GTS off this morning for ppf, ceramic and window tint. My guy says the clearest film he has that offers rejection is a 70% film. I have decided to forego rear window film installation for now.

Quick Reply: Q: Factory tinted glass