Macan 2014-Current

Macan Turbo Safari Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 02:12 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Macan Turbo Safari Build

I finally succumbed to the temptation of doing a mild safari/rally build on my Macan Turbo and, as with the 911 projects, it has turned out to be a slippery slope...a fun one. I've owned my Macan for a little over 2.5 years and have wanted to do this for nearly as long as I've owned it. I'm not a fan of the Cayennes although I know their transmissions and transfer cases are more competent for off road use than the Macan. The Macan is more than enough vehicle for the fire roads, mild off road, beach running, etc..that I want to do, it is smaller and fast as hell. I love it.

One question I'm having difficulty finding an answer to is this: Is Off Road mode mechanically safe for on pavement? I can definitely tell there is a difference with differential lock...Off Road feels like more than increased front wheel drive bias, shifting, etc...the inner rear wheel slips when turning on hard surfaces as if the diff is locked.

What's next? An off road lighting solution is next. As there are very few Macans built this way I have not been successful in finding a light mount that doesn't require cutting the front bumper.

Stock air suspension
Thule roof rack for Macans without rails (win)
iKamper roof top tent...expensive? Yes. Worth it? 100%
18" Konig Hypergrams. One of the few 18" off the shelf wheels that clear the Turbo brake calipers
265/60/18 BFG KO A/T. Same diameter as the stock 21" wheel/tire package...didn't want to deal with skewed mileage or speedo.
Fab Speed Exhaust
So far I can have this completely back to stock in a matter of hours.
Here are some photos of progress thus far.

Right after the tent was mounted at Main Line Overland in Charlotte.

Glamping...chilly, but still glamping

I put it in lowered mode when deploying the tent. One of the great things about stock diameter wheel/tire package is that there is no interference with any of the stock suspension heights.

Last edited by M3 Defector; 02-13-2023 at 01:42 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by M3 Defector:
///Bruce (02-12-2023), earlyapex (06-03-2023), gtxracer (02-28-2023), ilovemaui (02-12-2023), JAhmed (02-14-2023), MarkinMD (02-13-2023), MovingChicane (04-25-2023), signde (03-24-2023), T3X4S (03-23-2023), Wilder (02-13-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:53 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Fantastic. I've considered doing a similar build for the same use with mine. Thanks for the inspo and congrats on doing something interesting with your Macan.
The following users liked this post:
M3 Defector (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 03:33 PM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This isn't my style, but I this its pretty cool! There's a build on YouTube where the guy builds a new style VW bug into a rally type car. He fabed a brush bar designed for a smaller SUV with only a minor cutting of the bumper cover. You may even be able to fab mounts from under the bumper based on the angle. Adding some off road lights could provide a nice look.
M3 Defector (02-15-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:04 AM
nc.detail
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wow, I dig it
M3 Defector (02-15-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:52 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

We saw you at the Rolex 24! So awesome!!!
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

M3 Defector (02-15-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 04:07 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 53 Posts

Well done! Your new setup will get you to 99% of the trailheads in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, etc. Enjoy it!

James
Denver, CO
2020 Macan Base
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (two door, manual)
M3 Defector (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 01:24 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDailey
Well done! Your new setup will get you to 99% of the trailheads in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, etc. Enjoy it!

