Macan 2014-Current

Used macan advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 07:50 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Used macan advice

I’m looking for a low mile CPO’d macan in the sub $45k range and would appreciate some input.

I like all styles/versions so newer isn’t critical, unless I’m missing something.

questions i have
i really want adaptive cruise. Does it work well? May be hard to find in my price range.

is a base macan a bore or worth considering? ie, newer base macan lower miles vs older macan s

if CPO, are miles a huge factor? I want low miles mainly to ensure an interior and seats in nice condition

i put on a lot of miles and have a fear of the pdk and transfer case, therefore the requirements for cpo

The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 08:04 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
I’m looking for a low mile CPO’d macan in the sub $45k range and would appreciate some input.

I like all styles/versions so newer isn’t critical, unless I’m missing something.

questions i have
i really want adaptive cruise. Does it work well? May be hard to find in my price range.

is a base macan a bore or worth considering? ie, newer base macan lower miles vs older macan s

if CPO, are miles a huge factor? I want low miles mainly to ensure an interior and seats in nice condition

i put on a lot of miles and have a fear of the pdk and transfer case, therefore the requirements for cpo
The first Gen cars are older , have known issues (transfer case . oil leak, timing chain) which may or may not surface and will still cost money to maintain . This isn't like buying a classic Porsche . Its a car that is used as a daily and reliability is crucial. I would be looking at 20 and up base CPO cars and it might be priced too high . The more you spend going in the less worry you have once its in your garage (with new being the ideal ) .
TXCOMT (08-13-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 09:04 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata

questions i have

Standard pre-owned car buying principle is to buy the newest, lowest mileage vehicle that meets your feature requirements and is in your price range.

ACC works fine across most brands, meaning it behaves as advertised. I don't like ACC functionality, but that is a different question you didn't ask.

The transfer case and oil leaks should be taken seriously on older cars.

Whether a base Macan is boring or not is your call. How fast and sporty do you like to drive? What is your current daily driver?
Old 06-26-2023, 12:15 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Test drive a base and see if it’s for you.

I test drove a 2021 GTS and ended up going with a new 2023 T (4cyl). I have other cars for fun, and the purpose of this vehicle for me was a reliable appliance that is a little more enthusiast oriented than most other options, and it’s my opinion the 4cyl does a good job meeting that criteria.

Some might argue saving money and going with a Q5 or SQ5 over a 4cyl macan, but I was not a fan of the interior for various reasons and my neighbor has one that’s maybe three years old that seems to be horrifically unreliable based on how often she’s driving a service loaner.

If this was my only vehicle, I probably would have gone with a GTS.

If you bump your budget up to $50k you can get a CPO 2019-2021 4cyl with adaptive cruise..

I stayed away from anything older than 2019 due to transfer case issues, v6 engine problems, and outdated infotainment systems.

search on finder.porsche.com

Last edited by sivikvtec; 06-26-2023 at 12:34 AM.
chassis (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 11:13 AM
signde
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 156 Posts

ACC was a requirement for me and i will warn you it was not a very common option. i was only after 2018 and under models as i prefer the styling of the split tail lights over the unibrow lights. i'd roughly guess under 20% of the cars i came across had ACC, and probably more like 10%. it made my search challenging as my budget was similar to yours. what really broadened things up for me was expanding beyond just porsche CPO and looking at other sources. that's the route i ended up going along with a warranty through a third party (highline auto, a sponsor here on rennlist). as for the "outdated" tech, i solved that problem with a Mr12Volt carplay unit.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:27 AM
Baconator
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I drove a base Macan as a service loaner and while I loved the handling, fit/finish... the 4cyl. felt a bit soulless to me. Sure, it had good pep, but it left me wanting more. So I ended up buying an S and am very satisfied. As other's have mentioned, go for 2019+ and lowest miles possible... but finding a CPO that checks all your boxes (the big one being ACC) will be difficult.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:50 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

thanks the last 3 responses are what i'm looking for. i have a couple fun cars and this is mostly a commuter and long distance driver for sales calls. i mostly want a CPO macan for the better dealer experience, the porsche dash, the seats, and the reward of carrying speed around a corner.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:14 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny, I will be using mine for much of the same, including sales calls.

I’ve only had the car for a week and will be taking it out probably next week for customer visits. I have to admit that I’m a little uncomfortable with how it might be perceived by certain customers when I pull up in this thing…especially in todays world where our company has passed along numerous price increases over the last couple of years.

My previous vehicle was a Lexus GS350, and it was never a problem, so I’m probably overthinking it.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:53 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

If you keep your expectations where they are, then you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:48 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

I have a 2023 base and the engine isn't a thrill ride but it's certainly adequate. The adaptive cruise works well. Mine was a CPO with 800 miles and was around $10,000 below a current build with a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty. Hard to pass up.
chassis (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 09:37 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

2021 Base - It wasn't too thrilling on the test drive but felt like a very nice, solid luxury car nonetheless.

After taking it home, spending some time with it and adding things such as a piggyback tune, pedal commander, Michelin PS4 SUV tires and thicker sway bars, it's become a blast to drive and am very happy with the value delivered from a slightly used base model.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-02-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

I just picked up a 2018 GTS 38K Miles and all looks good. I will take into the local dealership and get things checked out. I also purchased an aftermarket extended warranty but I'm really not super worried about. They been making Macans for a good length of time and there known issues appear to be few.

As for any used car over a couple it years old it may need:
1. New battery. Just request it as part of the sale. They commonly fail within 5 years.
2. Tires. Check the production date on the side wall. If it's > 4 years old, then request new tires.

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-02-2023 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeus993:
chassis (07-02-2023), dak911 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 01:32 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts

ACC is a nice addition, if you do a LOT of Interstate Highway driving, otherwise regular "cruise" is adequate.
I like the "surround" camera, it helps when parking so as not to scrape your wheels.... 14 or 18 way seats are a must for me...
as far as Base vs S, we have an S...BUT. when I had a Base loaner , I found it to be adequate.....
The 2022 and the 2019 we had previously are Leases, so the cost of multiple options are negligible in the monthly cost
Old 07-03-2023, 02:58 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

I've also been impressed with the noise insulated glass. Makes the Macan a super quiet highway cruiser.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:59 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 125 Posts

The "road noise" has always bothered me need more info about the insulating glass
one other "bother" is the fan noise from the heat/a/c

Quick Reply: Used macan advice