Macan 2014-Current

Failed Air Suspension Components

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:09 AM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Failed Air Suspension Components

My air compressor failed so the dealer installed a new one (unit was from Germany, cost was $500 delivered vs. $2k from Porsche!) now the control unit is not working properly. My question now is did my old compressor cause the control unit to fail? Will the new unit fail again with a new compressor? Fuse and relay were replaced p, they were both ok according to the dealer. Any thoughts appreciated!

My Macan is a 2017 GTS model with 83k miles.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:23 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Seapbmw
My air compressor failed so the dealer installed a new one (unit was from Germany, cost was $500 delivered vs. $2k from Porsche!) now the control unit is not working properly. My question now is did my old compressor cause the control unit to fail? Will the new unit fail again with a new compressor? Fuse and relay were replaced p, they were both ok according to the dealer. Any thoughts appreciated!

My Macan is a 2017 GTS model with 83k miles.
Was the problem misdiagnosed in the first place?
Old 01-25-2023, 12:28 AM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Good question, the factory compressor was removed and it was non functional so the diagnosis was correct. The question is what failed first and what will prevent the new components from failing?
Old 02-07-2023, 01:34 PM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Update -

The final bill to replace both the compressor and control unit is $2097.14. This is for labor and for the control unit, I purchased an aftermarket compressor for $500 vs the OEM quote of $2,200. PNA is not standing behind this car, lesson learned…..buy the aftermarket warranty!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:17 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

I think they took you for a ride....

A bad air compressor can't damage the electronic control module. There is a relay that isolates the air compressor from the control module. The control module only controls the low current of the relay coil.

The "Solenoid Block" (the air valves) also connects to the electronic control module, and if a solenoid coil is shorted, that might damage the control module.

What are the part numbers of what they replaced?

Last edited by VAGfan; 02-07-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:21 PM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VAGfan
I think they took you for a ride....
A bad air compressor can't damage the electronic control module. There is a relay that isolates the air compressor from the control module. The control module only controls the low current of the relay coil.
Good point but I had the compressor and new relay installed and operating before the control module was replaced so the compressor was bad. Everything worked normally except the control unit would not keep the car level.

Quick Reply: Failed Air Suspension Components