Macan 2014-Current

2023 Macan (S) has come a long way

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 12:28 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default 2023 Macan (S) has come a long way

I remember as Macan came out first, the base Macan S was as base as it could get. In order to get a decent car, you had to add about $10k of extras to make it look and feel decent. Even the Base S wheels looked super ugly. Porsche was always behind the competitors and things which were standard in the cheapest Toyota Corolla, you had to pay extra for. Even until model 20-21 many things were unchanged. With model year 2022-23, though the Macan S grew up significantly. I think Porsche Macan S is now where the base model has most of the things you would expect from a modern SUV. Even the base wheels look now great for my taste. Of course the macan is now also more expensive than before but the fact that we have now comfort access, adaptive cruise control, 20 inch wheels, 375 HP engine etc., standard is pretty good. My incoming Macan S has only premium plus package and chalk paint as extra and I feel I have all I need. All I can say: Good job Porsche
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
Dubber (06-26-2023), rdubu (06-16-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 12:47 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 658 Posts

Agree. Sad that surround view camera is still not standard though. Good on Porsche for making adaptive cruise standard FINALLY.
The following users liked this post:
gellenole (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 01:18 PM
gellenole
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Totally agree here -- I bit the bullet at the right time after reviewing earlier generations and how the power changes were not that far apart to make the S worth it. I never bothered with GTS because it was just too much for me with features I didn't think were 100% necessary (eg air suspension and auto lowering, while great -- not my thing). Steal Springs with PASM is good enough.
With the same engine and turbo between GTS and S, the power distribution is just about the same when tuned. So it's easily a good value option on the S. A good entry that they did was to give a "T" model imho. The only thing I wish was that they provided at least 2 choices for wheels in styling. Though I am spending a bit of money to get wheels for styling purposes.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:07 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

100%, so many great things now standard on the S and even the base. Only options I did was Premium plus, sports exhaust, volcano grey paint, and summer tires.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:29 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

While here in the US we can enjoy all these goodies with the base model, people in many other countries still have to pay for ever little option. I just looked at the german porsche page and following things are still not part of the base S:
- Comfort entry
- Extended range gas tank
- power steering plus
- auto dimming mirror
- tinted rear windows
- adaptive cruise control
- Homelink garage door opener
- seat memory package
- There are no premium plus package and you have to pay for each option separately.

But....... Even though the shown price seem to be much higher than in the US, the displayed prices in Germany always include 19% sales tax. When you deduct that, the adjusted pre tax price in USD will be more or less the same as in the US. Independent of that, the US market seem to enjoy much better treatment than the German (and many other) markets.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Don't forget the starting price of Macan S was below $50k when it first came out in 2014 (MY 2015). MY23 is starting at $72k now, $22k difference.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:04 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Don't forget the starting price of Macan S was below $50k when it first came out in 2014 (MY 2015). MY23 is starting at $72k now, $22k difference.
You forget something. $50k in 2014 are not equal $50k in 2023. The actual MSRP of the Base Macan S was $50895 in 2014. Lets say $50k to keep the calculation easy. $50,000 in 2014 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $64,233.37 today, an increase of $14,233.37 over 9 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.82% per year between 2014 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 28.47%.

My incoming 2023 Macan S has a Base MSRP of $68k. Considering the fact that we have now the old GTS engine I would say the current S is cheaper than the 2015 model and that without considering any of the other added features which are easily worth $4-$5k.

In the same note I have to say that there are still few things missing in the base which can be found in the cheapest Toyota Corolla. As I started this thread I had just watched this Video
and after some research I found out that he is wrong with many of his statements:

- LKA is still not standard and costs extra
- TJA comes with LKA and not standard
- No emergency braking

I still think we have come a long way and the current model is much much better than the 2015 model but there is still room for development. The above items are now standard of most cheap car in their base models.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:33 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I remember as Macan came out first, the base Macan S was as base as it could get. In order to get a decent car, you had to add about $10k of extras to make it look and feel decent. Even the Base S wheels looked super ugly. Porsche was always behind the competitors and things which were standard in the cheapest Toyota Corolla, you had to pay extra for. Even until model 20-21 many things were unchanged. With model year 2022-23, though the Macan S grew up significantly. I think Porsche Macan S is now where the base model has most of the things you would expect from a modern SUV. Even the base wheels look now great for my taste. Of course the macan is now also more expensive than before but the fact that we have now comfort access, adaptive cruise control, 20 inch wheels, 375 HP engine etc., standard is pretty good. My incoming Macan S has only premium plus package and chalk paint as extra and I feel I have all I need. All I can say: Good job Porsche
Congrats! I'm sure your going to love it. I have a somewhat "base" 2022 Macan S in Chalk, but man do i love it. I do really wish i had done the air suspension, but you have to draw the line at some point.

The following users liked this post:
john981 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 09:36 PM
steveo17
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

have a 23 as well. while i do wish the surround view was optioned, it just makes me have to be a better driver without it
Old 06-28-2023, 10:08 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by steveo17
have a 23 as well. while i do wish the surround view was optioned, it just makes me have to be a better driver without it
The screen resolution of the surround view is a complete joke. That was one of the options I was considering but after seeing it in person when on my test drive I immediately took it off my build sheet. My F-350 has the surround view camera system and the picture quality is significantly better.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:09 PM
steveo17
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
The screen resolution of the surround view is a complete joke. That was one of the options I was considering but after seeing it in person when on my test drive I immediately took it off my build sheet. My F-350 has the surround view camera system and the picture quality is significantly better.
while I don't have it, I of course do have a back up camera and find it to be serviceable. also haven't bought a car in 10 years so I guess I don't have anything to compare it to
Old 06-28-2023, 10:12 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by steveo17
while I don't have it, I of course do have a back up camera and find it to be serviceable. also haven't bought a car in 10 years so I guess I don't have anything to compare it to
The backup camera alone is actually not that bad but what ever other cameras they use for the side mirrors and front are of much less quality. Then again is could be the software and image processing to create the surround view image that ruins the picture quality.

Quick Reply: 2023 Macan (S) has come a long way