Notices
Macan 2014-Current

State Inspections. For or Against?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:44 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts
Default State Inspections. For or Against?

I live in Texas. Seems someone in Austin thinks it makes sense to submit legislation to end State Inspections for vehicles. You’ll only have to pass an emissions test.

IMO, that’s insanity. Totally and completely.

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2023, 08:51 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I live in Texas. Seems someone in Austin thinks it makes sense to submit legislation to end State Inspections for vehicles. You’ll only have to pass an emissions test.

IMO, that’s insanity. Totally and completely.

Anyone?
Huh??

Are you sure you live in Texas?? Or, do you happen to live in Austin??

At any rate, we need less legislation, not more. . . so, I am all for less.

Since these car forums do not like when things get 'political,' I will just leave it at that.

Avera
Old 05-23-2023, 09:17 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Huh??

Are you sure you live in Texas?? Or, do you happen to live in Austin??

At any rate, we need less legislation, not more. . . so, I am all for less.

Since these car forums do not like when things get 'political,' I will just leave it at that.

Avera
This has nothing to do with politics. I’m talking here regarding vehicles that have no, zero, business being on the same roads as you and me.
The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:22 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
This has nothing to do with politics. I’m talking here regarding vehicles that have no, zero, business being on the same roads as you and me.
I vote less legislation. . .

Avera
Old 05-23-2023, 10:06 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, here in deep-blue Washington, there are no inspections whatsoever. They even got rid of emissions inspections several years ago.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:30 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

In NJ, they removed all govt auto regulations for profit except for emissions. Someone did a study and found no adverse safety effects from the lack of inspections. Florida has no inspections. I love it! Freedom.
Avera (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 10:37 AM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

In theory, I think it’s a good idea, but in practice it clearly doesn’t keep anyone from driving whatever the hell they want in whatever unsafe condition it may be in. You’d never know we had state inspections if you look at the cars driving around Houston. At this point I’m not sure it changes anything from a safety standpoint to do away with it, but I’ve got 7 vehicles and that sure makes my life easier. I’m okay getting rid of it, but can promise if that happens the state is still going to get their money one way or another.

The following 2 users liked this post by josephvman:
Paul125 (05-25-2023), T3X4S (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:04 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 636 Posts

In Colorado we have emissions inspection but zero safety inspections. To me, with modern cars emissions systems, emissions testing is largely unnecessary. I would love to see a safety inspection in the USA similar to MOT in the UK.
rasetsu (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:07 AM
mikewire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in TX. I've never had to complete an emissions test, just the annual State safety check that costs $7 for registration. So what are you talking about with emissions? Is that an Austin thing?

IMO it's obnoxious to take my modern cars in every year before registration, but there's a bunch of knuckleheads on the road that are forced once a year to meet some minimum requirements for everyone else's safely on the road, so I think that's acceptable.

I have a 1972 Bus and 1965 Beetle that would never pass emissions, and I would never be able to drive them if that were the case. So...no way do we need emissions testing, so GTFO with that BS. Less regulations the better.

Last edited by mikewire; 05-24-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Avera (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:29 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 327 Posts

We don't have regular inspections here, just a safety inspection whenever the plates are changed on a vehicle (ie when it's sold). There's a few death traps out there, but it's not that bad.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:42 AM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewire
I'm in TX. I've never had to complete an emissions test, just the annual State safety check that costs $7 for registration. So what are you talking about with emissions? Is that an Austin thing?

IMO it's obnoxious to take my modern cars in every year before registration, but there's a bunch of knuckleheads on the road that are forced once a year to meet some minimum requirements for everyone else's safely on the road, so I think that's acceptable.

I have a 1972 Bus and 1965 Beetle that would never pass emissions, and I would never be able to drive them if that were the case. So...no way do we need emissions testing, so GTFO with that BS. Less regulations the better.
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit.../overview.html

Quick Facts:

• Houston-Galveston-Brazoria Program Area: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, and Montgomery Counties
  • Dallas-Fort Worth Program Area: Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant Counties
  • Austin Area: Travis and Williamson Counties
  • El Paso Area: El Paso County
  • Vehicles must successfully pass both the emissions and safety portions of the inspection before receiving a passing vehicle inspection report, which is required in order to renew the vehicle's annual registration and obtain a vehicle registration sticker.

San Antonio and Bexar county are currently not required to do emissions test...for now.

IMO, fake paper car plates in Texas are the biggest menace on the roads, not car safety inspections.

Last edited by T3X4S; 05-24-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:54 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 540 Posts

Have driven through TX a dozen times. The bat guano mechanical stuff on the road seems to have gotten worse.
Like a drivers' license, should be age tested. e.g. vehicles over 10 years old.
So if I lived in TX, I would be for inspections by age.
NJ is a few thousand miles from the border, so that opinion doesn't get a vote.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:02 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Utah requires emission inspections but not safety, unless and until the LDS Church decides otherwise. That's sarcasm but it is the way it works with most laws here. Yes I am am (was) an attorney.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
Avera (05-24-2023), jbx2 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 12:27 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by josephvman
In theory, I think it’s a good idea, but in practice it clearly doesn’t keep anyone from driving whatever the hell they want in whatever unsafe condition it may be in. You’d never know we had state inspections if you look at the cars driving around Houston. At this point I’m not sure it changes anything from a safety standpoint to do away with it, but I’ve got 7 vehicles and that sure makes my life easier. I’m okay getting rid of it, but can promise if that happens the state is still going to get their money one way or another.
This ^^^^.......They'll add to our registration fees so they still make money. The safety aspect is a joke anyway.....turn on the wipers, honk the horn, check turn signals, Check tire depth (sometime), and pull out of the stall and hit the brakes.....ok that'll be $25........Phil
Old 05-24-2023, 12:50 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 780 Likes on 478 Posts

I'm a Texas resident as well and I support the theory of annual safety inspections. Driving is a privilege, not a right and my personal safety is directly impacted by the responsible or irresponsible actions of those around me. However, the long existing law for inspections do not deter the many unregistered cars from operating on the roads. As mentioned above, the fake paper tag thing is a bigger issue that needs to be resolved first. The question will be how many people out there only have the bare minimum maintenance performed only because they have to come their annual inspection for registration renewal? I have no doubt that there are many who are otherwise too stupid or too lazy to make simple repairs if not for annual inspections. But will the odds of those people causing an accident into me be increased or will they just break down and cause more traffic? Probably more of the latter. I've been to a lot of third world countries where many cars are barely operational but they aren't out crashing into one another. They just break down, cause traffic, and get patched up again. Also, are there going to be more Carolina squatted trucks and extremely cambered ricers on the road that leads to passage of additional traffic laws for police to enforce like in other states?

Last edited by rasetsu; 05-24-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: State Inspections. For or Against?