James
Denver, CO
2020 Macan Base
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (two door, manual)
Thank you! That was my thought, but hearing that from a native really validates the build for me.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:26 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avid
Fantastic. I've considered doing a similar build for the same use with mine. Thanks for the inspo and congrats on doing something interesting with your Macan.
I don't think you'll regret it, but if you do it is so easy to revert back to stock. It is a blast and I drive it so much more than I did before.
Wilder (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:42 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I don't think you'll regret it, but if you do it is so easy to revert back to stock. It is a blast and I drive it so much more than I did before.
Still debating. I'm looking for a 957 Turbo as both a tow and off road vehicle. My Macan is still too nice to submit to off road duty. But when I do start off roading, it will be similar profile to yours. No rock climbing or mud. Mostly climbing mountains and going fast where there are no roads. The Macan I think would be more capable and fun than the Cayenne in that environment due to lower weight and PDK, which is why I'm still undecided.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:02 PM
nevil
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Your build is great. It makes a lot of sense in that it takes the Macan to a level that seems like a natural extension of what that SUV is all about.
cikasfm (03-09-2024)
Old 03-21-2023, 03:32 AM
felixy69
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks amazing.
may i ask how large is the inner diameter of the wheels ?
I have a turbo as well and am starting a safari build with it.. i already have two cayenne offroader.
cikasfm (03-09-2024)
Old 03-21-2023, 10:54 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

They are 18" Konig Hypergrams, I would go on the Konig site for detailed specifications of the wheels. Certainly not all 18" wheels fit.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:53 AM
Hornet_312
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up an S and want to put the same wheel & tire package on that you have here - looks perfect.

A couple questions -

1. From the Konig specs, it looks like the wheels are an exact, hub-centric fit - is that correct?
2. Were you able to use existing lugs & bolts?
3. You mentioned elsewhere that you installed spacers in the rear to push them out a touch. What size did you go with and do you have a link to where you got them?
4. In your video you showed some possible, very faint rubbing - did that continue or have you found any other friction points?

Thanks in advance and cheers for making your Macan the look how (I think) it should from the factory. Perhaps a Safari variant is coming.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:06 PM
felixy69
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hornet_312
I just picked up an S and want to put the same wheel & tire package on that you have here - looks perfect.

A couple questions -

1. From the Konig specs, it looks like the wheels are an exact, hub-centric fit - is that correct?
2. Were you able to use existing lugs & bolts?
3. You mentioned elsewhere that you installed spacers in the rear to push them out a touch. What size did you go with and do you have a link to where you got them?
4. In your video you showed some possible, very faint rubbing - did that continue or have you found any other friction points?

Thanks in advance and cheers for making your Macan the look how (I think) it should from the factory. Perhaps a Safari variant is coming.
where did u see his videos ?
Old 03-24-2023, 07:36 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I finally succumbed to the temptation of doing a mild safari/rally build on my Macan Turbo and, as with the 911 projects, it has turned out to be a slippery slope...a fun one. I've owned my Macan for a little over 2.5 years and have wanted to do this for nearly as long as I've owned it. I'm not a fan of the Cayennes although I know their transmissions and transfer cases are more competent for off road use than the Macan. The Macan is more than enough vehicle for the fire roads, mild off road, beach running, etc..that I want to do, it is smaller and fast as hell. I love it.

One question I'm having difficulty finding an answer to is this: Is Off Road mode mechanically safe for on pavement? I can definitely tell there is a difference with differential lock...Off Road feels like more than increased front wheel drive bias, shifting, etc...the inner rear wheel slips when turning on hard surfaces as if the diff is locked.

What's next? An off road lighting solution is next. As there are very few Macans built this way I have not been successful in finding a light mount that doesn't require cutting the front bumper.

Stock air suspension
Thule roof rack for Macans without rails (win)
iKamper roof top tent...expensive? Yes. Worth it? 100%
18" Konig Hypergrams. One of the few 18" off the shelf wheels that clear the Turbo brake calipers
265/60/18 BFG KO A/T. Same diameter as the stock 21" wheel/tire package...didn't want to deal with skewed mileage or speedo.
Fab Speed Exhaust
So far I can have this completely back to stock in a matter of hours.
Here are some photos of progress thus far.

Right after the tent was mounted at Main Line Overland in Charlotte.

Glamping...chilly, but still glamping

I put it in lowered mode when deploying the tent. One of the great things about stock diameter wheel/tire package is that there is no interference with any of the stock suspension heights.
I think I saw you at Amelia Island Werks. Love the build.

Quick Reply: Macan Turbo Safari Build