Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Does PASM without air suspension change the height?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 03:16 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Does PASM without air suspension change the height?

I was just reading the quick manual and it was saying that with PASM you can change the ride height. I thought the base PASM is just making the suspension stiffer or softer without any change of ride height. I also really don't feel any difference between normal/sport/sport plus suspension setting. Does anybody know for sure how the base PASM is working?
Old 07-29-2023, 12:23 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I was just reading the quick manual and it was saying that with PASM you can change the ride height. I thought the base PASM is just making the suspension stiffer or softer without any change of ride height. I also really don't feel any difference between normal/sport/sport plus suspension setting. Does anybody know for sure how the base PASM is working?
The PASM settings alone don’t change ride height. With steel/PASM in day to day driving, I find the ride differences more subtle than I expected among the PASM settings. I feel more body movement in normal and when I switch to PASM sport or sport plus, I feel the suspension clench up/stiffen, but it’s not a dramatic change at least to me.

The normal setting doesn’t feel more “comfortable” to me or dampen small bumps in the road significantly differently imo and I would rather keep it in sport/sport plus.

I’ve been meaning to try the settings back to back while driving more aggressively on the same road, but haven’t gotten around to it…
Old 07-29-2023, 01:23 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

PASM settings do not affect ride hight. They adjust the speed of rebound in the shock absorbers. That works with the ECU to vary the speed of throttle response, hence the feeling of "sporttness."
Old 07-29-2023, 01:34 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

I really feel zero difference between the 3 mods. It almost looks like Porsche put that button in there to give us the feeling we have something which we really don't have.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:36 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I really feel zero difference between the 3 mods. It almost looks like Porsche put that button in there to give us the feeling we have something which we really don't have.
Really? I definitely feel a difference. It's subtle on smooth pavement, but on broken pavement it's very obvious. 23 Macan base with PASM and air.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:50 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSC48
Really? I definitely feel a difference. It's subtle on smooth pavement, but on broken pavement it's very obvious. 23 Macan base with PASM and air.
You have air, I have steal.

Quick Reply: Does PASM without air suspension change the height?